WEEKEND FINDS

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I "found" an upgrade copy of:

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

- Yes batches, that's right, 3 Michael Franks. More raer than Boscoe here in Argentina.

- Don Randi & Quest "Bermuda triangle"

- Alma y Vida "Del gemido de un gorrion": argentinian psych

- Vox Dei "La Biblia": more argentinian psych. A musical interpretation of the bible. When it was being recorded, the church made a public announcement against it. After it was released, the church fully endorsed the product and adviced the youth to purchase it and carefully listen to it. Record is reviewed at Waxidermy.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

big ones:
    John Coltrane- Om LP
    Sunny Murray- An Even Break (Never Give a Sucker) LP
    Albert Ayler- NY Ear and Eye Control LP
    Peter King- A Soulfull LP
    Peter Metro & Dominick- Old Lady/Nah Touch the Rock 12" (Kemarley)
    Fred Van Hove- Church Organ LP
    Orchestra Harlow- Rumbambola LP
    Tito Puente- The Latin World Of LP
    Tito Puente- Exitante Ritmo LP

little ones:
    Joe Tex- Hold What You've Got/Fresh Out of Tears 45 (Dial)
    Black Magic- Hey Boy, Come and Get It 45 both sides (Avco promo)
    Gregg Diamond Bionic Boogie- Chains Long/Short 45 (Polydor promo)
    Bettye Swann- I'm Lonely For You/(My Heart is) Closed for the Season 45 (Capitol)
    Tony & Tyrone- Talking 'Bout the People/Turn It On Girl 45 (Columbia)
    Ralfi Pagan- Make It With You/Stray Woman 45 (Fania)

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Bettye Swann- I'm Lonely For You/(My Heart is) Closed for the Season 45 (Capitol)
    Ralfi Pagan- Make It With You/Stray Woman 45 (Fania)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Nice find
    My heart is closed for the season
    Love this song

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

OG of Curtis Live! for $5 - you would think that this record would show up alot, but this fairly beat (plays clean) but cheap copy was only the second OG I have seen in like 3 years...been playing a reissue forever...

Gene Clark LP is fantastic!! 1974 on Asylum - with every Gene Clark record I buy, my respect for him grows. He has become one of if not my absolute favorite singer-songwriters of the 60's-70's.

Richard Roundtree LP is...interesting...produced and arranged by Gene McDaniels, with an awesome studio band including Carol Kaye killin' it on the 4-string...just a little too pop-vocal for me, but there are a couple of slick
    tracks like "Street Brothers" and "The Man From Shaft" keepin' it real...

Rest is good psych shit...PB Conspiracy was better than expected, great guitar work and the "everyone sings at once" vocals don't get TOO annoying..."The Hook" is H E A V Y hard rock with psych touches, a power trio sound featuring a former member of The Leaves...tough as nails, copped on eBay for super cheap...and Autosalvage is an incredible psych record, I lucked into that one sitting in a local "rock" bin for cheap, and it kicks ass!

Anyone who wants to check out Autosalvage can

• lp's
    dorothy ashby - "afro-harping"
    the marvelettes - "in full bloom" (really enjoying this one right now, the production work is so...imaginitive)
    david ruffin - "gentleman ruffin"
    bobby womack - "i don't know what the world is coming to"
    isaac hayes - "chocolate chip"
    joni mitchell - "the hissing of summer lawns"
    (picked these last two up thanks to the "good records for cheap thread," and both were worth it, especially the joni m. - i've got a few of hers already, but wasn't sure where to go next.)

45's
    funkadelic - "i'll bet you"
    the jb's - "gimme some more"
    nite-liters - "i've got dreams to remember"
    william bell - "you're love keeps me going"

• Just some random shit I've picked out of antique stores and dollar bins recently. That La Fiesta album has a pretty sweet cover of K-Jee on it. The Ascent Into Now is analog synth ambient/new age. I have been switching between this and my two Jade Warrior albums during these rainy winter days.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ok---

for 25 cents to a dollar--thrifts/fleas --

4 sealed og Geto Boys 12s:

( those are OG and not reissues, also got 4 sealed copies of salt n pepa's "let's talk about sex" 12"s--same vendor lot i picked up tons of euro and asian pressings of classic rock records-like japanese dylan issues, etc.)

raer lamont dozier 12" and another disco/moder raer --

ex. rare early 45 from lee andrews on the main line label

still sealed 8 tracks of the jazz/funk/african variety.

