WEEKEND FINDS

124»

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    How is Rudolph diaper guy Johnson? I passed on it recently, wondering if it's "free jazz" or has some structure to it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    How is Rudolph diaper guy Johnson? I passed on it recently, wondering if it's "free jazz" or has some structure to it.
    It got 'The Highest Pleasure', which is one of my favorites.

• Hi Peter, nice to meet you. its the Transition one, which is why i had to poker face when i pulled it. that little b+w booklet goes with it. one of the labels on the record fell off, i guess the old glue died?? but the record is a solid vg.

It has the booklet?!

I've heard/read about the glue on those labels being notoriously sub-par. I'm never one for taping/gluing/removing stickers/general fuckery with records, but I think it would be O.K. to re-attach it in this case.

• How is Rudolph diaper guy Johnson? I passed on it recently, wondering if it's "free jazz" or has some structure to it.
    It got 'The Highest Pleasure', which is one of my favorites.

yeah its not free jazz, definitely structure for the most past. highest pleasure gets wiggly but its nice n solid. some tracks are almost trad others go a bit out, like the closer 'the second coming'.

What is the Bobby Jameson like?
    I recently picked up his LP under just the name "Jameson," produced by
    Curt Boettcher on Verve from '67, and was really feelin' it, posted the
    whole LP in the old Real Headz, etc. Curious if his other stuff is any
    good, because the Verve LP walked a weird fine line between being
    something I totally loved but easily could have absolutely hated.

this bobby jameson is sadly afflicted with turd-itis, despite the GRT label etc. he sounds genuinely drunk and has no voice to speak of. The songs are somewhere in the bluesy urban country folk early 70s thing (normally theres hope in that area). if he had passed out it would be a lot better, as arrangement/production wise its not bad at all. oh well.

Don't you hatt huge cut outs like that? Super weak. I tend to find 70s Prestige titles with like 1/4 of the cover lopped off

totally. and i think that used to be a big factor in prices, but no ones seems to call it out anymore.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Is that Donald Byrd the U.S. Transition press or the French re-issue?

P.S. My name is Peter. I sold Kevin (soufriere1) his 'sick collection' last week and he mentioned this site. Pleased to 'meet' everyone.

Hi Peter, nice to meet you. its the Transition one, which is why i had to poker face when i pulled it. that little b+w booklet goes with it. one of the labels on the record fell off, i guess the old glue died?? but the record is a solid vg.

I have 2 lp's on Transition (a cecil taylor and the "jazz in transition" comp found at the same salvation army within the same month) and on both of them, one label has come unglued, but luckily were still in the jacket when i got them. i haven't pasted them back on yet, but i probably should. it's not like i really wish to part with those anyhow, so resale value is not an issue.