FRIDAY night - What are you doin'?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I'm spinning some platters at the weekly Friday throwdown at the record store around the corner. (Tony, come thru and bring a bag full of tunes!) It feels really good to get back to playing music for people in a space where it's appreciated.Last week I did a set of 45s. We have a HUGE speaker out on the sidewalk and several people came in from off the street because "You Can't Blame Me" hit them right. One dude had on that Jimmy Castor track that growls "GOTTA FIND A WOMAN!" right when a flock of honey dips walked by and everyone busted up with ironic laughter. Later on a cop came in and told us to turn the music down - it was seriously loud! This week I'm stepping into a bit of funky soul (LPs) and we are debuting a device that will be projecting what's going on in the store outside on the concrete. I started pulling records at lunch and I think I'm gonna kick it off with the first track on "Those Sexy Moments," if you can get to that. Who knows where I'll go from there...It's a beautiful day out (60 degrees and sunny). Hopefully it'll still be nice this evening which will mean heavy foot traffic around the neighborhood.After all that I'm heading back to the crib to catch the second half of the Pistons/Sixers game.What are ya'll up to?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

mb

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    will pack my records now and go to this bar where i will dj for my own birthday! Ha! Enjoy yourselves in the real world, I will start now!!!!

peace,

dojah

• i'm nearly done packing my bags for a gig at the opening of a new club in a town nearby. a friend of mine is the resident and invited me to be the featured guest- nice.

only worry is that i'm in the mood for some nice jazz, soul ballads and folky ramblings.... not going to work on a dancefloor! so trying to pack w/ the dancefloor in mind and we'll see what the night brings. didnt pack any hiphop for the first time in years (hi Crink), and am looking forward to playing stuff like Northend "Tee's Happy" and Class Action's "Weekend"

The weather: freezing and pretty wet / slippery outside (:cold)

What are ya'll up to?

• Either

A) Going to a kegger
    B) Hanging out with my girl
    C) Working late

I forsee C being the one.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    going out to dinner/bowling with my girl and her sister... hoping to drink my cold away.

• Dry walling the living room ceiling, drinking PBR & listening to the NPR membership drive...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Art opening in DC.

• home cooking at my homegirls place. korean food!!! FUCK YEAH! homecooking is the best.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Getting my hair cut, then home. Maybe watch a movie with the wife.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Either I'll be drinking this...

or this...

• Either I'll be drinking this...

or this...

Mix them on the half and half tip.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

or this...

Shit yeah!!

*I'm out, bitches!!*

or this...

Semi-related.

How does one make a "Snakebite"?

How do you seperate the Guiness Stout from the ale? I can never get it right.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    home cooking at my homegirls place. korean food!!! FUCK YEAH! homecooking is the best.

I'm going to my gurls parents food spot tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing better than all you can eat broiled bulgogi & Dolsot Bibim bap

Tonight I'm helping a friend move and after work I'm gonna go look at a bike to maybe purchase.

or this...

Semi-related.

Same, I've never been able to make a proper one.

or this...

Semi-related.

damnit.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    mashing to dc in about ten minutes.

or this...

Semi-related.

damnit.

Oh wait.. a snakebite you use a cider tho no? Strongbowwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Either I'll be drinking this...

or this...

Semi-related.

damnit.

If you mean a black and tan I can help. Bend a cheap metal spoon so it can rest on the edge of the glass with back side of the spoon facing up in the middle of the glass (does this even make sense?). Pour the Guinness very slowly directly over the back of the spoon. This should help keep them separated.

• Mix them on the half and half tip.

Semi-related.

damnit.

you need a special Guiness spoon, like the ones you make a black and tan with. I assume you can do it with a regular spoon too, just pour over the spoon very, very slowley into the glass.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    It's a toss up between a) sitting at home, smoking some dope, drinking some scotch, and listening to some records or b) going right to bed. Such are the pleasures of Fredericton. Truth be told, I couldn't say whether that last statement was sarcastic.

• i'm going to check out Ralph Towner. i'm stoked!!!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

There is nothing better than all you can eat broiled bulgogi & Dolsot Bibim bap

never heard of the stuff, but i can think of a few responses

-

- i'd tap

- ayo

i have a crush on this girl i've known for years but we recently both moved to the same neighborhood so we been hanging more often. at 10 last night, she called me and invited me to the quik concert. then we kissed for the first time afterwards.

we'll be drinking at her place with some of her friends and some of mine, then going out to vine st lounge, star shoes if anyone finds out if cut chemist is playing there - anyone?, or el carmen tonight. [/gushstrut]

will pack my records now and go to this bar where i will dj for my own birthday! Ha! Enjoy yourselves in the real world, I will start now!!!!

peace,

dojah

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STICKY DOJO

• i have a crush on this girl i've known for years but we recently both moved to the same neighborhood so we been hanging more often. at 10 last night, she called me and invited me to the quik concert. then we kissed for the first time afterwards.

we'll be drinking at her place with some of her friends and some of mine, then going out to vine st lounge, star shoes if anyone finds out if cut chemist is playing there - anyone?, or el carmen tonight. [/gushstrut]

Thats awsome, except for the fact that I just pictured Silvo from the Soprano's doing all that stuff and it kind of made me laugh and feel sick at the same time.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I wish I could check Drew out but I'll be making chicken and rib platters on 5th street in Philly at Ribs R Us!...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I wish I could check Drew out but I'll be making chicken and rib platters on 5th street in Philly at Ribs R Us!...

: OH SNAP : really? Until what time?!

i have a crush on this girl i've known for years but we recently both moved to the same neighborhood so we been hanging more often. at 10 last night, she called me and invited me to the quik concert. then we kissed for the first time afterwards.

Thats awsome, except for the fact that I just pictured Silvo from the Soprano's doing all that stuff and it kind of made me laugh and feel sick at the same time.

sometimes i like to think of myself as a young syl