Table Manners

tablemanners101tablemanners101 11 Posts
edited January 2006 in Announcements
Table Manners[/b]Date: Friday Feb. 24th, 20067-8:30pm Early Bird Diggin', $5Doors open at 8:30pm$3 all night, all ages@Hot Monkey Love CafeOpen Q&A Scratch Competition $100 + PrizesWith DJ's: kidragon (the Ummah) & raichous (the Ummah)Guest DJ's: Cros1 (FSS, OFF, Armory), Jo_ill (Homegrown Blends), L-Dula (Designated Hittaz), & Al Garth (SD Record Show)Sponsored by: Listen Clothing, LRG, AG, AMFM, San Diego Record Show, CSL, The Armory, Stacks Vinyl, & Earthbound RadioFor info contact us @ [email]tablemanners101@gmail.com[/email]"It's a different twist to a common world of Hip-Hop. Thought it was cool to show vendors what their records are being used for first hand"Cros1 (Freestyle Session, OFF, Armory) "It gives DJ's a chance to shine for the hard work they put into collecting records, creating sets, and it spotlights them as important as any other element in Hip-Hop" Mane One (The Get Down, Super B-Beat Show) "Events like Table Manners are rare but important for learning & gaining more appreciation for DJing/Music" Entec (Batte Star)

Comments

• Please show up at 7pm, entries will be taken from 7pm-8:30pm, cut-off is exactly at 8:30pm[/b]

Judges:[/b] kidragon, Entec, & Raichous

Criterion:[/b] Style, flow, technical ability, & crowd response (bring your peeps!)

Table Manners Q&A Scratch Battle Equipment:[/b]
    (2) Set-ups on stage: (1) set-up will be a pair of 1200's & an ISP Mixer & (1) set-up will be a pair of Vestax PDX 2000's with an ISP mixer. A 3rd set-up will be off stage for DJ's & guest DJ??????s (2) 1200's & an 05.

It's encouraged to bring your own scratch records, slipmats, beats (whether on vinyl, ipod, MP3 player, laptop, desktop, CD, etc., however your beats won't be used until Round 2 & Round 3), needles, headphones, mixers, although the mixers will be provided if you do make it to the final round you are permitted to use your own mixer.

Table Manners Q&A Scratch Battle Format is as follows:
    Round 1 Eliminations:[/b]
    Depending on the number of entries & time constraints, each individual will have an opportunity to bust on-stage at least 4-5 rounds of scratching. The length of each round is to the discretion of the person, you can cut anywhere from 8 to 64 bars, whatever it takes to get your point across, obviously don't go over board and cut for an hour straight (although I know there's probably some folks who can do this). You only have 4-5 opportunities to shine, so make sure what you do counts. From this open round we'll be narrowing the pack down to 6 folks.

An example of Round 1: say 10 + people enter. At first numbers will drawn, the number you draw is the order that you'll be featured, say we have the 1st & 2nd person on stage, person 1 will begin their 1st round, as soon as person 1 is done, person 2 begins their first round, then it's back to person 1, so on and so forth till both are finished going at least 4-5 rounds, while person 2 is engaged in their 4th or 5th round person 1 will swiftly get off stage allowing person 3 to get onstage, cue their record and begin cutting their first round, then person 4 will come and do the same. The process will repeat until all DJ's have had an opportunity to flex. This means all DJ's will be required to hang out on the side of the stage and have their scratch record ready and ready to cut shortly after they get situated on stage.

FYI:[/b] A third set-up will be off stage where another DJ will be providing 90-95 bpm mid-tempo beats for the opening round.

Note:[/b] If while cueing your records, you intentionally/un-intentionally cue over a person's round, you will lose a round, in other words, USE YOUR HEADPHONES TO CUE!!!

As of 2/23/06 I'm unaware of the total number of people who want to enter, I have heard some nice folks are enterin, we'll have to see who shows up.

