Whatnauts - Help Is On The Way, original?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So, everyone knows this cut and it's great and fairly easy to come by.Turns out, it's been very heavily booted since the early 80s (when it was released) and most copies that you see online, in stores, etc. are boots. Early boots, but boots none the less. Does anyone here have a white label? I'm interested to know what the original etching is. This info came from a highly respected DJ who has been around since then.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    O' RLY?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    O' RLY?

SG

• I have one at home, can check tonight if no one else get to it by then.

• Turns out, it's been very heavily booted since the early 80s (when it was released) and most copies that you see online, in stores, etc. are boots. Early boots, but boots none the less.

Does anyone here have a white label? I'm interested to know what the original etching is.

Mine are stock copies, but they have very distinctive etchings in the run-out from Frankford Wayne and Herb Powers-- I doubt bootleggers would have gone to the trouble to do that.

BTW, did the Whatnauts ever get at Fat Larry's Band for jacking that bassline? I assume the Whatnauts was first, since the copyright notices say '81 and '82, respectively.

• Mine does too - yet was called out as a boot the other day...

• reskresk 391 Posts
    Mine does too - yet was called out as a boot the other day...

if dude is gonna call it out as a boot, he should at least tell you what the diffrence with the OG is. I have had a handful of sealed copies for trade/sale, but im down to one. this was dead stock from a store, but since the last copy is still sealed couldnt tell you the etching. of course i have no way of knowing if it was a early boot or whatever

my personal copy i used to dj with is the same as described by mongo, with the herb etching and smiley face

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    You can tell by looking at this: http://www.nickysiano.com/GalleryPhotosCont.htm

If it's the same one Nicky was playing, then it's real motherfucking thing.

• this all seems like a moot point to me...if they are all boots from the same era...are they really boots? does it matter?

• Mine says

HIR-110-A
    HIR-110-B

with a Mastering by Frankford/Wanye New York Stamp Herbie (smiley face) Tee

Hope that makes sense.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    this all seems like a moot point to me...if they are all boots from the same era...are they really boots? does it matter?

I guess you really aint hardcore when it comes to this boogie business.

BTW, I hope that's not your copy of Makin' Music on the wall at TSL. If so, I don't know what to think...

• i'm the hardest core in the boogie business...i have an OG copy of Whatnauts up on ebay right now...and i get rid of Leprechaun 12"s like they are Leo Saers.

but i'd never sell records to TSL! i've tried before...not a good look.

are you talking about Gary's Gang "Makin' Music"? that's on the wall at TSL?!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i'm the hardest core in the boogie business...i have an OG copy of Whatnauts up on ebay right now...and i get rid of Leprechaun 12"s like they are Leo Saers.

but i'd never sell records to TSL! i've tried before...not a good look.

are you talking about Gary's Gang "Makin' Music"? that's on the wall at TSL?!

Gary's Gang is Happy Music... I think he's talking about Peter Brown or Pat Adams raer

• oh yeah...right. no, my copy of "Making Music" is on ebay right now.

how much did TSL want on that Donger?

• Mine says

HIR-110-A
    HIR-110-B

Hope that makes sense.

And that's a promo? OK, so does mine. I think the DJ in question is probably wrong on this.

Thanks all,
    JS

• Herbie is the man! anytime that smiley face is on a record you know it's gonna be dope. or at least mastered well.

• Mine says

HIR-110-A
    HIR-110-B

Hope that makes sense.

And that's a promo? OK, so does mine. I think the DJ in question is probably wrong on this.

Thanks all,
    JS

Yes, it's a white label promo.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Anyone know anything about the Whatnauts record on Pic Hit????

Party On, This is It, and All I Need are the songs.

Same Whatnauts???