Maybe there is new music I might like.... but....

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
     Broken Social Scene has a great sound and David Newfield does some pretty heroic stuff with their insane recording process.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Wolfmother is
    that band is
    HORRIBLE decent stoner rock... a whitey froed fool singing like robert plant Billy Squier "WOOOOO MAAAAAANNNN"

BTW I've got a spare of their new 12" with the obligatory hipster "dancerock" remix on the other side. Holler!

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Wolfmother is
    that band is
    HORRIBLE decent stoner rock... a whitey froed fool singing like robert plant Billy Squier "WOOOOO MAAAAAANNNN"

BTW I've got a spare of their new 12" with the obligatory hipster "dancerock" remix on the other side. Holler!

Sure, but does the world need another Billy Squier???

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
     Broken Social Scene has a great sound and David Newfield does some pretty heroic stuff with their insane recording process.

Good time of year for this album, too...really dug it a couple summers back. Didn't so much love their last S/T effort, but I got pretty obsessed with this one.

"Stars & Sons," will melt a face or two.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Wolfmother is
    that band is

If you were at the wedding I DJ'd at last week, you might be surprised at the answer to that question.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Good time of year for this album, too...really dug it a couple summers back. Didn't so much love their last S/T effort, but I got pretty obsessed with this one.

"Stars & Sons," will melt a face or two.

I had my ups and downs with the S/T. I'd love to see them top this record. "Looks Just Like The Sun" is what this time of year is all about.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Wolfmother is
    that band is

If you were at the wedding I DJ'd at last week, you might be surprised at the answer to that question.

I said "need", not "want"....

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

I had my ups and downs with the S/T. I'd love to see them top this record. "Looks Just Like The Sun" is what this time of year is all about.

Yeah; on the strength of "You Forget..." I will always be checking for their new material. The last album wasn't an embarrassment, but the bar was set pretty high, and I just didn't get into it. Might have been where I was at, but I've heard the same sentiment from most folks.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    jep, the five corners quintet stuff is highly recommended.

the stuff on obliqsound - http://www.obliqsound.com/ - is worth a try, too. I just enjoyed a live gig from some of their acts

• Broadcast

You beat me to it.
    "Tender Buttons" was one of the best...
    make that, one of the Only good albums of 2005.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Om

cannot - WILL NOT - stop listening to this band. holy shit.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

Om

cannot - WILL NOT - stop listening to this band. holy shit.

I keep hearing about this band. Where can I sample their stuff? Google doesn't turn up much.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    PM'ed

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    Everyone should listen to LCD Soundsystem's album from last year.

agreed, but i don't think your going to find much DFA love on this board

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

I've checked out some new ninja tune stuff, and some of it is ok, but why is "downtempo" or "electronica" always so gloomy and stuff? nobody on ninja tune is making happy beats. People must live where it rains alot. well it never rains here, so gloomy music doesn't really fit my lifestyle.

I feel you on the gloomy downtempo shit. Check out Fila Brazillia on Pork Records, also UK downtempo stuff, not (well, most of it) as gloomy, very good.

DJ Surgeon from Detroit holds down the ghetto tech for me. Not the techno Surgeon from UK, this is a local guy.

There's tons and tons of reggae/dancehall/ragga stuff out there, too.

Intransitive Recordings in Cambridge, MA does a lot of noise/avant stuff; some of it is even listenable.

There's a lot of completely ridiculous music on 8bitpeoples.com, mostly chiptune stuff. I love all of it.

Finally, you hate on country in its entirety? You can't even get behind the Area Code 615 LPs?

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    Well what DO you like?

• I don't like much of the stuff that's on the radio either, but I do like Queens of the Stone Age.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

dissagree highly.. tuneless throwback indy rock with unlistenable overly compressed shite production.

one of the things i miss LEAST about toronto is having to read the local rags and having these dweebs get mentioned in every fucking article

horroscope:

"aquarious did you know that foxy producer of BSS dave newfeld is also a water carrier??"

Politics:

"sexy Emily haines of metric and BSS was seen at the latest NDP rally blah blah blah"

art openings:

"smokin hottie Brian Borchedt from BSS spotted chatting with Atom Egoyan's gardener at Andrew Scott from sloans latest exhibition"

and dont forget obligatory random Feist mention

"sultry leslie fiest now calls paris home ..isnt she SEXY!!"

all mentions must always include referances to how sexy, hot, sultry or foxy these people are

yeah REAL sexy

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

The Live CD is Dope as well but I need to peep that DVD

yam yam, I celebrate her entire catalogue. She is actually taking a year off and just had a baby. You can read aboot it on her blog if you can read Japanese.

track 6, 8 & 10 are really doing it on "vacation"

dubious - I knew I could count on you for that, hah. Hope you're enjoying the Maritimes.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    lovin the maritimes...

settup my drumset in the basement... dug in my garden, played tennis with the wife... life is SWEET

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

Bohren & Der Club of Gore

i cannot reccomend this band enough. start with sunset mission and black earth. if you like those two, get gore motel and their new one, geisterfaust (very abstract...not really a good one to start with). it's hard to describe...it's all the heavy, dark, and slow sound of a doom metal band done on a jazz setup (drums, double bass, rhodes/piano and sax). really fucking good, and surprisingly not kitschy. i celebrate their entire catalog.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

agreed, but i don't think your going to find much DFA love on this board

All I know is that every person who comes into the shop for that record is seriously challenged in the intellegence department...I think a short bus drives around town and drops folks off at the shop. Seriously, one of the special people that came in once asked to be sure the large 12"x12" record sleeve I was holding was a "record" and not a CD. I aint crappin you negative. They are usually dressed in those goddamn castro hats also.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Check out this rather glorious sounding thing, from Sub Division....a band out of Mexico City.....coming on like Jesus and Mary Chain meeting Joy Division in the middle of a sonic boom.

http://www.sub-d.com/

And as far as checking out new beats are concerned, Dizzy....are you familiar with the Beathut website?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Well what DO you like?

The Sons Of The Pioneers.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Bohren is great, a lot of their stuff reminds me of Francois Rabbath at his darkest.

i've been listening to a lot of Lamp of the Universe lately. I need to pick up the new Om LP too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I need to pick up the new Om LP too.
    yes. for fucks sake, yes.

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    Anything by these guys:
    -------

The best band out there right now. Its not even close. No way no how.

• djhatodjhato 9 Posts

why is "downtempo" or "electronica" always so gloomy and stuff? nobody on ninja tune is making happy beats.

nobody? i dont think so
    how do you feel this one. is it unhappy??
    http://download.yousendit.com/A5FC67021157F2B3

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

only two songs i liked...but thats about 2 more than any other album i heard from last year

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    awall said:
    here's a list i compiled for some other website. over 25 relatively accessible not-rap albums that came out in the past year alone

Dead Meadow - Feathers
    Just discovering this.... Holy shit.  Great album.  

I love combing over these old threads for music I missed.