Maybe there is new music I might like.... but....

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
I just don't know what it is yet? please please please. I dont want to listen to old stuff for the rest of my life.So far there is:Rap: I like some of the songs, but most of it sounds the same to me now.

Rock:

I've just never really been in to rock. After 5th grade all I listened to was rap, and never got into rock. ever. to much screaming and stuff. But I like coldplay, which is not cool to like, so I guess rock isn't for me. I've tried to tune into the rock stations but I never last more than 5 seconds before I have to change it.

Sucks to the point it actually angers me. I stay far far away from it.

Techno:

Outside of maybe a song or 2 I never really liked it, probably never will.

Dancey stuff:

some of it is ok I guess, but 4 on the floor bores me REAL quick, so I have a hard time sitting through a whole song.RnB: eh.

Alternative Rock:

same thing as rock I guess.

Punk Rock:

I like when those dudes do punk covers. me first and the gimme gimmes. beyond that, never really been into it.

Folk:

I'm not really a folky person. I don't like to have deep thoughts about frogs. pass.hmmm.Is that it? Am I missing something? I spend a lot of time looking for music that I can enjoy, but Yukari Fresh and Voodoo Trombone Quartet are the only acts I can think of in a long time where I was like "WOW! THIS IS AWESOME!" and then you only get a few albums and then thats it and then I'm like "now what?" and the reason I like it is because its so original, which means that there isn't other stuff like it for me to check out.

I keep trying and trying to find music I like but I'm failing miserably.Is there a genre out there that I'm just sleeping on completely??? something fun and original and creative????don't try to figure out if I'm joking or not. I'm not. And this probably isn't the best place to be asking about music, but still... if somebody could maybe try to put me up on ANYTHING.....

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like hearing new rock but i have a really hard time finding it. the last few "rock" groups i've enjoyed were phoenix, the notwist, and bloc party. recommendationz plz

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I also like that song "I got soul but I'm not a soldier". That probably makes me wack. I tried to listen to their album, and its not my thing.

• i like hearing new rock but i have a really hard time finding it. the last few "rock" groups i've enjoyed were phoenix, the notwist, and bloc party. recommendationz plz

Wolf Parade is pretty cool.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

you can try this album:

I dunno, I've been playing this quite a lot, i like it.

• Everyone should listen to LCD Soundsystem's album from last year.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i recommend phoenix too.
    if you kind of like rock, and you kind of like the white stripes, you could check for jack & brendan benson's new group http://www.theraconteurs.com - very cool throwback website at least

• Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat... Haven't heard much new music to impress me and always seem to fall back on the "old" stuff. A friend recently played me the Bloc Party album and those dudes are kinda cool. My roommate's been playing the new Queens of the Stoneage and if you tend to like some rock shit, you may want to peep that as well.

Otherwise, I'll be taking everyone's suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Dizzy!

Order slump & grind vol. 1 & 2.

The bay is the truth.

peace

h

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The new albums by JOMF and NNBB are great.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

que bueno. gets better as it goes on - 3rd? track is

• The new albums by JOMF and NNBB are great.

Little help (for real headz that don't know the deal).

• Jackie-O-Motherfucker
    No Neck Blues Band

>>>Is there a genre out there that I'm just sleeping on completely???

Gregorian Chant and Plainsong

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Dizzy!

Order slump & grind vol. 1 & 2.

The bay is the truth.

Yes.

thank you for the suggestions so far.

anybody else?

• new stuff i dig

The Budos Band
    Dungen
    The Joint Chiefs (Memphis rock...not the rap group)
    El Michaels Affair
    Sigur Ros
    Wolfmother
    HIgh on Fire
    The Big Business

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Rap: I like some of the songs, but most of it sounds the same to me now.
    I just want put you on to this dude - Brother Reade.

Check him out:
    http://www.brotherreade.com
    http://www.myspace.com/brotherreade

It's the most refreshing rap from a random cat I've never heard of prior in quite a while. You may hate it, oh well... I tried.

This will do until I finish my record. Still accepting experimental, sampled hip-hop beats for my debut, will pay for really good shit...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Black Mountain

• Black Mountain

Amen.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    i recommend phoenix too.
    if you kind of like rock, and you kind of like the white stripes, you could check for jack & brendan benson's new group http://www.theraconteurs.com - very cool throwback website at least
    Thanks for this!

This shit is solid.

• my homegirl sent me this k-pop shit. its kinda not very OISHIGUUU!!! CHOISIGUUUU!!!

but its still pretty decent inna korean fiona apple stylee.

some korean song by what my friend calls "plastic people" but it just shows up as 4 square boxes on my computer

there's a local band that my girlfriend's band has played shows with...

partman, parthorse (been really digging this, punkish old NY-style from seattle)
    the nevvers (friendz band pixies vs. elephant 6)
    jolie holland (super sweet vocal/songwriter)
    quixotic (sounds old, but is new)

• new stuff i dig

The Budos Band
    Dungen
    The Joint Chiefs (Memphis rock...not the rap group)
    El Michaels Affair
    Sigur Ros
    Wolfmother
    HIgh on Fire
    The Big Business

word...Wolfmother is they sound like black sabbath mixed with the who.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Folk: I'm not really a folky person. I don't like to have deep thoughts about frogs. pass.

• The distinction between new and old are strange - If you have never heard it isn't it always new in some sense?

Punk: The Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime
    As musically relevant and interesting today as it was when first released.

As for actually new: I really liked P-Love's new LP.
    Does this count?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    DIZZY - check your PM

• some newer shit that I dig/recommend (besides the obvious shit you hear on the radio). Mostly in the folk, drone, metal, or noise rock vein:

Boredoms
    Angels of Light
    Lightning Bolt
    Six Organs of Admittance
    Air Conditioning
    Comets on Fire
    Sword Heaven
    Hototogisu, Skullflower, Sunroof!, pretty much anything Matthew Bower does
    Ohkami No Jikan
    Ghost
    Bohren & Der Club of Gore
    Bunkur
    Deathspell Omega

• I'll still carry the torch for Modest Mouse...Isaac Brock writes some GREAT lyrics, and they write some catchy melodies. Even after their last album blew up, I still nod my head when I hear that single. Like Michael Bolton and Fela, I celebrate their entire catalog.

Also, try TV on the Radio. Some of it is pretty fuzzed out rock, but no shit, "Wear You Out," may be the hottest soul song of the last ten years. 8 minutes long, saxophones, thinly veiled raunchy lyrics...I mean, the hipsters love it, but they might be right on this one. "Desperate Youth/Bloodthirsty Babies," is their big album (with "Wear You Out," which you should all check out), and the "New Health Rock EP," is pretty hot as well.

• Punk: The Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime
    As musically relevant and interesting today as it was when first released.

oh, and while I'm at it, co-sign on this. Those dudes? Coolest Civil War heads ever.