The Sean Atkins Experience "Hookers Gin"

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Who has Portishead sampled from? Portishead has sampled from the following artists (Portishead song in parentheses): Lalo Schifrin from "More Mission Impossible" ('Sour Times') Smokey Brooks from "Spin It Jig" ('Sour Times') Weather Report from "Elegant People" ('Strangers') War from "Magic Mountain" ('Wandering Star') Johnnie Ray from "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" ('Biscuits') Isaac Hayes from 'Ike's Rap II' off his album "Black Moses" ('Glory Box') Ken Thorne from "Inspector Clouseau" ('Only You') The Pharcyde from "She Said" ('Only You') Black Sheep from "Butt in the Meantime" off their album "A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing" ('Lot More' on Sour Times single) *note: Sean Atkins is a friend of Portishead, however, 'Sean Atkins Experience' (as credited on Portishead) does not exist.)[/b]The bastards. This is some ol' TOMFOLLERY I tell ya!!!Herm

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like portishead

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    i HEART portishead

...and as much as I wish that there was an actual song by an actual group called The Sean Atkins Experience actually called "Hookers & Gin," I actually appreciate the fact that they actually made up a fictional band and song and actually listed in their sample credits. Actually.

Geoff Barrows did the same thing with that "Apache" 45 he did a couple years ago. They pretended like it was some long-lost group they rediscovered when the whole time it was just him and Adrian Utley. They had the internet going nuts before the internet was really nuts.

Herm

P.S. Shout out to my main man Gr*g Belson for taking me to that London record shop shoppe so that I could acquire said "Apache" 45.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    i HEART portishead

...and as much as I wish that there was an actual song by an actual group called The Sean Atkins Experience actually called "Hookers & Gin," I actually appreciate the fact that they actually made up a fictional band and song and actually listed in their sample credits. Actually.

Damn. No wonder I got dumb looks at the record stores when I asked for this record!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    what did they sample off of that smokey brooks? I don't remember hearing it.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Geoff Barrows did the same thing with that "Apache" 45 he did a couple years ago. They pretended like it was some long-lost group they rediscovered when the whole time it was just him and Adrian Utley. They had the internet going nuts before the internet was really nuts.

I disagree. I assume that you are referring to the 'Jimi Entley Sound'? I dont think that is Geoff Barrows at all. Take a listen to the soundtrack: 'Psychomania' (music by the 'frogs') It was an unreleased soundtrack originally recorded in the early 70s, and was finally issued about 4 years ago (suspiciously the same time when the Barrows 45 was released). Long story short, I think Barrows got a hold of the master tapes and did a re-edit of one of the groups songs from the soundtrack. You will have to hear it to believe it, trust me.