Herzog Saves Johnny Cash (Atn: AwDamn)

emyndemynd 830 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
A****y and dem,You see this?http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,18278,00.html Werner Herzog to Joaquin's Rescue!by Josh GrossbergFeb 2, 2006, 10:10 AM PTWe have a pretty good idea who Joaquin Phoenix's favorite director is these days.In an only-in-La-La Land bit of serendipity, Phoenix tells the Los Angeles Times that none other than famed German director Werner Herzog came to his rescue after Phoenix accidentally flipped his car last week on a winding canyon road.The 31-year-old actor, who scored an Oscar nomination earlier this week for his performance as Johnny Cash in the biopic Walk the Line, walked away from the mishap escaping serious injury.According to the police report, the actor was driving along Lookout Mountain Avenue near Laurel Canyon Boulevard in the Hollywood Hills at about 3 p.m., when his brakes suddenly gave out. Trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle, Phoenix veered his car into an embankment, where it overturned, causing the driver's side airbag to deploy. The other driver was uninjured.After the vehicle rolled over on its roof, Phoenix, who was wearing his seatbelt was flung into the passenger side. He told the Times he felt "a bit confused."Enter Herzog."I remember this knocking on the passenger window," Phoenix said. "There was this German voice saying, 'Just relax.' There's the air bag. I can't see, and I'm saying, 'I'm fine. I am relaxed.' ""Finally, I rolled down the window and this head pops inside. And he said, 'No, you're not.' And suddenly I said to myself, 'That's Werner Herzog!' " There's something so calming and beautiful about Werner Herzog's voice. I felt completely fine and safe. I climbed out."An icon of German cinema, Herzog has been known for his sometimes reckless, hot-tempered and even dangerous approach to filmmaking--particularly in his ability to coax masterful performances from his onscreen foil, eccentric German acting legend Klaus Kinski. The two collaborated on such '70s classics as Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Woyzeck and Nosferatu.In the Criterion documentary Burden of Dreams, chronicling the making of the epic Fitzcarraldo, Herzog is shown deftly handling the seemingly half-crazed Kinski and commanding his crew to haul a steamboat over a mountain at a 40-degree angle.In 1980, the volatile director famously ate his shoe--no, we're not kidding--after losing a bet with a filmmaker Errol Morris. Herzog scarfed down the boiled footwear with a bit of garlic and Tabasco sauce as he held forth on art, literature and life, all captured in the documentary Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe.The 63-year-old's latest production is his most acclaimed in years. The documentary Grizzly Man details the heartwrenching story of naturalist Timothy Treadwell who became famous--and controversial--for his up-close-and-personal encounters with bears in the wilds of Alaska before meeting an untimely end. The film earned Herzog the award for Best Documentary Director from the Directors Guild of America last weekend. (The film was deemed not eligible for the Oscars.)Herzog could not be reached for comment, but a rep for Lions Gate, the studio that released Grizzly Man, confirmed the director had indeed helped Phoenix out of the wreckage. And the actor is grateful."I got out of the car and I said, 'Thank you,' " Phoenix recounted. "And he was gone."

Comments

• uhh...he wasn't in Brokeback Mountain. Was he?

• Joaquin played Johnny Cash, not a gay cowboy.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Same shit.

(i.e. I'm retarded.... subject has been edited to hide retardation)

-e

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I heard about JP's brakes failing and flipping his car. In the movies brakes fail and cars flip all the time, but in real life they rarely do. A few years ago I had 62 Falcon wagon whose brakes would fail on cold mornings, but I'm guessing Phoenix drives something a little newer, a little more dependable, a little better maintained, and a little better engineered.

I am a cynical guy. I'm thing hey Phoenix knows guys who know how to make cars flip over, maybe the whole thing was staged. Maybe he was hoping to get sympathy votes for the oscars. Maybe he wanted his name in the tabloids, but didn't want to date Jennifer Aniston.

What I really want to say is Aguirre Wrath Of God is the scariest movie I have ever seen.

Dan

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I am a cynical guy. I'm thing hey Phoenix knows guys who know how to make cars flip over, maybe the whole thing was staged. Maybe he was hoping to get sympathy votes for the oscars. Maybe he wanted his name in the tabloids, but didn't want to date Jennifer Aniston.

I'm with you man... I think everything in Hollywood is staged. And I mean everything.

DJ Ferrari

• The film earned Herzog the award for Best Documentary Director from the Directors Guild of America last weekend. (The film was deemed not eligible for the Oscars.)

Why? Was it TOO good or something?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Wow... Herzog is the man.

- spidey

• Wow... Herzog is the man.

- spidey

Co-sign...

check this out... Werner Herzog Shot During Interview

• "Herzog, as if it was the most normal thing in the world, said, 'Oh, someone is shooting at us. We must go.'