• Hit up a few thrift stores and a store that specializes in oldies & country 45's but had a few rock records.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    After ages without finding any good record, this weekend I found these:

Michel Polnareff - Polnareff's: Voyages, Computer dream, and Hey woman deliver the heat
    Ike & Tina Turner - The hunter: finally I could find a clean OG cheap copy
    Clay Pitts Orchestra - Female animal ost: perfect soundtrack for a lazy afternoon; the bossa tracks are so cool
    Eduardo Araujo - same: a mix of psych, soul and brazilian traditional music
    Nancy Wilson - Gentle is my love: I really dig her voice, so sweet
    Michel Colombier - L'heritier / Angela ost: the title track is where the heat is
    Ella Jenkins' Nursery rhymes (Folkways): the kid records I have found always have some good tracks, but not this one
    Wilfred Solomon & The Magnetics - At the Fabulous Xanadu Beach Hotel: I had some expectations on this one. You know the deal: 5 black guys with afro hairdo and nice outfits (caftans). I thought the record could contain some funk in it, but no, it doesn't. The music is some discofied calypso and tepid reggae

Peace

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Wilfred Solomon & The Magnetics - At the Fabulous Xanadu Beach Hotel: I had some expectations on this one. You know the deal: 5 black guys with afro hairdo and nice outfits (caftans). I thought the record could contain some funk in it, but no, it doesn't. The music is some discofied calypso and tepid reggae

I think that record has fooled several Strutters, myself included.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    been a good weeks so far. A Majority of these are from Buena Park this morning.

and about 50 more that I'm too tired to post

Just type in the "img" tags yourself:

• Some nice reggae finds this weekend (all original pressings):

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Soul Rebels (Upsetter)
    Bob Marley and the Wailers - Catch a Fire (busted Zippo cover)
    The Upsetters - Many Moods of (Pama)
    John Holt - Still in Chains (Dynamic)
    U-Roy - Version Galore (Treasure Isle)
    V/A - Reggae to Reggae (Pama)
    V/A - Hot Numbers Volume 2 (Pama)
    Shorty the President - Fire Fire (Cindy)
    Tristan Palmer - Meets Early B the Doctor (Fantastique)
    Jimmy Cliff - S/T (Trojan although the label says Beverleys)
    Jackie Opel - The Best of (Studio One)

two nice non-reggae titles:

Mama Lion - Preserve Wildlife (Family)
    Mama Lion - Give it Everything I've Got (Family)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Softball practice started this weekend which seriously cut into my digging time.....only found this...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Rockadelic1234/DSC00069.jpg

BTW...is anyone else having trouble posting "Images" since the SS over haul???

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Erotic crime novels from Italy circa 1968 and accoustic guitar and flute led folk from Uruguay. I read some interesting artcles about them regarding political exile and whatnot.

• Softball practice started this weekend which seriously cut into my digging time.....only found this...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Rockadelic1234/DSC00069.jpg

BTW...is anyone else having trouble posting "Images" since the SS over haul???

You can generate an "img for message boards" or some such thing in photobucket and copy the code to your message and it should work.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Just for the record, Quilapayun are from Chile, but you got an uruguayan pressing.

Girls on the magazines look italian, so they must be OG.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Thanks...that did the trick

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

still sealed 8 tracks of the jazz/funk/african variety.

Hey dakar

As always, nice finds! ::killin' it::
    Os Carbonos were a brazilian band that played basically covers of pop songs from the late 60's and early 70's, hence the name. Os Carbonos = carbon papers.
    Sorry, no african heat for you from Os Carbonos.

Peace

• Options

I think that record has fooled several Strutters, myself included.

You guys are so easily fooled. P-O-R-T-A-B-L-E...knowing producers, arrangers and muscians helps too.

Si Boops Deh - Super Cat OG
    Under Pressure - SUper Cat
    Don Dadda - Super Cat
    YOu DOn't Love ME - Dawn Penn
    Amen Brother - The WInstons
    LEggo ME Raja b/w BEtta BEttie MArriage - The Taboo JEts (Pouri) killer Guyanese Indian 60's 45
    Get Down - The Exception (Vincent)
    BAby I Need Your Loving - LAurel Aitken sweet reggae soul blank from the God

K in Canada..

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

12" is home t4 - soul shake down party/stop children (watch this sound)

12" by 3rd bass is frankie zhivago - funkanoo, under that is ice cream tee - can't hold back

and about 70 more... got tired of takin pics

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    For san diego I did ok I guess. Nothing mind blowing (of course).

Country Preacher, Flash In The Can, North Texas State '70 (which compared to the others I've heard is suprisingly non-crap).

As a sucker for moog records i picked up a "plugged in" version of Joplin songs. No, not Janis... Scott! hahahaha. Its pretty funny, I guess. Ragtime moog. woo hoo. The cover has a pic of Scott's face with an outlet on his forehead and somebody trying to plug into him. Its kinda fucked up looking.

And I never expect Kai Winding records to be any good, but I picked up one on verve called "The In Instrumentals" with a song called "Mohair Sam" that was perfect for my taste. I'll give it one uber up with a shaky caffeine hand.

There was one junk dealer with crates and crates of shit i've never heard of. most of it was "prog" I guess. I listened to some of it. weird rock with synthesizers and tempos going all over the place and that kind of stuff. But none of it was really up my alley so I left it for somebody who might get some listening pleasure out of it.

I did better last weekend at the record show when I found some boxes of 45s under a table, all priced for a dollar.

I've never seen that Dynamics on Black Gold before

...but the sight of it made my mouth dry and my palms sweat...

Nice scores.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    whats Breath of Life quartet?

i also copped Eastern sounds this weekend. really the only good record i got

Nice scores.

It's mostly tepid terds but there are a few good tracks on there. Super smooth and mellow though.

Nice scores.

It's mostly tepid terds but there are a few good tracks on there. Super smooth and mellow though.

I want their LP on Cotillion something fierce.

I didn't even know there was one.