Edan/spontaneous travel appreciation

bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So im sitting at work about this time on tuesday (1pmish), thinking about how i was mostly disappointed by sundays Big Day Out, save for the last half i caught of Edans set- which blew my fucking mind. Instant fan - theres no way to translate the energy/art of it onto a recording.So i got to wondering what else i had missed in the set (and my girl didnt see it at all). Saw they were playing in sydney tuesday night (about 10 hours drive/1.5 flight away). So i call up my girl, jokingly saying we should go see him. Next thing i know shes dropped 300 bones for each of us and the car is idling outside my work. Didn't bother going home (no time) jumped on a plane with no accomodation planned, arrived at the show with 15 to spare before the opening act, who repped the sydney scene nicely (though their name escapes me) Got my drank on and waited for the "humble magnificent"Beat Juggling while rapping? checkPlaying guitar and verbed out Kazoo? checkSwapping with Dagha on decks while juggling seemlessly? checkMic in one hand, echo peddle in the other? checkNot only that, both were TOUGH on the mic. Totally Ended up crashing at a seedy backpackers while 2 germans humped like rabid animals in the room next to us, and flying to work 3 hours later, where i now sit, hungover as a biatch.

Comments

• I did the friggin' damn poster for the Sydney event, but last minute family situation prevented me from going. Everyone who went last night have been in my ear about how it was one of the best shows they've been to in years. yammer yammer. Great.

Thanks for taking my place last night.. Sheesh.

Theremin in effect?

Double whammy. I can't even go see Common tonight because I have to play before Scratch (ex-Roots) & Dj Fingaz at another gig. Me pissed at stupid conflicting shows.

Supports were 13TH SON & SLEEPING MONK.

• Yeah i caught common at BDO, his band was phenominal, but it all felt a little TOO tight... like it was almost a little over rehersed/contrived. But all in all pretty good. Sorry you didnt get a chance to get there last night- i feel kinda bad for talking it up now

Anytime you want to come up to bris gimme a shout.. im like a $10 cab from the city/valley

• Yeah. Apparently it was mental when he jumped into the crowd & continued.
    Talk it up... I'll suffer in silence... Ha!

His mum is his manager & she asked the promoter to note down the local hospitals. ????
    It's not that he's sick. I think she's just concerned. Cute.

I have $8.70 in shrapnel. Let me wash some windows at the traffic lights.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I caught both Common & Edan/Dagah here last Friday. Common I thought was awesome, I had been hanging out for the longest time to see him live & he didn't disappoint. Edan was apparently having major sound troubles on stage, but when he wasn't trying to fix the gear he was doing all that stuff mentioned above, juggling & rapping must be a cool party trick, he put on a good show considering the technical probs, I especially liked the bit where Dagah held up various record covers as Edan rapped about them, the Guitar/Kazoo thing was pretty ehhh, but I guess it may have been tricky with no monitors, but yeah, the MCing was pretty on point. Apparently Edan went to my local record store & bought some local 60s/70s psych LPs.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Man, I caught the Sydney gig last night.

It was off the fucking hook. My girl and I were right up the front (which is where we always like to be for gigs, and usuually where we are too) and it was just great fro start to finish. Him playing guitar and whistling was hillarious. The beat juggling while rhyming thing was so awesome to see - he did fuck up maybe once, but damn: he's rhyming AND cutting! The whole vibe was just laid back. And he opened the set by ust beat mixing a whole variety of weird-ass psych, a lot of it with female vocals, that i instantly decided I need! Lots of that stuff thriughout the night too. Definitely one of my favourite hip-hop gigs ever, and my girl agreed on that too.

Now, who knows titles of the shit he plays at his gigs?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    that show sounded fucking sick... anyone who hats on edan needs to stop making out with their mirror.

that show sounded fucking sick... anyone who hats on edan needs to stop making out with their mirror.

Indeed

• Man, I caught the Sydney gig last night.

It was off the fucking hook. My girl and I were right up the front (which is where we always like to be for gigs, and usuually where we are too) and it was just great fro start to finish. Him playing guitar and whistling was hillarious. The beat juggling while rhyming thing was so awesome to see - he did fuck up maybe once, but damn: he's rhyming AND cutting! The whole vibe was just laid back. And he opened the set by ust beat mixing a whole variety of weird-ass psych, a lot of it with female vocals, that i instantly decided I need! Lots of that stuff thriughout the night too. Definitely one of my favourite hip-hop gigs ever, and my girl agreed on that too.

