Same Artist Same Title

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
TK 602 is George McCrae lp titled George McCraeTK 608 is George McCrae lp titled George McCrae1975 & 1978 respectfully.2 differnt lps.Why was TK so stupid? Cocaine?Lots of other examples of artists with albums with the same title, but I think this is the only one that is also on the same label.Dan

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Cocaine!

Barrabas (i think those 2 were on diff labels.....RCA and ATCO???? Still even more reason not to repeat)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    TK 602 is George McCrae lp titled George McCrae

TK 608 is George McCrae lp titled George McCrae

1975 & 1978 respectfully.

2 differnt lps.

Why was TK so stupid? Cocaine?

Lots of other examples of artists with albums with the same title, but I think this is the only one that is also on the same label.

Dan

Peter Gabriel had Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel, and Peter Gabriel, right? Atco, Atlantic, Mercury, and Geffen (in the U.S. it was called Security).

• The Albert on Perception
    vs.
    The Albert on Perception

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I think Tim Maia is the worst case when it comes to naming records.
    All his records from 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1980, 1985 and 1986 have the same title (Tim Maia).
    Caetano Veloso is another example; not as bad as Tim: from 1968, 1969, 1971 (all by Polygram).

Peace

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Albert on Perception
    vs.
    The Albert on Perception

What's up with The Albert. I've been confused by this, thinking this is different than when I had it befor. Did they have 2 self titled records on Perception?

2 differnt lps.

Lots of other examples of artists with albums with the same title, but I think this is the only one that is also on the same label.

Dan

Peter Gabriel had Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel, and Peter Gabriel, right? Atco, Atlantic, Mercury, and Geffen (in the U.S. it was called Security).

4 self titled albums? What an egomanica!

All his records from 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1980, 1985 and 1986 have the same title (Tim Maia).
    Caetano Veloso is another example; not as bad as Tim: from 1968, 1969, 1971 (all by Polygram).

Peace

Maybe they couldn't afford an original title.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Maybe they couldn't afford an original title.

Or maybe they thought their names were the coolest thing in the whole world.

Peace

• The Albert on Perception
    vs.
    The Albert on Perception

What's up with The Albert. I've been confused by this, thinking this is different than when I had it befor. Did they have 2 self titled records on Perception?

Yup....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Peace

Co-sign on Maia. Ridiculous. And even worse, many of his covers look the same.

"yo, you need that Maia LP, son"
    "which one?"
    "the one called "Tim Maia" with him on the cover"
    "... ..."

That's like...all of them.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Peace

Co-sign on Maia. Ridiculous. And even worse, many of his covers look the same.

"yo, you need that Maia LP, son"
    "which one?"
    "the one called "Tim Maia" with him on the cover"
    "... ..."

That's like...all of them.

Or the two self-titled Gal Costa albums, both from 1969. I think everyone calls the second one 'Nao Identificado' just to keep it comprehensible.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

2 differnt lps.

Dan

hey, kinda like how george foreman named all his kids 'george'! it wasn't their first name at least (i think).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There are two Jr. Walker albums on the Soul label called LIVE. The difference is, the first one had an exclamation point (!) on the end.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    as far as the tropicalia records, that was done on purpose as a dada-esque art move. just being absurd on purpose...

what about same song titles but different songs?

Alvin Cash "Twine Time" on mar-v-lous andf his "Twine Time" on XL...different tunes altogether.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    as far as the tropicalia records, that was done on purpose as a dada-esque art move. just being absurd on purpose...

You think? Because there are a lot of non-Tropicalia Brazilian artists with the same thing going on... Ed Lincoln, Tamba Trio, Milton Banana Trio, Tim Maia all released a ton of self-titled records in different years. Not to mention all the dudes who just released numbered records, like Andre Penazzi or Ed Maciel.

Alvin Cash "Twine Time" on mar-v-lous andf his "Twine Time" on XL...different tunes altogether.

I think we would be hard pressed to find another same title, same artist, differnt song example.

There are lots of songs with the same title that are different songs. This one just came to mind:

Call Me Aretha Franklin
    Call Me Al Green (Willie Mithchell)
    Call Me Jazz Standard (Hatch?)
    Call Me Blondie (Harry)

Then there is the ever confusing same (or similar) name but different artist:

These are 2 different guys, right:

Doug Payne says they are the same.

Jimmy jimmie rodgers rogers:

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    What about Original Soul Senders' "Soul Brothers Testify"? Correct me if I'm wrong here- same title, different songs and a slight difference in group name (one is original, one is not)? I have both 45s, I'm just not sure I remember all the details... I got those joints over a decade ago.

And we discussed this on another thread not too long ago- same artist, same album title, same cover and label art, same song titles, same EVERYTHING except- a different recording of the music (on at least one of the songs, in some cses all of them)! Ripple Blast Singers "Funny Girl Ala Soul", Steve Halpern "Christening For Listening", one of the good Jamie Aebersol records (pink cover).

