do you like hyphie music?

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
me, not so much. wasn't really feeling "super hyphy" or "turf talk" and i think "tell me when to go" is cool for the dancefloor but not much else. these seem to be the big hyphie cuts of recent.when i was liivng up north a few years ago, i was ready for the bay to blow up (you know, as in becoming the "new south" ), but if this movement is the best they're coming with, i don't see it really see it happenening.anyway, i think its a lost cause for me, but recommend some hyphie jams that may make me reconsider.

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    yes

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    yes

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i enjoy a good portion of the rap the bay area has been putting out for the past couple of years.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    "Hyphie Juice".... umm... Discuss!

and i like turf talk... die mandrew... I KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE!

• you're a racist who can't seem to identify with soulfull and conscious pleas of Dope Game's "Chicago California" then

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    and i like turf talk
    and i like turf talk
    and i like turf talk
    and i like turf talk
    and i like turf talk
    and i like turf talk

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

and i know what you look like:

and what?

• you're a racist who can't seem to identify with soulfull and conscious pleas of Dope Game's "Chicago California" then

No, I just think it sucks.

• Just bought about five records worth of that stuff today. It's different, and yes I like it.

and what?

ummm... i dont look ANYTHING like that picture... though if dude lost 200lbs you and him can have a resemblance... dont make me send your woman hella country records that she can play on your turntables...

and what?

ummm... i dont look ANYTHING like that picture... though if dude lost 200lbs you and him can have a resemblance... dont make me send your woman hella country records that she can play on your turntables...

whatever, you're in denial

why don't you go teach ignorant young males to be cheap wino misogynists or something?
    but yeah send said country racords too

ITS JUST HYPHY. SILLYIOUSLY.

HAZ I CAN GET DOWN TO THAT FEDERATION TRACK, BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY SOUND LIKE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED SONGS.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ITS JUST HYPHY. SILLYIOUSLY.

HAZ I CAN GET DOWN TO THAT FEDERATION TRACK, BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY SOUND LIKE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED SONGS.
    here's a mix that might be along the lines of what you are looking for: http://shop.rapbay.com/product_info.php?products_id=3359
    Also get both Slump and Grinds if you don't have them yet

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Try this, too. Some Turf Teezy:

http://rapidshare.de/files/12353575/06-turf_talk-sav_out_feat_ya_boy_bailey-cr.mp3.html

Wish there was a 12" for this.

peace

h

• i can't listen to music at work right now but what constitutes a hyphie track. I ain't up on that bay shit. educate.

gracias.

• Hyphie Music

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i can't listen to music at work right now but what constitutes a hyphie track.

Hmm...

Here's an article from msnbc on Hyphy music - "California's Latest Sound"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6826555/site/newsweek

"hyphy is a hybrid of late-'80s Bay Area minimalist old-school beats and a contemporary hip-hop vocal delivery. ???It???s shake-your-dreadlock music.??? "

• this thread is lame.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Be the first on your block to act too high and mighty to appreciate hyphy.

Has hip-hop reached the point where it's perceived as more cool to be a backlashing hateur than an enthusiastic fan?

I think so...and I can't stand it.

So you ain't feeling this or that-> get lost already.

why don't you go teach ignorant young males to be cheap wino misogynists or something?

maybe its because i have no idea whos in this pictures... but the "cheap wino misogynists" comment was kinda wack... other than that, ive had 4 beers since december and no hard liquor at all. on top of that, ive only had one glass of wine and one glass of champagne since then too.

so i be a wino no more... still is a harsh comment though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    this thread is lame.

• "i can't turn this down/ i've been waitin' so long for the shit to come out"
    -turf talk iz back

• Be the first on your block to act too high and mighty to appreciate hyphy.

Has hip-hop reached the point where it's perceived as more cool to be a backlashing hateur than an enthusiastic fan?

I think you were talking to the original poster of the thread, but just so we're clear, I have been into the Bay Area Rap scene in all its incarnations for as long as I have listened to rap music.

Be the first on your block to act too high and mighty to appreciate hyphy.

I think you were talking to the original poster of the thread, but just so we're clear, I have been into the Bay Area Rap scene in all its incarnations for as long as I have listened to rap music.

Of course I wasn't talking to you...who has worked with an underappreciated Oakland OG such as 427.

Kirby told me he was about to send me some new schtuff. Have you heard it yet?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I remember when people used to be all about "don't subdivide hip hop music! its all rap!" and blah blah and now you got hyphy music and snap music and bounce music and throwback music and gangsta rap and intimate club and regular club and etc etc etc. As for me, I was always about subdividing shit. i think its awesome, and also in man's nature to categorize. so yeah, i'm glad people got out of that phase.

but yeah, i dont know what hyphy is either. if it sounds like lil jon like somebody else was saying then i'll pass. if it sounds like mac dre then i shallt exploreth maybe.

• Be the first on your block to act too high and mighty to appreciate hyphy.

Of course I wasn't talking to you...who has worked with an underappreciated Oakland OG such as 427.

Kirby told me he was about to send me some new schtuff. Have you heard it yet?

NIGGAZ & WHITE GIRLZ

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    this thread is lame.

Showing his nasty

NIGGAZ & WHITE GIRLZ