"He had a bruise the size of a snooker ball, with a hole in. He just carried on with the interview while bleeding quietly in his boxer shorts."

An unrepentant Herzog insisted, "It was not a significant bullet. I am not afraid."

This guy is definately

Dude's film "White Diamond" is most beatiful.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    You guys are seriously fucking retarted if you think Joaquins car flipping over was a publicity stunt.

This IS the same crowd who thought that Cassidy shootign some kid was a PR stunt too, though. I shouldn't be surprised.

[soulstrut]I think Abe Lincoln's assasination was masterminded by his PR man, to ensure his place in the history books! [/soulstrut]

You guys are seriously fucking retarted if you think Joaquins car flipping over was a publicity stunt.

This IS the same crowd who thought that Cassidy shootign some kid was a PR stunt too, though. I shouldn't be surprised.

[soulstrut]I think Abe Lincoln's assasination was masterminded by his PR man, to ensure his place in the history books! [/soulstrut]

I stand accused, I don't think anyone else has said it was a publicity stunt.

Dan

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    hmm, on rereading my post, I come off SUPER confrontational. My bad Laser. I was just struck by the fact that Jaoquin could have been seriously injured and it seems like people can be so calous when it comes to things like that.

Gamble.

• What I really want to say is Aguirre Wrath Of God is the scariest movie I have ever seen.

In what sense? I just saw this and although I think it was a good movie, I didn't find it scary at all.

I've never heard of Werner Herzog 'til this thread. Well, I heard the name but really wasn't familiar with his work. I saw Grizzly Man a couple days ago and decided to rent Aguirre after reading the above quote and the thread that mentioned that Klaus Klinski dude. (What's his deal? Is he supposed to be one of "the greats?" I'm being serious here. He didn't seem too mindblowing in Aguirre, although his skill might've been lost in the subtitle translation.)

What else should I check from these 2 guys? I'm thinking of keeping Aguirre an extra day or two to watch it again with Herzog's commentary. The little I've heard so far seemed pretty interesting.

Herm

P.S. To add to his reputation, in the opening scenes of the commentary version of the movie, Herzog states that for some reason, he was turned away at the last moment from taking the flight he originally booked to get to the Andes. That plane ended up crashing in the mountains leaving only one 17-year old female survivor. Crazy...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Herzog is the man.

While a great director his performance in Julian Donkey Boy is also something to treasure.

What I really want to say is Aguirre Wrath Of God is the scariest movie I have ever seen.

In what sense? I just saw this and although I think it was a good movie, I didn't find it scary at all.

I've never heard of Werner Herzog 'til this thread. Well, I heard the name but really wasn't familiar with his work. I saw Grizzly Man a couple days ago and decided to rent Aguirre after reading the above quote and the thread that mentioned that Klaus Klinski dude. (What's his deal? Is he supposed to be one of "the greats?" I'm being serious here. He didn't seem too mindblowing in Aguirre, although his skill might've been lost in the subtitle translation.)

What else should I check from these 2 guys? I'm thinking of keeping Aguirre an extra day or two to watch it again with Herzog's commentary. The little I've heard so far seemed pretty interesting.

Herm

P.S. To add to his reputation, in the opening scenes of the commentary version of the movie, Herzog states that for some reason, he was turned away at the last moment from taking the flight he originally booked to get to the Andes. That plane ended up crashing in the mountains leaving only one 17-year old female survivor. Crazy...

I'm guessing seeing it on the big screen is one difference.

The other difference is I totally believed that Klinski was a mad man floating down the Amazon with monkeys swarming over him. And that is what was so scary, just totally believing it to be real. (After I figured out why the Spanish Conquistadors were speaking German.)

I should also say I almost never go see Friday 13th, Chainsaw Massacre type movies. So when I say it's the scariest movie I've seen I'm comparing it to things like When Harry Met Sally.

Dan

• werner is amazing. i loved that phoenix noted how calming and pleasant his voice is, that's what everyone says when they hear his narration for the first time.

so yeah, werner saving lives is one thing. but this and the story where he gets shot and continues the interview while bleeding is much too much. this man has already had such an interesting life and legacy and now at age 63, this saving lives & getting shot biz?

CANTSTOPWONTSTOP

It's a shame that Grizzly Man got snubbed for Best Documentary

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I'm with you man... I think everything in Hollywood is staged. And I mean everything.

DJ Ferrari

i'm with gamble, i think this is way too far to go for some publicity... if you guys are serious. on the other hand, i don't buy a "brakes failed" excuse either, and its not asking too much to believe that he and werner were drinking absinthe and conducting orgies with high school girls in the car while trying to navigate the curvy canyons above sunset blvd.