COMPUTER HELP PLEEEEASE

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
ok, heres the deal. i finally brought the rest of the records up to iowa city, which means i finally have all my music in the same room for the first time since september, and im itchin to get to work on some new tracks.HOWEVERjust recently, my computer has been running really slow. and i cant figure it out. i do everything in cooledit and instead of its usual taking a couple seconds to start recording the very first time i start it up, its now taking a good 15 seconds to even start recording, and even then it does a shitty job and skips around a bunch.ive done everything to try to get my computer running smooth, i cleared up about 30gb of space, deleted every program i never/rarely use, used a spyware program and got rid of my 537 infections...the CPU usage at any given time is 0-2%, and the internet runs great..but my computer is still running verrry slow.another thing i noticed is it takes almost twice as long for windows to start up lately. again this only just started happening about a week ago.anybody know what i can do? i cant work on music at all and its reeeeally bothering me...any help is much appreciated. i need to create and i just cant!

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    unfortunately, it is sounding like you got hit with some Malware. Malicious Adware.

Adware removal tools are not able to keep up with this stuff, and it can install so deep as to where it's running behind your whole windows file system. It was what I got hit with last month, and it took me a month to get back up and running without problems. Vicious

Save everything you have. Back it up and format your drive, and reinstall Windows.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Try clearing down your startup folder so less unnecessary programs are running, also its a good idea to defragment your hard disk on a regular basis to keep it running smooth - especially if you have moved around or deleted any large files recently.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    you most likely have a virus or trojan that your spyware program is not picking up on

Antivirus software - AVG Free (www.grisoft.com) awesome, FREE virus program. We run this at work. Highest recommendation. Screw McCafee or similar virus programs.

Edwido Security Suite - download a free version of this and run it
    Spyware Doctor - " "

The world of cable internet may be the cause of this issue as it's wide open for viruses/trojans at all times.

Look into getting a software firewall to resolve this from happening again

• Try clearing down your startup folder so less unnecessary programs are running,

How do you do this? I've been meaning to do this but haven't got around to find a way to do it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The world of cable internet may be the cause of this issue as it's wide open for viruses/trojans at all times.

Look into getting a software firewall to resolve this from happening again

SERIOUS

I've never had high-speed internet w/o a firewall and I wouldn't ever attempt it... there are dozens of attempts to infiltrate your system every HOUR (you can watch and track them, almost all are from China)

If you wanna hold out reformatting your drive as a last resort, download ALL the free spyware/malware/trojan/virus programs you can find and run ALL those bitches... doing this (along with reading a forum addressing the specific infection I had) I was eventually able to remove some wicked shit I inadvertently got my girl's PC infected with...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    In the run prompt type: msconfig.exe

Go to the startup tab.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

windows starts up faster now, but cooledits still fucked.

this program always gives me trouble...

im running the trial version of that AVG program right now. already found 5 infections.

the thing that bothers me is that this just started happening...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I did that and apparently it fixed just under 500 problems. Thanks.

• House Call

This place has always served me well.

Also, microsoft released their own anti-malware program and it's amazing. The only problem is that it will only work if you're running a real copy of windows:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Finally, try Hijack This which is another great program for cleaning up your computer:
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

After running all those and messing around with them a bit if you still dont see improvement then it's most likely a hardware issue, possibly RAM.

Hope this helps.

• Just a total wild stab in the dark, but, have you tried defragmenting your HD? I mean, it's entirely possible that the sluggishness is due to a virus of some sort or some malware, but check and see if your HD needs defragmenting too.