RENE RENE LO MUCHO QUESTION

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
so i just ran across this the other day on white whale. the one i have is on some texas label, cant remember right now, but its not on white whale. not to be all record boner dude, but whats the difference? anyone?

Comments

• no one? firme rola? juannie pachuco? hotsauce? tejas dudes? aye mijo.

• hey record boner dude, i don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to tell you the oh, what a night i picked up on cadet is a different recording than yours on vee-jay. and oh what a day doesn't compare.

• i'll keep my one-eye open for that OG then.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    hey record boner dude, i don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to tell you the oh, what a night i picked up on cadet is a different recording than yours on vee-jay.

if its the dells youre talking about, there's like a 10-11 year difference between the two. the VJ version was first, in the late 50s. the cadet is a remake from '69. both were hits. "o.w.a.n." is more or less the dells' signature song.

so i just ran across this the other day on white whale. the one i have is on some texas label, cant remember right now, but its not on white whale. not to be all record boner dude, but whats the difference? anyone?

i believe the texas label came first.

white whale was a successful "major indie" label in the 60's, based in L.A. (their most famous act was the turtles). when they re-pressed the rene & rene record, that's when it became a nationwide hit, in 1968. a lot of sixties hits started out on small regional labels before a larger company stepped in and re-released it. ("funky broadway" by dyke & the blazers comes to mind - it was originally on artco, i think, before being taken over by original sound.)

i think white whale briefly went through a phase where they were releasing a lot of tejano pop-rock artists. they also had little joe and la familia, who also had a record on a small label that was kicking in texas. but unlike rene & rene, the little joe record wasnt a huge nationwide success.

• thanks!

here's a treat. i think i posted this before but here it is again

little julian herrera - your careless love

thanks!

here's a treat. i think i posted this before but here it is again

little julian herrera - your careless love

Yo Gramps, much thanks for the East L.A. cruising classic! Listening to it on the office iTunes right now.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    no one? firme rola? juannie pachuco? hotsauce? tejas dudes? aye mijo.

I wish I could help, but I can't seem to find mine. I'm thinking the Texas label is Falcon, though.

Herm

• i'll check again but i think its something like TMI or NPR or some letter thing like that.

i got this awesome LP by los rondells or something like that cant remember but its on impacto and it has a real dope spanish version of "you dont know me" that ray charles made famous.

• I have Mucho Rene & Rene on Epic.