Where Rappers and Hipsters Collide

2»

Comments

• Does anyone ever self-identify as a hipster? It seems to have inherently negative connotations.

once upon a time it was a badge of honor - like in the 50's - 60's it meant you were a white guy up on black culture, records and dance moves. It was better than beatnik or hippie.

Now it's if you look like a DO in Vice magazine and listen to trendy bands. I've seen "hipsters" of all colors and shapes, but it generally celebrates an educated/ middle class tastes or lampoons trends that of lower socia/economic ...etc.

• who's Aoki's dad again?

I am.

oh snap ... Paternity suit in the works

• I'd like to hear what the definition of a "hipster" is. My take is that it's an aspiring "cool guy" who has nothing to back up his own "cool guy" image besides his method of dress.

Please help me understand.

i think that sums it up perfectly.

that Aoki guy has such a fitting dj name as well...Kid Millionaire
    but i thought hipster was a synomnym for indie/emo kid, i.e. white belt, black jeans, tight striped shirt, old hc tats, hair dyed black... hipster has got to be the most loaded word out there, at this point it actually has no meaning, other than a negative connotation...

who's Aoki's dad again?
    Rocky Aoki purveyor of everything Benihana

I think the straight brim hat has definately become a mainstay in the hipster tsunami...

Not to be confused with the two - brimmed hat.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

LA most definitley. Most likely Cinespace.

That's my boy Craig from Frank 151. I was hanging with him in Vegas last week. He is a very legit dude and by no means a hipster. NYC dude. He's good shit.

Steve is also good shit. He may run with a "hipster" crowd but he's pretty legit as well. He's on our flow program as well.

you know pall wall?
    i seen that dude around town. looks like mr. jeigh.

• who's Aoki's Danno's[/b] dad again?

I am.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Wtf is that chick doing on the left?? Yikes.

And was Coolio ever cool? I remember MADD Circle and then he was singing to Michelle Pfifer (sp?) and eating bugs on TV.

• I'd like to hear what the definition of a "hipster" is. My take is that it's an aspiring "cool guy" who has nothing to back up his own "cool guy" image besides his method of dress.

Please help me understand.

i think that sums it up perfectly.

that Aoki guy has such a fitting dj name as well...Kid Millionaire

but i thought hipster was a synomnym for indie/emo kid, i.e. white belt, black jeans, tight striped shirt, old hc tats, hair dyed black... hipster has got to be the most loaded word out there, at this point it actually has no meaning, other than a negative connotation...

who's Aoki's dad again?
    Rocky Aoki purveyor of everything Benihana

I think the straight brim hat has definately become a mainstay in the hipster tsunami...

Not to be confused with the two - brimmed hat.

I'm feeling the pattern/material of that hatt.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What the fuck is a hipster?
    Someone enlighten me.

• I'd scrape.

• are those guys posing with Stretch midgets or does he just live up to his namesake

he's 6'7" and, yeah, those are his midgets. he got 'em 4 cheap.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

hilarious.

i love how that girl squeezes through...

I never knew shows at the good life got that hyped...

• Now it's if you look like a DO in Vice magazine and listen to trendy bands. I've seen "hipsters" of all colors and shapes, but it generally celebrates an educated/ middle class tastes or lampoons trends that of lower socia/economic ...etc.

Today's hipsters are educated? I always thought they just pretended to like Patti Smith's 'Horses', and to have read Kerouac.

Hipsters are the scourge of modern society. They can take their 'ironic moustaches' and myspace's and jam them.

• ITS THECOBRANAKE! [img]

I was at my friends gig in NYC where Stretch played w/ Steve Aoki. Stretch isn't really playing hip-hop anymore. He is w/ the electro booty, and techno electro hybrids. Mixing WAY better than he did on KCR + again better for him that he isn't playing the garbage hip hop that is spewing out of airwaves these days....

Wouldn't you?

if you were THE TASTEMAKER for thwe Primo 90's underground FIRE that was being made back then, you would be disgusted w/ the bile that is out now.

SORRY

if I get shit for that, too bad..