NY record shops

magicdogmagicdog 6 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Im from London and im visiting New york for a couple of days. Could anyone recommend some good record shops to visit and good places to hang out. Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• If you're in NYC this weekend, come to the REACTION record swap/flea market on Saturday from 2pm-6pm at NIAGARA on 112 Ave. A. I have 3 boxes of 45s to sell, and I know there'll be vinyl ballers from around the world in attendance.

Otherwise here's a list that someone here compiled last week....

The Sound Library
    214 Avenue A
    New York, NY 10009
    (212) 598-9302

A 1 Records
    439 E 6th St
    New York, NY 10009
    (212) 473-2870

Good Records
    179 E 3rd St
    New York, NY 10009
    (212) 529-2081

Footlight Records
    113 E 12th St
    New York, NY 10003
    (212) 533-1572

Academy Records & Cds
    12 W 18th St
    New York, NY 10011
    (212) 242-3000
    OR
    Academy Lps
    77 E 10th St
    New York, NY 10003
    (212) 780-9166

Colony Record & Radio Centr Incorporated
    1619 Broadway
    New York, NY 10019
    (212) 265-2050

Hells Kitchen Fle Market
    110 W 19th St
    New York, NY 10011
    (212) 242-1217

Infinity Records
    546 W 165th St Apt 5
    New York, NY 10032
    (212) 923-1494

• That's a pretty good list. Especially A-1 records. If you are at A-1 though you should go around the block to:

Turntable Lab East 7th st btw 1st and A

I think you should check out Turntable Lab regardless. The next 2 places are where most people shop for new records and reissues. If you are only looking for used/OG records you can disregard these:

Phat Beats 6th ave by 9th st in the west village --this is the place for backpacker shit

Rock and Soul 35th and 7th ave --Very cheap with a lot of records and great reissues.

Beatstreet in Brooklyn is a lot like Rock and Soul but even bigger with some used records.

• good places to hang out.

go celebrate 10 years of soul 45s on wednesday nights at botanica on february 11...

since february '96 Matt has watched the seasons pass while weekly reviewing the full soul spectrum..

botanica
    47 east houston street
    between mulberry and mott
    downstairs
    9 till late
    drink specials
    guest djs
    mr. fine wine presiding

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    If you're in NYC this weekend, come to the REACTION record swap/flea market on Saturday from 2pm-6pm at NIAGARA on 112 Ave. A. I have 3 boxes of 45s to sell, and I know there'll be vinyl ballers from around the world in attendance.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    There's a new record shop just opened round the corner from me here in the north BK area. I'll be sure to give you all a full report next week.

There are now at least 4 worthwhile record stores in Williamsburg. Never get mentioned on here. Step your games up. Academy N6th on a Sunday is a madhouse. almost.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

There are now at least 4 worthwhile record stores in Williamsburg.

Man, apparently I have been sleeping. If you don't mind, what ones other than Academy?

Man, apparently I have been sleeping. If you don't mind, what ones other than Academy?

Hmmm. Well, the dude at the flea on N6 has high turnover so if you're lucky you can catch raer for cheap. He really needs to clean the shit out of there though. Then the basement place under the gym is still good because they only care about rock and jazz. This new shop seems cool. Also, that big place in the next neighborhood up that everyone says is over. Well it never is really. People just give up.

Found these there last week.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    radikal, Arkade Funk!

radikal, Arkade Funk!

Speak on what you know my brother!

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Hmmm. Well, the dude at the flea on N6 has high turnover so if you're lucky you can catch raer for cheap. He really needs to clean the shit out of there though. Then the basement place under the gym is still good because they only care about rock and jazz. This new shop seems cool. Also, that big place in the next neighborhood up that everyone says is over. Well it never is really. People just give up.

When is the N6 flea? I kinda try to avoid Bedford, especially daytime on weekends so I guess I miss out. As far as the store to the north, I try to go every few weeks. Not the weekly trips of yore, but I turn up enough that I can never give up. Glad/sad to see others still turning up heat.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    There's a new record shop just opened round the corner from me here in the north BK area. I'll be sure to give you all a full report next week.

I actually just stumbled upon it. I'll let you be the one to blow it up on here, though.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    . Also, that big place in the next neighborhood up that everyone says is over. Well it never is really. People just give up.

HAHAHA...

funny, we were talking about this at the record fair... i think the key is getting there when they put shit out.... so, you gotta put that Pelon on ebay or what?

arcade funk is my fucking JAM!!!!!!!!!! fav go go trak, easy... nice disco break on that francie simon, too...

• if the N6th flea is thought of as "popping" then this city really IS over for records.

