FatStrut

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Banner from Soulstrut.com forums February 2nd, 15:11 GMT.If this is what Google's ad-keyword-unit-algorithm comes up with record nerds are overweight.DISCUSS WEIGHT

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm working on a spare tire. Thankfully, it's only like a small bike tire. Maybe a 10-speed. Still, I need more excercise. I'ma start jogging again when it's a little warmer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The Mcdonald's California Cobb Salas w/ Crispy Chicken - without the dressing-
    contains more fat(18g) than one regular cheeseburger(12g).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    maybe all that "big dude" talk paid off.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm currently in the worst shape of my life. For the first time in 34 years I've gotta start watching what I eat. I'm still taking appointments to hand out beatdowns during the Austin Record Convention though. Be the first on your block to have Archaic bloody your lip.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

best movie i've never seen.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I'm all about sports

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man... Big people really do get hit bad... Almost anywhere I ever go, if there's someone really big, people are looking at them with pure ignorace. I feel bad, cause I do it too. Just this morning I walked to work and passed someone who was hanging outside their work eating a donut and smoking. She was around 300-350. Part of me is on some "Shouldn't judge" type shit and the other part of me wants to slap them up side the head.

But I've really been trying to not judge anyone since I took a flight around 94 and saw someone approach a large person and tell them they were taking up two seats and would have to pay for the second seat. They broke out in tears saying they didn't have the money and was asked to leave the plane.

Life truly is a bitch...

Man... Big people really do get hit bad... Almost anywhere I ever go, if there's someone really big, people are looking at them with pure ignorace. I feel bad, cause I do it too. Just this morning I walked to work and passed someone who was hanging outside their work eating a donut and smoking. She was around 300-350. Part of me is on some "Shouldn't judge" type shit and the other part of me wants to slap them up side the head.

But I've really been trying to not judge anyone since I took a flight around 94 and saw someone approach a large person and tell them they were taking up two seats and would have to pay for the second seat. They broke out in tears saying they didn't have the money and was asked to leave the plane.

Life truly is a bitch...

I feel you on that. I try my best not to judge but slipped up just two days ago. Yesterday too. I read police reports as part of my job. Some guy was complaining of telephone harrassment. I guess some guy who's in prison calls him 10 times a day asking to accept a collect call. The guy doesn't want anything to do with the convict so he always declines the calls, and wants them to stop. Anyway, the dude is prison was listed on the report as weighing 500 pounds (?!?!). Then yesterday in my cafeteria's lunch room, I caught myself shaking my head on the inside when this woman who easily is tipping the scales at 300 pounds was eating these chips so fast, I couldn't even understand what she was saying. Now, I was gesturing on the inside but I think she felt my inner contempt.

Big people got enough to worry about. Most of the time, they are like the way they are because of their genes. They don't need other people telling what's wrong. They know it more than anything else on the earth.

• Most of the time, they are like the way they are because of their genes.

emmm, no. maybe so if they are pacific islanders

please show me an obese person who got that way without eating loads of processed foods.

Most of the time, they are like the way they are because of their genes.

please show me an obese person who got that way without eating loads of processed foods.

You're right. You are born with the potential to be 300 pounds. Doritos help you cross the finish line.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Doritos help you cross the finish line.

Shit... That made me laugh out loud!

• I used to be a big dude. 232 lbs was my max weight. I said fuck it and started excercising and watching what I eat. I was at a low of 163 and my weight now is 177 which I'm happy at. I want to drop a few more pounds as I'm happiest at about 170 lbs.

A lot of fat people just eat too much. I have a friend who weights probably 300 to 325 lbs (she won't tell me) who is struggling to lose the weight but every time I'm with her she goes out to eat. Sometimes she eats stuff she shouldn't like mexican food and I just want to slap her because she's just making herself unhappy.

For those that care I joined Weight Watchers online to help lose the weight. It really helped a lot.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Anyone else use this?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Life truly is a bitch...

It is just as rough for the people who have to tell them. My mother was a flight attendant for 30 years, and she hated having to break such news. She wouldnt do it in front of other passengers though, damn.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    weights probably 300 to 325 lbs (she won't tell me)

damn dude, you asked?!?!?!!

BALLSY.