Now, who knows titles of the shit he plays at his gigs?

I was up front to the left, Aryan looking mohawked dude wearing I HEART NY shirt and beads i swapped a buddist monk some spice for in cambodia.

I have quite a few tracks from the start set in my head too. My girl is a rock chick through and through, but she indulges my passions and she said she "understands what i see in hip hop now" which is pretty huge.

If you know anyone who took flicks, hit me up on the PM

Damn, we musta been virtually standing next to each other there man. My girl and I were standing just to the left of centre stage area for the whole gig!

Yeah damn, those psych things he was playing were dope. Gotta get me some of that! I took some weak photos on my mobile that have about as much detail as the proto-type edition of pong.

• ayejayayejay 24 Posts
    can you post yr poster? would love to check it.
    preaching to the choir here, but edan is indeed "the ish"

• Lazy buggers in Perth & Melbourne used my artwork as well. Ha.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

He really is getting into the psych thing.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    and a decent bio from his site:

EDAN LIKE MUSIC.

EDAN BORN IN LATE SEVENTIES.

EDAN HAVE LOVING PARENTS WHO SUPPORT HIM & RAISE HIM GOOD. NO SMOKING. NO FIGHTING. JUNK FOOD SOMETIMES.

EDAN HAVE NO BROTHERS AND NO SISTERS.

EDAN LOOK AT HIMSELF IN MIRROR & DO DANCE & MAKE FACE.

EDAN HEAR BEATLE MUSIC & DOO-WOP ROCKING ROBIN.

EDAN PLAY PIANO.

PIANO TEACHER SAYS EDAN NOT GOOD AT PIANO.

EDAN SAY FUCK YOU SHUTUP.

EDAN HEAR ROCK AND ROLL JIMI HENDRIX.

EDAN LIKE IN HENDRIX JIMMY PAGE JOHN BONHAM.

EDAN PLAY GUITAR AND LIKE IN N.W.A. BAD WORDS.

EDAN LIKE IN RAPP EMCEES RHYME-IT.

EDAN PLAY IN BASS JAZZ.

EDAN MAKING BEATS FOUR TRACK.

EDAN MAKING RHYME-IT.

EDAN PURCHASE HAUNTED TURNTABLES DEEJAY COMMIT SUICIDE LEAVE TURNTABLES TO EDAN. (true story)

EDAN NIKKE RAP N' SCRATCH.

EDAN DO IT HIMSELF.

EDAN HAPPY MAKE SONG SOUNDS LIKE ALI SHAHEED MU-PHIFEN.

EDAN A LOT IN RAP.

EDAN MAKE SONG ALOT.

EDAN GO TO COLLEGE TO MUSIC IT.

SCHOOL NOT SO GREAT LENNY KRAVITZ.

EDAN PUT OUT TWELVE INCH SINGLE.

EDAN RAP BATTLE AND DEEJAY COMPETE.

EDAN SELL MIX TAPE IN STREET TO EAT.

EDAN RAPP N' SCRATCH AND KEEP ZE BEAT.

EDAN LIVE! CONCERTING AND PEOPLE MEET.

EDAN SEND FOURTH ALBUM UNFINISH TO QUEEN OF ENGLAND.

QUEEN OF ENGLAND GIVING TAPE TO MIKE LEWIS IN HEAVY PRESSURE SECRET.

MIKE MAKE LABEL.

EDAN ALBUM PRIMITIVE PLUS IN STORE AROUND WORLD JAPAN IMPORT SECTION.

EDAN BADD HABIT BUYING FIVE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS.

EDAN CONCENTRATING ON PUT SYD BARRETT FACE ON BIZ MARKIE BODY AND KOOL G RAP BRAIN.

EDAN KEEP ZE BEAT FOR MR. LIFS SOULS OF MISCHIEFS AKROBATIKS DAVID HOLMES REMIX.CRITIC IN MAGAZINE SAY EDAN OLD SCHOOOL AND GLASSES.

EDAN IN CHILLING HARD IN NEW YORK TIMES & THE WIRE.

EDAN AND INSIGHT RHYME-IT BATTLE IN MAZE MADE FROM FIRE.

