Tim or Jeff Buckley

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I just don't get the fucking frenzy over Jeff Buckley's one mediocre record "Grace" and all those shitty lost live Jeff Buckley at the Turd Shop Vol. 25 things. Is this just some spill over from the cult of Tim Buckley? Well, at least dad made several good records before his tragic death. The son's best can't even touch crap like "Look at the Fool."

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I agree. Tim Buckley was amazing.

• Tim Buckley is ok, Jeff is crap! I hate his records.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I prefer Tim, no comparison. But Jeff is cool too.

• I doubt that many of Jeff Buckley's fans have ever heard any of Tim's work.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I doubt that many of Jeff Buckley's fans have ever heard any of Tim's work.

that's what i'm thinking. but ignorance is no excuse. i'd take Ravi Coltrane or even Julian "Donkey Boy" Lennon any 8th day of the week.

• none of the above, i have tried tim buckley but never like it, jeff reminds me of that claire danes show

• dayday 9,611 Posts

That's a good album.

Jeff Buckley got soul.

STOP THE HATT

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I could never understand all the fan boy dick riding about Jeff Buckley, sure he's got some OK songs (although I can't actually name any) but seriously, to my ears I think a lot of the love is just because the dude died. I hadn't listened to Jeff for years & actually threw on Live at the Olympia last night while I was cleaning 45s, I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I thought originally, but still nowhere near an amazing euphoric experience. As for Tim Buckley - never heard him.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Tim Buckley "Happy/Sad" "Lorca" "Starsailor" are psychadelic folksy and beautiful must haves

Jeff Buckley did a good rendition of that gospel standard but outside of that I'm bored by him

Jeff is defintly not local black experience

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i love Tim's work. never heard anything by Jeff

listening to starsailor right now

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    can't get with either. no hate, but no love. i a neutral on the buckleys.

• watching sailormoon right now

• I got Grace on vinyl a week ago so fuck all y'all, you can have Tim.

• Tim Buckley "Happy/Sad" "Lorca" "Starsailor" are psychadelic folksy and beautiful must haves

Jeff Buckley did a good rendition of that gospel standard but outside of that I'm bored by him

Jeff is defintly not local black experience

Blue Afternoon is also quite beautiful. Anybody got a vinyl copy of this they wanna slang my way for cheap?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    used to have a roommate who was the biggest Jeff Buckley fanboy (this was when he was still alive, can only imagine how pathetic dude is now) and he played that shit to death, i can appreciate that the guy has a talent, but as my grandma would say
    "its just not my cup of tea"
    or as my mom would say
    "i fucking hate that whineyass pansy crap"

Ive seen Tim in the bins, but i cant get past his offsprings nasal warbeling.

am i missing out?

• I have probably heard too much Jeff Buckley and am over him a bit but i saw him play live when he was alive he was pretty awesome at the time and has a pretty amazing voice.
    The only Tim Buckley album that has stayed in my collection is

"Greetings from LA"

"Get on top of me woman" is a great sexy funky party tune

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I have probably heard too much Jeff Buckley and am over him a bit but i saw him play live when he was alive he was pretty awesome at the time and has a pretty amazing voice.

"Greetings from LA"

This is just downright wrong.

..and I can't believe that Tim vs. Jeff is even a question on Soulstrut.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    am i missing out?

I have probably heard too much Jeff Buckley and am over him a bit but i saw him play live when he was alive he was pretty awesome at the time and has a pretty amazing voice.

"Greetings from LA"

ill take that as a yes then.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Tim, hands down.

• I just don't get the fucking frenzy over Jeff Buckley's one mediocre record "Grace" and all those shitty lost live Jeff Buckley at the Turd Shop Vol. 25 things. Is this just some spill over from the cult of Tim Buckley? Well, at least dad made several good records before his tragic death. The son's best can't even touch crap like "Look at the Fool."

Cosiggy...

"Greetings from LA"

That's the only one I kept too, and probably the only song I like on it.
    Why is Tim Buckley an essential 'Strut musician? I prefer Jeff's voice to Tim's any day of the week. I think his material is boring but I think his voice was nice. Like I said above, I really have nothing against these guys, but they are not anything I can get excited by. I must not like folk music. I would rather listen to Tim Hardin or Nick Drake over Tim or Jeff Buckley.

if someone asked me to define "over-singing" I'd play some Jeff Buckley.

if someone asked me to define "over-singing" I'd play some Jeff Buckley.

That may well be, but he's hardly the worst in that department. Tim's voice is just plain grating to my ears. He may be the most subtle singer ever born, I would still rather listen to his son's voice over his. At least Jeff's voice is pleasant.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Tim Buckley is the shit.. he's dope because he had viborphones, free jazz, loose bitches, got his freak more htan on... and each record he did is unique and at the same time related to his others...

jeff buckley .. ugh i have no comment.. i tried to mess with this cat back i nthe day and it never did ANYTHING for me.. the production on grace is horrid flacid lifeless bloat rock...

this on the other hand:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Tim Buckley is the shit.. he's dope because he had viborphones, free jazz, loose bitches, got his freak more htan on... and each record he did is unique and at the same time related to his others...

jeff buckley .. ugh i have no comment.. i tried to mess with this cat back i nthe day and it never did ANYTHING for me.. the production on grace is horrid flacid lifeless bloat rock...

this on the other hand:

I've been driiiftinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

"Greetings from LA"

Why is Tim Buckley an essential 'Strut musician? I prefer Jeff's voice to Tim's any day of the week. I think his material is boring but I think his voice was nice. Like I said above, I really have nothing against these guys, but they are not anything I can get excited by. I must not like folk music. I would rather listen to Tim Hardin or Nick Drake over Tim or Jeff Buckley.
    for real man?? Tim Buckley isnt about funk guys. Tim buckley was one of the most original artist's making music in the mid-late 60's. dude went from folk, to folk psych, to avant psychedelia, to free jazz. his material transcends funk.

"Greetings from LA"

for real man?? Tim Buckley isnt about funk guys. Tim buckley was one of the most original artist's making music in the mid-late 60's. dude went from folk, to folk psych, to avant psychedelia, to free jazz. his material transcends funk.

TheMack, you know I am not strictly (or even primarily) all about THE FUNK. I enjoy cross genre experimentation, I enjoy low key shit, I love rock, I love country,etc. I just can't take Tim's voice and most of his material is average to my ears. I DON'T HATE TIM BUCKLEY. And for the record, guys like Arthur Lee, Tim Hardin, Richard Thompson, Bob Dylan and many others were out there doing all the same boundary -crossing that Buckley may have been doing at the same time. I just don't find anything special about his catalog, although I admit I was briefly fascinated by the mess that is Lorca.

i understand, his voice is an aquired taste, but have you heard starsailor?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    jeff is cool with me.