Thats like, if a woman asks you to guess her age, you take your real guess and subtract anywhere from 5 to 10 years and then answer. and then pretend like you are shocked when they tell you the real answer.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i think the answer is pretty obvious... basically, in american society, it takes a conscious effort NOT to be fat...

people drive, take elevators, escalators, moving sidewalks instead of walking.

people watch movies, play video games, watch tv, fuck around on the internet instead of going on a bike ride or playing basketball or whatever

the majority of food in supermarkets is full of extra salt, sugar, and fat.

where, for a large amount of people in the underclass, besides drinking and drugs, their only consistant pleasurable outlet is FOOD. sucks, but it's true. when you see some fat lady sitting in buger king wolfing down a whopper, it's b/c a whopper tastes good, it's a pleasurable experience to eat one and this lady can't afford go on a vacation or whatever people with money do for pleasure...

that said, on the other hand, it's pretty simple NOT to the above, and often cheaper... i.e. taking the train to Jamaica Bay and going on a birdwatchiing hike is 2 bucks each way... a new play station game is 50 bucks...

when i see fat people filling up their grocery cart with more processed crap, i don't hate them or get angry, i just feel bad, as it shows food is filling a hole inside them and it's going to kill them...

i have no idea why i felt i had to type all of that...

i think the answer is pretty obvious... basically, in american society, it takes a conscious effort NOT to be fat...

people watch movies, play video games, watch tv, fuck around on the internet instead of going on a bike ride or playing basketball or whatever

where, for a large amount of people in the underclass, besides drinking and drugs, their only consistant pleasurable outlet is FOOD. sucks, but it's true. when you see some fat lady sitting in buger king wolfing down a whopper, it's b/c a whopper tastes good, it's a pleasurable experience to eat one and this lady can't afford go on a vacation or whatever people with money do for pleasure...

that said, on the other hand, it's pretty simple NOT to the above, and often cheaper... i.e. taking the train to Jamaica Bay and going on a birdwatchiing hike is 2 bucks each way... a new play station game is 50 bucks...

when i see fat people filling up their grocery cart with more processed crap, i don't hate them or get angry, i just feel bad, as it shows food is filling a hole inside them and it's going to kill them...

For the most part, too, all that crappy food is way cheaper.

• weights probably 300 to 325 lbs (she won't tell me)

damn dude, you asked?!?!?!!

BALLSY.

Thats like, if a woman asks you to guess her age, you take your real guess and subtract anywhere from 5 to 10 years and then answer. and then pretend like you are shocked when they tell you the real answer.

I didn't ask. We talked about health and weight loss a lot. I'm trying to help her lose weight.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    while being fat can come from genes Americans in general seem to eat rather unhealthy. McDonalds isn't some fluke restaurant.

Here in LA I find myself sitting at a cubicle for most of my work day and thats bookeneded with two hour and a half drives to and from work. I'm the opposite of fat but I need to make the time everyday to get in good exercise (running, weightlifting).
    I comparrison a lot of my heavier friends seem not to care so much about their weight and health.

the 130 lbs mark is just on the horizon for me, should I be worried?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

yes and no.

if you are too busy too cook, yes. if not, no. i.e. buying raw ingridients is cheaper than buying processed anything. but, yeah, buying a donut is cheaper than buying a whole grain muffin...

on the other hand, the closet supermarket near me is in the projects and i do see people fill up their cart with the nastiest junk food ever and pay with food stamps. (and i also see latin grandmas fill up their cart with mad amounts of fruits and vegetables (and pork shoulders! yum!) and pay with benefits, as well...)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

yes and no.

if you are too busy too cook, yes. if not, no. i.e. buying raw ingridients is cheaper than buying processed anything. but, yeah, buying a donut is cheaper than buying a whole grain muffin...

food is only one part of the fat equation. exercise is just as important.

People do not make the time to do so, if folks took 30 minutes a day to run some laps, do some push ups or some other exercise we'd have a much slimmer nation.

And another great and easy thing to do is drink water[/b] instead of soda or beer. So simple yet so difficult for most.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Most of the time, they are like the way they are because of their genes.

ive never met a fat person that wasn't lazy as fuck. people that are big from genes are bigger maybe but they arent FAT. if your tricep fat hangs over your elbow, that aint genes.

Its not genes, but its definitely metabolism issues, and people not being aware about how certain foods effect their body. Diet and excercise is the main cure of course, but its often not as easy as you would think.

Certain foods effect people in different ways, but the main problem is that people with less money eat crappy foods because most of the time its what they can afford.

Then you combine that with the fact that 47 million americans have no health insurance and you get alot of undiagnosed thyroid disease, food alergies, pre diabetes type conditions, and a multitude of other health problems. Its not genes that determine that you will be fat, but if you are unaware of how to best take care of your health, then it will probably happen.

Personally, im pretty heavy myself. Ive had thyroid problems most of my life and wasnt as responsible as i should have been about medicating them. Its a simple fact of life that if you are carrying around alot of extra weight, you will have alot less energy, hence the perception that you are a lazy fuck.

