Tim or Jeff Buckley

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    jeff buckley .. ugh i have no comment.. i tried to mess with this cat back i nthe day and it never did ANYTHING for me.. the production on grace is horrid flacid lifeless bloat rock...

Have you heard the sessions recorded by Tom Verlaine before his death?

I don't think I'm familiar with either catalog enough to say I prefer one Buckley over another... I've never even heard LORCA or STARSAILOR, those may tip the scale (if they live up to the rep that is)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i understand, his voice is an aquired taste, but have you heard starsailor?

Yes...but that's the thing about aquired tastes. I don't tend to revisit things that don't move me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yes...but that's the thing about aquired tastes. I don't tend to revisit things that don't move me.

oh snap

• Ill take tim.

true story:

a friend of mine was drunk at this bar called barristers here in memphis and Jeff Buckley was in there having a drink. My friend thought Jeff took his backpack (he gets really argumentative and surly when he gets drunk). He finally cussed Jeff out and ended his tyrade with "just go jump in the fuckin' river!" The next day Jeff drowned in the Mississippi river. Crazy.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

yeah no doubt. it actually took me awhile to get into Tim's shit, and starsailor is what made me change my mind, and even that took me several listens to get into.

yeah no doubt. it actually took me awhile to get into Tim's shit, and starsailor is what made me change my mind, and even that took me several listens to get into.

My funny story with Starsailor is that when I lived in a small apartment in Minneapolis (in a house that was condemned shortly after I moved out), another tenant below me was Mark Olsen from the Jayhawks. He and I had been friends for awhile and he asked if I would record some CDs for him. So they were all Tim Buckley CDs. Starsailor and Blue Afternoon were his favorites and he really was anxious to hear if I liked them. I was trying to be nice, so I just said I preferred Tim's earlier stuff (as if I knew it at the time). He runs downstairs and grabs his first 2 Buckley LPs and tells me I need to tape those for myself!
    I really tried to dig Tim (for my friend's sake, if nothing else), it just never took. Sorry, y'all.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

My funny story with Starsailor is that when I lived in a small apartment in Minneapolis (in a house that was condemned shortly after I moved out), another tenant below me was Mark Olsen from the Jayhawks. He and I had been friends for awhile and he asked if I would record some CDs for him. So they were all Tim Buckley CDs. Starsailor and Blue Afternoon were his favorites and he really was anxious to hear if I liked them. I was trying to be nice, so I just said I preferred Tim's earlier stuff (as if I knew it at the time). He runs downstairs and grabs his first 2 Buckley LPs and tells me I need to tape those for myself!

I really tried to dig Tim (for my friend's sake, if nothing else), it just never took. Sorry, y'all.

fuck. I'ma go with you birdman. Walked out of a Jeff concert at 1st ave in '95. Not my shit (went there to see opener), Tim is marginally better IMO, interesting at least. Mark Olsen, on the other hand......., I'd rather listen to him than either Buckley.

between tapes for Mark Olsen and Scrabble(?) w/ Bob Mould, I'm beginning to think there are more tales from the MPLS scene that need to be told! A true rennisance man, Birdman. Kudos.

fuck. I'ma go with you birdman. Walked out of a Jeff concert at 1st ave in '95. Not my shit (went there to see opener), Tim is marginally better IMO, interesting at least. Mark Olsen, on the other hand......., I'd rather listen to him than either Buckley.

between tapes for Mark Olsen and Scrabble(?) w/ Bob Mould, I'm beginning to think there are more tales from the MPLS scene that need to be told! A true rennisance man, Birdman. Kudos.

I know (or more accurately knew Mark O., but I am trying to figure out who you have me confused with who might have played Scrabble with Bob Mould!! I vaguely knew Grant Hart through the general Mpls rock glitterati of the late 80s, but never met Bob. We have good friends in common, but that's it. I knew Dave King of the Bad Plus when he was just out of his high school bands! And at this point, Dave is one of the few Minneapolis cats that gets national press these days!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    jeff buckley .. ugh i have no comment.. i tried to mess with this cat back i nthe day and it never did ANYTHING for me.. the production on grace is horrid flacid lifeless bloat rock...

Have you heard the sessions recorded by Tom Verlaine before his death?

I don't think I'm familiar with either catalog enough to say I prefer one Buckley over another... I've never even heard LORCA or STARSAILOR, those may tip the scale (if they live up to the rep that is)

"Lorca" is a tough listen at times, but it's worth persevering with. I'm not a huge Tim Buckley fan, but I do like his stuff, as much for its range as anything else, which is impressive by any standards.

I think Jeff would probably have done some interesting shit if he'd lived a little longer. The range of what he did isn't as broad as his dad's was, but there's an obvious reason for that. I think he was a pretty good guitar player too. "Everybody Here Wants You" is a fucking dope song as well, but Lewis Taylor's version of that is

• I think Jeff would probably have done some interesting shit if he'd lived a little longer. The range of what he did isn't as broad as his dad's was, but there's an obvious reason for that. I think he was a pretty good guitar player too. "Everybody Here Wants You" is a fucking dope song as well, but Lewis Taylor's version of that is

"Everybody Here Wants You" is the reason I like Jeff Buckley. Back in the day I decided I didn't like Jeff Buckley for some reason; I didn't have any real reason to dislike him considering I'd never heard his music, but something got into my head and told me I didn't like him. Part of it might've been that I heard people hyping up _Grace_ and I'm generally wary of any artist where I've never heard of them yet people (read: the hipsters and indie press) are already hyping them up as something great.

Cue to a couple years ago. I'm scanning the newsgroups, downloading mp3's, and somebody had posted _Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk_. I was going to pass over it but I figured I'd download a track and listen to it just to confirm that I didn't like Jeff Buckley (maybe I was getting more reasonable in my older age?). I randomly picked "Everybody Here Wants You" and was blown away by the song since I hadn't expected Jeff Buckley to have anything soulful like that and I certainly didn't know his voice was that versatile. From there I went back and checked out _Grace_ and got into that and now I guess you'd say I'm a Jeff Buckley fan.

Lewis Taylor did a cover of the song, eh?? I wasn't aware of that. I just found out about Lewis Taylor a few months ago when they had the US version of _Stoned_ at a listening station at the campus indie record store. I bought the album solely on the strength of the title track. I'll have to track down his Buckley cover now.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    [

Lewis Taylor did a cover of the song, eh?? I'll have to track down his Buckley cover now.

The cover you speak of is on LT's II album:

SG

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

I know (or more accurately knew Mark O., but I am trying to figure out who you have me confused with who might have played Scrabble with Bob Mould!! I vaguely knew Grant Hart through the general Mpls rock glitterati of the late 80s, but never met Bob. We have good friends in common, but that's it. I knew Dave King of the Bad Plus when he was just out of his high school bands! And at this point, Dave is one of the few Minneapolis cats that gets national press these days!

Dude I swear it was you who was talking about acid induced scrabble w/ bob mould, hungh? I couldn't have dreamt it? I must be really confused, but you're the MPLS rock guy, worked at 1st ave, right. Wierd. Sorry. Jeff Buckley still sucks, and dude from Husker Du , something Norton, cooked me an elk steak last week.