Then there are the albums with a track missing on certain pressings. There are a number of these, right now what comes to mind is that "Brand New Funk '78" album on one of Sylvia Robinson's labels. And Captain Sky... there's the version of his first album with "Super Sporm", another one that has "Dr. Rock" in it's place, and yet another pressing that has both songs!!! I don't know what they were thinking about with that one.

What about Original Soul Senders' "Soul Brothers Testify"? Correct me if I'm wrong here- same title, different songs and a slight difference in group name (one is original, one is not)? I have both 45s, I'm just not sure I remember all the details... I got those joints over a decade ago.

I am no help with this one.

And we discussed this on another thread not too long ago- same artist, same album title, same cover and label art, same song titles, same EVERYTHING except- a different recording of the music (on at least one of the songs, in some cses all of them)! Ripple Blast Singers "Funny Girl Ala Soul", Steve Halpern "Christening For Listening", one of the good Jamie Aebersol records (pink cover).

Then there are the albums with a track missing on certain pressings. There are a number of these, right now what comes to mind is that "Brand New Funk '78" album on one of Sylvia Robinson's labels. And Captain Sky... there's the version of his first album with "Super Sporm", another one that has "Dr. Rock" in it's place, and yet another pressing that has both songs!!! I don't know what they were thinking about with that one.

The big reason for swapping out tracks was once a song hit, it was stuck on the lp. So Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well replaced some other track, and Buffalo Springfield stuck For What It's Worth on and took something else off. In both cases these are the best songs on the record, but rock collectors want the raer version without.

The other reason was the perception of something being obscene. This is probably what was up with Super Sporm. Didn't some labels call it Super Sperm?

James Brown has multible examples of cuts being removed or added. There is a JBs with a DJ version with an extra cut. And Out Of Sight on Smash, and all the early King things being reissued with different covers and titles.

Years ago a Japanese collector was telling me that after the Moments Not On The Outside, was originally released the lead singer was sent to jail. They them stripped his vocals off and replaced them with the new lead vocalist. He said the only way to tell the 2 versions apart was to listen for the different voices. I've never heard this mentioned again.

Who Knows?

James Brown has multible examples of cuts being removed or added. There is a JBs with a DJ version with an extra cut. And Out Of Sight on Smash, and all the early King things being reissued with different covers and titles.

Well, straight-up reissues shouldn't count. You were apparently talking about cuts being removed or added. As far as those King albums, covers were updated and titles were changed, but the basic content remained the same.

These are 2 different guys, right:

Doug Payne says they are the same.

Doug Payne is wrong. Two different folks. Lonnie LISTON Smith wears shades all the time.

I think we would be hard pressed to find another same title, same artist, differnt song example.

Not really. Jerry Butler got "Lost" twice - once on Vee Jay, and another time on Mercury. Both songs are different.

The Staple Singers also had two different songs called "Are You Sure" (on Epic and Stax, respectively).

There are lots of songs with the same title that are different songs. This one just came to mind:

Call Me Aretha Franklin
    Call Me Al Green (Willie Mithchell)
    Call Me Jazz Standard (Hatch?)
    Call Me Blondie (Harry)

Oh yeah, "Call Me" is one of the most cliched titles ever, right up there with "Give It Up" and "Loving You." The "Call Me" written by Tony Hatch is probably best known through Chris Montez' version.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "I Need You" is the song title I always think of as having infinite versions...every big British Invasion band seems to have their own, Beatles, Who, Kinks...

There are probably more versions of "Save Me" then the Isley Brothers one and the Aretha and others version...

"I Need You" is the song title I always think of as having infinite versions...every big British Invasion band seems to have their own, Beatles, Who, Kinks...

The Rationals (from the US) liked that title so much, they recorded two different songs with the title...one was a remake of the Kinks cut, the other was a song previously recorded by Chuck Jackson.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The Rationals (from the US) liked that title so much, they recorded two different songs with the title...one was a remake of the Kinks cut, the other was a song previously recorded by Chuck Jackson.

tell me about it, I honestly heard the Kinks cover version by the Rationals and bought the A-Square 45 from eBay for cheap...only to get it and find the Goffin-King version, which is a ballad and not the punk beat record I thought I was buying!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

what about artists that have s/t albums which have s/t songs, like

black sabbath-black sabbath-black sabbath
    mandrill-mandrill-mandrill
    kool & the gang-kool & the gang-kool & the gang

don't forget about george foreman bitches.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

iron maiden-iron maiden-iron maiden

I saw one on VH-1 classics the other day that had s/t song on s/t LP on a s/t label...shit I cant for the life of me remember it, but it had to be the only example of that.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

iron maiden-iron maiden-iron maiden

I saw one on VH-1 classics the other day that had s/t song on s/t LP on a s/t label...shit I cant for the life of me remember it, but it had to be the only example of that.

hookup, ur avatar is trippy maaan

• Living In A Box - Living In A Box - Living In A Box

seal - seal (1991) (sire)

seal - seal (1994) (sire)