In my case, ive been getting alot better medical treatment recently, and with the vitamins and other suppliments ive been taking, ive had alot more energy to work out. But before that, it was pretty tough to get up the energy.

I weight about 260, so i could stand to lose some weight for sure, but im not morbidly obese either. That kind of thing i really do think is some kind of disease.

But it all goes back to diet. People stay hungry because their body isnt getting the right kinds of nutrients, so as a result they keep eating. Its a vicious cycle and it isnt getting any better when most of the foods we eat are stripped of most of the nutrients we need by preservatives and chemicals.

If you've never had a weight problem, good, im happy for you. But I still do not understand the sort of hostility that people direct towards fat people. As a fat record nerd, fat record nerd jokes dont really bother me too much. But i could do without alot of the judgemental hatred people for some reason feel compelled to throw at someone who is merely overweight.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yeah, everyone should get off the sodas and sugar drinks though. You will feel alot better just from doing that and drinking water instead.

• Things that helped me lose weight -

1. Controlling portions
    2. No fast foods
    3. Putting more vegetables in my meals
    4. Switching from regular to diet sodas
    5. Drinking more coffee (good appetite suppressant)
    6. Walking a lot more

I almost never did any type of cardio and lost about 70 pounds. Excercise helps but just being active is usually enough to lose weight. Getting on a program like Weight Watchers is pretty important too as it teaches you a lot about diet, portions, cooking, etc.

• I took a flight around 94 and saw someone approach a large person and tell them they were taking up two seats and would have to pay for the second seat. They broke out in tears saying they didn't have the money and was asked to leave the plane.

man now I'MA break into tears. that shit is really sad.

• anyone got the Slim Goodbody record? I need to lose about 50 pounds or so...gold label Fanias for trade.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I have mixed feelings about that story. Of course, I feel terrible for anyone who gets called out in such a way. That's really rough.

On the other hand, if you're flying across the country next to a person who is basically taking up at least half of your entitled space, then that's miserable for you.

• food is only one part of the fat equation. exercise is just as important.

People do not make the time to do so, if folks took 30 minutes a day to run some laps, do some push ups or some other exercise we'd have a much slimmer nation.

And another great and easy thing to do is drink water[/b] instead of soda or beer. So simple yet so difficult for most.

Exercise is definitely important. When I moved to Tennessee for college in '98 I weighed around 280 pounds or so, then my gall bladder stopped working and in the span of 3 months I lost 70 pounds just due to not eating. Had my gall bladder removed, was eating again and before I knew it I was back up to around 270 or so. Finally got sick of that and just decided it was time to get in shape. The FIRST thing I did was cut myself the fuck off from Coke. My roommates and I drank Coke like fiends and I can't even imagine how many empty calories I got from it. So I started eating healthier and started going to the campus gym and exercising 4-5 times a week. Within a year I was back down to 210 and feeling a lot better. Now, to a lot of people 210 would be fucking fat but I have a big frame so even in great shape I'll still weigh 185, so 210 was a good starting point. All it took was getting my fat ass moving. Going to the gym was the key, but walking to classes each day helped too.

Then I graduated college and moved back home and got lazy again. Due to my gall bladder issue I don't eat fast food because I can't digest things high in fat but there's no fat in sugar. I hang out with friends at a bar a couple nights a week and lately play poker a couple nights a week so for a while I've been drinking Coke a lot again. I also don't have guaranteed daily exercise in walking to and from classes, and sitting on my fat ass in front of the computer for hours each night hasn't helped matters. Over the course of the past 4 years my weight has crept back up to 280 and I'm back to being in close to the worst shape of my life so finally I've reached the breaking point. I've finally started eating healthy again. I've had a heavy bag in my basement for a couple years now but never got around to using it, but now I finally got the boxing gear I need and am hitting the bag. I need to be getting my fat ass to the gym 4-5 times a week again and just keep at it to see results. As soon as I get a job I'm going to hire a personal trainer to keep me motivated.

Really, you reach the breaking point when you bend over to tie your shoes and because your big gut gets in the way you break a sweat from not being able to breathe when you bend over. I've also noticed I snore a lot more now than I used to and my sleeping is all fucked up and not restful which I kind of fear might be the signs of sleep apnea. Bad shit. It's time to get in shape.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    as much as i try to not judge and shit, whenever i see a mufuckah eating ten cheeseburgers and washing shit down with a large coke, i can't help but shake my head. this one dude alwayws comes into my cafe and has trouble walking cos he's so fat, his hands shake cos he's so fat, and what does he buy? a slice of cheesecake and some iced tea that has like 20% of the sugar you need for the day. shit cant be helping.. I do think that a lot of people just give up and that is kinda depressing if you think about it