EDAN AND INSIGHT GIVE YOU LIVE! CONCERTING.

EDAN WORKING NEW ALBUM.

EDAN NEED BIO FOR PEOPLE READ.

EDAN DO IT HIMSELF.

a common problem: "EDAN BADD HABIT BUYING FIVE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS."

• and a decent bio from his site:

EDAN PURCHASE HAUNTED TURNTABLES DEEJAY COMMIT SUICIDE LEAVE TURNTABLES TO EDAN. (true

There, that explains it all then... Oooh!

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    and a decent bio from his site:

EDAN LIKE MUSIC.
    EDAN BORN IN LATE SEVENTIES.
    EDAN HAVE LOVING PARENTS WHO SUPPORT HIM & RAISE HIM GOOD. NO SMOKING. NO FIGHTING. JUNK FOOD SOMETIMES.
    EDAN HAVE NO BROTHERS AND NO SISTERS.
    EDAN LOOK AT HIMSELF IN MIRROR & DO DANCE & MAKE FACE.
    EDAN HEAR BEATLE MUSIC & DOO-WOP ROCKING ROBIN.
    EDAN PLAY PIANO.
    PIANO TEACHER SAYS EDAN NOT GOOD AT PIANO.
    EDAN SAY FUCK YOU SHUTUP.
    EDAN HEAR ROCK AND ROLL JIMI HENDRIX.
    EDAN LIKE IN HENDRIX JIMMY PAGE JOHN BONHAM.
    EDAN PLAY GUITAR AND LIKE IN N.W.A. BAD WORDS.
    EDAN LIKE IN RAPP EMCEES RHYME-IT.
    EDAN PLAY IN BASS JAZZ.
    EDAN MAKING BEATS FOUR TRACK.
    EDAN MAKING RHYME-IT.
    EDAN PURCHASE HAUNTED TURNTABLES DEEJAY COMMIT SUICIDE LEAVE TURNTABLES TO EDAN. (true story)
    EDAN NIKKE RAP N' SCRATCH.
    EDAN DO IT HIMSELF.
    EDAN HAPPY MAKE SONG SOUNDS LIKE ALI SHAHEED MU-PHIFEN.
    EDAN A LOT IN RAP.
    EDAN MAKE SONG ALOT.
    EDAN GO TO COLLEGE TO MUSIC IT.
    SCHOOL NOT SO GREAT LENNY KRAVITZ.
    EDAN PUT OUT TWELVE INCH SINGLE.
    EDAN RAP BATTLE AND DEEJAY COMPETE.
    EDAN SELL MIX TAPE IN STREET TO EAT.
    EDAN RAPP N' SCRATCH AND KEEP ZE BEAT.
    EDAN LIVE! CONCERTING AND PEOPLE MEET.
    EDAN SEND FOURTH ALBUM UNFINISH TO QUEEN OF ENGLAND.
    QUEEN OF ENGLAND GIVING TAPE TO MIKE LEWIS IN HEAVY PRESSURE SECRET.
    MIKE MAKE LABEL.
    EDAN ALBUM PRIMITIVE PLUS IN STORE AROUND WORLD JAPAN IMPORT SECTION.
    EDAN BADD HABIT BUYING FIVE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS.
    EDAN CONCENTRATING ON PUT SYD BARRETT FACE ON BIZ MARKIE BODY AND KOOL G RAP BRAIN.
    EDAN KEEP ZE BEAT FOR MR. LIFS SOULS OF MISCHIEFS AKROBATIKS DAVID HOLMES REMIX.CRITIC IN MAGAZINE SAY EDAN OLD SCHOOOL AND GLASSES.
    EDAN IN CHILLING HARD IN NEW YORK TIMES & THE WIRE.
    EDAN AND INSIGHT RHYME-IT BATTLE IN MAZE MADE FROM FIRE.
    EDAN AND INSIGHT GIVE YOU LIVE! CONCERTING.
    EDAN WORKING NEW ALBUM.
    EDAN NEED BIO FOR PEOPLE READ.
    EDAN DO IT HIMSELF.

a common problem: "EDAN BADD HABIT BUYING FIVE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS."

EDAN GET SWEATED BY AUSSIE CRUDFACES.

No but show funn when see him on decks funky drummer clean double.