Sideways: (movie/late-pass related)

124»

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Some people refuse to watch Titanic. I refuse to watch 8 Mile.

Some refuse to watch both...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Its not exclusively hardcore turntablism.They talk to Legends before that term
    was invented. Bam,Primo,and others. Music where records are focus.

Yes, but these are not the type of hip-hop films you'll find Faux_Rillz watching.

8 Mile, on the other hand....

Hey, 8 Mile is a great hip-hop film...

... for racists.

Not that I thought it was a great film, but what makes it racist? Because the protagonist is white? It is an Eminem vehicle after all...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yes, but these are not the type of hip-hop films you'll find Faux_Rillz watching.

... for racists.

Not that I thought it was a great film, but what makes it racist? Because the protagonist is white? It is an Eminem vehicle after all...

No, not because the protagonist is white, although it's hard for me to imagine a hip-hop film with a white protagonist that wouldn't come off somewhat racist--I think the assumption that the 'trials' of a white dude in rap are interesting enough to make a movie out of is inherently racist to some degree.

You didn't at least think the climactic scene where Eminem establishes himself as having a greater claim to black authenticity than the black dude by revealing that the black dude went to private school was at all distrurbing?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

... for racists.

No, not because the protagonist is white, although it's hard for me to imagine a hip-hop film with a white protagonist that wouldn't come off somewhat racist--I think the assumption that the 'trials' of a white dude in rap are interesting enough to make a movie out of is inherently racist to some degree.

You didn't at least think the climactic scene where Eminem establishes himself as having a greater claim to black authenticity than the black dude by revealing that the black dude went to private school was at all distrurbing?

Not really. It's an Eminem vehicle, not a random hip-hop film.

But I don't think a Black rapper has a defacto greater claim to "authenticity" as you term it. I've met plenty of Black rappers who claim street shit they've never seen, let alone done. People don't question it because the assumption is Black=street=hardcore=thug. I find that far more racist than the movie's climax.

As someone who's been in ciphers, battles, etc. I found it to be a good portrayal of that scene (race aside). I talked to a lot of people unfamiliar with hip-hop who were educated on that aspect of it and they seemed to grasp the right things about it. Can't be mad at that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

... for racists.

Not really. It's an Eminem vehicle, not a random hip-hop film.

But I don't think a Black rapper has a defacto greater claim to "authenticity" as you term it. I've met plenty of Black rappers who claim street shit they've never seen, let alone done. People don't question it because the assumption is Black=street=hardcore=thug. I find that far more racist than the movie's climax.

As someone who's been in ciphers, battles, etc. I found it to be a good portrayal of that scene (race aside). I talked to a lot of people unfamiliar with hip-hop who were educated on that aspect of it and they seemed to grasp the right things about it. Can't be mad at that.

But I'm not suggesting that black people have a monopoly on thuggishness/poverty--the filmmakers are the ones doing that. Within the arc of the film, Eminem's got to establish himself as credible within a black expressive form, so they give him a private schooled black dude as a foil, whom he is ultimately able to unmask as "inauthentic" and thereby confirm his own authenticity.

If you don't find that setup troubling then I don't know what else I can say.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You didn't get the memo? Class = the new race.

LATE PASS!!!

(j/k. Yeah, that message was rather fucked up and lost on most who saw it)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You didn't get the memo? Class = the new race.

LATE PASS!!!

(j/k. Yeah, that message was rather fucked up and lost on most who saw it)

I caught that move. But we all knew that Emimen would be victorious regardless
    of the opponents "Blackness".
    Is Rabitt bound by Ghetto rules or Black Ghetto rules?