Everyone knows Spliffy gots special access to them spots! ordinary folk just walk out with a skated "Can You Party" 12" and go hit The Thing for two copies of Bungo Rock 12" stuck in the same sleeve with labels blacked out and marks that give the Rockefeller Rink a run for its money. If they have time they mosey up to that video store with the fat douche glaring at you for a $15 Black Sabbath VG- special.

Definitely come holler at me at Good Records, I've been buying lots of madness lately. And BigSpliff doesn't shop here so you're safe from his biting wit and tireless populism!

if the N6th flea is thought of as "popping" then this city really IS over for records.

Everyone knows Spliffy gots special access to them spots! ordinary folk just walk out with a skated "Can You Party" 12" and go hit The Thing for two copies of Bungo Rock 12" stuck in the same sleeve with labels blacked out and marks that give the Rockefeller Rink a run for its money. If they have time they mosey up to that video store with the fat douche glaring at you for a $15 Black Sabbath VG- special.

Definitely come holler at me at Good Records, I've been buying lots of madness lately. And BigSpliff doesn't shop here so you're safe from his biting wit and tireless populism!

Real Talk! The deal with N6th is that he just spunks all his stock in one go, so if a crate of soul or whatever gets put out you'll see a stream of jap dudes walking out with armfuls. When the dust settles you're left looking at 30 crates of spandex "funk". Dude needs to get acquainted with a dumpster pronto.

I am currently saving up to buy big dude records from Good. I'm just not really baller enough to buy/sell/trade.

For real, TSL and Good are the spots for the discerning collectro. TTLab is the best place to get your hardware - needles, 45 adapters and more.

A-1... I dunno why people bother. Their bread n butter stuff is basically classic NY shit you find everywhere for cheaper. Seems like they have a reputation, although the people that built it walked a while ago.

• On A-1: my customers tell me that they get good deals there. They have a great selection, and Toshi & crew really know their shit.

There seem to be folks that love that shop, and folks that never set foot in there. I think they're an institution and if you're in town you'd be foolish not to visit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I used to go check A1 a lot. I hardly check TSL. I check that "next hood over" spot every once in a while.
    I try to do Good at least once a month. "Social" diggin is where I'm heading.

I think they're an institution and if you're in town you'd be foolish not to visit.

Point taken. And given how close it is to the other 3 bespoke stores, it should be part of the tour.

Deadly Dragon for reggae anyone? I heard they have mad high prices for the condition but I guess there's not a whole lotta competition where they are.

And if the intrumentals to Blow Out Come ever drop, TTlab will be the first place to look.

• ahhh, you're talking about Junk (under the gym). It's pretty good, but I didn't feel the need to pay $11 for a promo of "Black Steel In the Hour of Chaos". And I agree with you on the basement spot in Greenpoint. The records are a bit beat, but for $2 a pop you can't really complain.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and the basement in Greenpoint)

Why do they have that silly sign in the window that say something on the order of - " this the place where all
    the diggers/dj come"?

I dont remember them broadcastin this shit 8 yrs ago.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    if the N6th flea is thought of as "popping" then this city really IS over for records.

so true.... I went through that shit last weekend.

• There's a new record shop just opened round the corner from me here in the north BK area. I'll be sure to give you all a full report next week.

There are now at least 4 worthwhile record stores in Williamsburg. Never get mentioned on here. Step your games up. Academy N6th on a Sunday is a madhouse. almost.

You're not talking about the spot on Bedford that has the coffee shop in the back are you?

ahhh, you're talking about Junk (under the gym). It's pretty good, but I didn't feel the need to pay $11 for a promo of "Black Steel In the Hour of Chaos". And I agree with you on the basement spot in Greenpoint. The records are a bit beat, but for $2 a pop you can't really complain.

Junk was great when it first opened. I still have the .50c sticker on one of my La Pregunta 12s, and they had a 10 for a dollar section that I think yielded some interesting shit plus an emptysleeveraer or two. It's still worth checking from time to time. Got an pretty good gospel boogie record there on Sunday for $4. When you see Stones LPs on the wall, get in those dollar bins!

Fuck it, I'm going diggin right now!

You're not talking about the spot on Bedford that has the coffee shop in the back are you?

shit no. Nor the spot across the street from there - Johnny's mate, wasssisname?

• if the N6th flea is thought of as "popping" then this city really IS over for records.

been to most these spots dudes are talking about. Who is this SPLIFFY you speak of? am I late?

been to most these spots dudes are talking about. Who is this SPLIFFY you speak of? am I late?

All the records worth collecting have been collected.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I used to like Gimmie Gimmie 5-6 years ago. Is it still in business?

• I used to like Gimmie Gimmie 5-6 years ago. Is it still in business?

Yes, and one of the better shops in the city IMO. Very interesting stock that doesn't turn up much elsewhere.