What do people think about John Cale solo stuff?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I'm listening to Vintage Violence right now. It's fine, but I want to like it more than I really do for some reason.I really like Paris 1919.What about the one's with Eno? Fear, Helen of Troy abd Slow Dazzle.

Comments

• paris 1919 is the only one worth having

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    slow dazzle is really bad. although not solo, the john cale/terry riley church of anthrax lp is great.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i disagree i think vintage violence is the best.. though that may have something to do with my copy of paris havign a weird surface noise all over it.. even though it looks clean as a whistle

slwo dazzle is meh.. got it never listen to it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    although not solo, the john cale/terry riley church of anthrax lp is great.

That is the only one I can really get into. I love the Velvets, and most of the stuff he produced, but I can't really dig his solo stuff.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    paris 1919 is the only one I would regret if I sold it [/b]

That being said, My Vintage Violence LP is nice to listen to as well.

I think I am the only guy here who liked the Cale and Reed 'Songs for Drella' LP

• Church of Anthrax
    Paris 1919

Slow Dazzle and Vintage Violence have their moments but the first two are

• Vintage Violence is the only solo I own, which I really like.

I passed on Paris 1919 quite recently but probably shouldn't have been so stupid.

• No church of anthrax?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The only one I've ever owned or heard is Paris 1919, but that was when I was collectring punk/hard core & I thought it was weak & sold it on ebay to buy more straight edge vinyl. Back in the good ole days when ebay was free & you could sell any thing that even looked like a record.

• I quite enjoy Vintage Violence. It's kinda poppy in places though, and that may not please everyone.

His best solo album IMO is 'Fragments Of A Rainy Season'. It's a solo piano gig from 1994 and available on Hannibal. I listen to it more than anything else of his.

I made the mistake of seeing him live a few months ago. $35 down the drain.

• Yeah! Church of Anthrax is great, let's count it as a solo album for both of them!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think I am the only guy here who liked the Cale and Reed 'Songs for Drella' LP

I enjoy some of every record Reed's put out... I think? (not sure if I've heard every single one, and the mid-80s are REAL patchy)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What about the one's with Eno? Fear, Helen of Troy abd Slow Dazzle.

I listened to these and Fear is pretty good. The other two suck. Never understood the hype about his cover of Heartbreak Hotel and the Modern Lovers cover is turrble.