J-Zone appreciation post

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I'm sitting here listening toand I gotta say that the zonemans beats are ill as fuck on that one. I know it's been out since febuary, but I didn't really give it a thorough listen until now. I especially like his remakes of "G??z Iz G??z" by Tash feat. Snoop, Kurupt and Xzibit + "The Saga Continues" by the funk doctor, Redman. The way he layers his beats with samples kinda reminds me of the way The Bomb Squad used to pack their sound with little details. Beatheads, show some love for Captain Back$lap and go cop this one. You won't be sorry.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    J-Zone is one of the most talented muhfuckas out here. On the beats, rhymes and concepts. Dudes were liking that li'l joke "edited" NWA album with nothing but the curse words that was posted here recently, but J-Zone already did that on his last album. That's my man and all, but regardless- son is all-around nice with this rap shit. Recognize, batches.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

and I gotta say that the zonemans beats are ill as fuck on that one. go cop this one. You won't be sorry.

co-sign.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Zone is one of the true original sounding dudes left in rap. He's also a cool dude and he really knows his west coast ish. First time I met him I grilled him about all that stuff and he suprisingly passed the test.

Zone is one of the true original sounding dudes left in rap. He's also a cool dude and he really knows his west coast ish. First time I met him I grilled him about all that stuff and he suprisingly passed the test.

Oh, that's the shit he listens to, for real. He might even be able to stump you on some of that wesside stuff, Wizzle! You wouldn't think it when you listen to his own music, but he's definitely a big fan of all that shit... Shortdog, Ant Banks, E-40, even most of the lesser known dudes.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Oh, that's the shit he listens to, for real. He might even be able to stump you on some of that wesside stuff, Wizzle!

Never that son! Lol. I actually gave him a copy of E-40 "Mr Flamboyant" ep, he hadn't heard it. It is crazy that he makes stuff that is completely different on the music end of what he listens to. I wouldn't even have thought a lot of the indie gangster tapes from the early to mid 90's would have even been available on the east coast back then. Some of those tapes were hard to get out here even.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    J-Zone- I LUH HIM!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Man, I've tried to get into dudes music but I just can't. Someone show me his "TROY" cut.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    J-Zone is ill. Been a fan since Music For Tu Madre... and he's still keeping it original. Thos kids over at the-breaks.com cream their pants when they spot a sample he uses... Zone digs way deeper than the average producer...
    peace.

Man, I've tried to get into dudes music but I just can't. Someone show me his "TROY" cut.

Hommie, if you are looking for a "TROY" from J-Zone then you are barking up an entirely wrong tree! J-Zone is all about that quality IGN'ANT hip hop, son! If that's not your cup of tea then I guess it just ain't, but recognize the talent: witty and entertaining lyricism + incredibly chopped and reconstructed sample based tracks = dope shit.

"Roll through the ghetto pumpin Ice Ice Baby / Think I give a fuck, it's better than the shit I heard lately"... NO DOUBT[/i]

• I'm into J-Zone (loved the first few records!) but he kinda lost me around "Slap Powder"...I'm hoping this new joint will bring me back around as I've heard nothing but good things.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Hommie, if you are looking for a "TROY" from J-Zone then you are barking up an entirely wrong tree! J-Zone is all about that quality IGN'ANT hip hop, son! If that's not your cup of tea then I guess it just ain't, but recognize the talent: witty and entertaining lyricism + incredibly chopped and reconstructed sample based tracks = dope shit.

"Roll through the ghetto pumpin Ice Ice Baby / Think I give a fuck, it's better than the shit I heard lately"... NO DOUBT[/i]

Naw naw don't get it twisted, I love it all. What I meant by "TROY type cut" is I want to hear J-Zone's "best track". I really want to see what the fuss is about. Actually the only track I really dug was this song called "The meaning" for some UK dudes called "The Runaways" real dope beat and good rhymes.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    One of my faves is "eatadicup". Also the entire "Bottle of Whup Ass" EP was what set it off for me.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    'Zone's a good dude. I had him rock my birthday party, complete with a rabbit fur coat in 80 degree weather. The OMB kids are all good dudes.

Gotta appreciate people that have the wherewithal to be balanced.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    J-Zone. That fool is off the hook. Crazy beats and his lyrics are COMEDY.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    The Al-shid beat he did was marvelous...Some Kovac shit. Him and Jake One are my favorite porducers. I said it.

J-Zone. That fool is off the hook. Crazy beats and his lyrics are COMEDY.

Word up... not to turn this into another one of those "what's wrong with hip hop today" threads (lord knows we've all seen enough of that- for the record, I still love rap), but for real, Zone has one of the elements that seems to be missing in a lot of the most popular rap of this era- COMEDY. Folls take themselves so seriously, and they end up being funny for all the wrong reasons. Ain't many people out today that are touchin' Big Zone's cleverness and wit. Plus he said my name on one of his records so you know the hommie knows what's really good!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I prefer his earlier stuff and felt that he dropped of around the time of ???$ick Of Being Rich???though I still think he???s mad talented and original but I???m just not felling the new direction.
    I guess I???m one of the guys he moans about on his new album.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Zone is one of the funniest cats on the mic...I completely agree with Phil on this one, not enough of that anymore. And he's a cool cool cool motherfucker to boot. I just hope that collabo he's been wishing for with Suga Free becomes a reality one day.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Zone is one of the funniest cats on the mic...I completely agree with Phil on this one, not enough of that anymore. And he's a cool cool cool motherfucker to boot. I just hope that collabo he's been wishing for with Suga Free becomes a reality one day.

Ooooh, I'll talk real bad about a bitch over this track!

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    yeah i like zone alot. I like his earlier stuff more, but his new shit still bumps. I like his attitude on the mic and the way he clowns on himself. His beats are real unique also.