Round 2 Semi's:[/b]
    From Round 1, (6) will be chosen to participate in the semi's. Folks will be paired off and required to flex head-to-head with another person. That means (3) one-on-one battles. A coin toss will occur at each battle, the winner of the battle chooses the beat (this is where your own personal beat preference gives you 'home court advantage'), then it's on for 8-10 minutes (if the beat you provide isn't this long, then we'll cut it at that, otherwise try to bring lengthy beats)

Again, each pair will have a set time to flex, obviously don't cut so long you eat up the whole battle, use your cutting to articulate your point and move on.

Judges will determine pairs.

From Round 2, (3) will be picked for the finals

Round 3 Final Round:[/b]
    Stage will be re-arranged to have three set-ups: (3) tables & (3) mixers. The last round will be a (3) way cut-off, a 10-15 minute round. The beat will be chosen by the winner of a coin toss (odd man out chooses beat).

Again, as in previous rounds, share the beat!

(1) person will be recognized as the winner, the rest will receive their acknowledgements.

The winner gets $100, prizes, & will also be featured on Discourse[/b], Sundays on Earthbound Radio[/b] 12-2pm, go to www.twelvez.com[/b] for show info.

This is just a brief layout of the battle; excuse the misunderstandings, confusions, etc. It's all a work in progress. This wouldn't be happening without guest DJ's, vendors, sponsors, the audience, the venue owner, the contestants, & anyone else I forgot, wa Alhamdolilahi Rabil Alamin...Lookin forward to seeing all of you, spread the word, peace!

Yours,
    kidragon

• Bismilah...I wanted to personally send my gratitude & thanks to the Hot Monkey Love Staff, the guest DJ's (Raichous, L-Dula, Al Garth, & Jo_ill), the competitors (Bowlz, Klev, Rayted-R, Anthony (the digger, lol), Fill, A.D.D., DJ Tanner, Jo ill, Rel, Rygar, Eysis, Stan, Jeremy, Rice, Dynamix, Predakon, Waystyles, Tofu, Jon Doe, & Image), our sponsors (The Armory, Stacks Vinyl, Access HipHop, AMFM, LRG, Listen Clothing, AG, CSL, & Earthbound Radio), our vendors (Mark Yen coming through with the nice price on vinyl, Andy with Stepback Shirts, the Homegrown Blendz Crew, & Steve Kader for comin through!), and all of our guests for supporting the event.

The event started out with music provided by yours truly. I called my set "I forgot to practice", because it was evident that I forgot to practice! However it was an opportunity for me to play digs & Hip-Hop, maybe next time I'll cut too. After my set, Raichous iA blessed us with some flavorful heat. Then L-Dula came through and dropped some nice tunes for the crowd. Before L-Dula got on, I asked the crowd if they have ever heard of him...not many raised their hands. I think after his set, they'll probably remember him! Big ups to the Designated Hittaz crew, definitely do not sleep on this team of deep crates. Following L-Dula was Al Garth with the San Diego Record Show. Al dropped some nasty nasty heat. This is one of the reasons why I decided to host the event. Al played stuff that I've heard on rare groove mixes but never had the opportunity to hear them played live, Mr. Garth also played some 45's that had myself and others buggin because of the obesity of his thick breaks!

Next was the Q&A battle which had 20 entries! Folks came from SD, LA, & Seattle!!! The elimination round, which lasted almost a year, gave each DJ four rounds to flex their skills. With Entec supplying the beats (Good lookin Entec, you set the standard for Q&A battle DJing!), folks one by one represented. Commentary on this may be lengthy so to sum it up in a couple words, the DJ's came through and represented on the cut!!! It was challenging to decide who was going to be selected to make it to the top 6. I had a top 12 on my judging sheet! That's how good folks were.

The top six chosen to compete head to head were:
    Rayted-R (San Diego) vs. Waystyles (Seattle)
    Dynamix (LA) vs. Stan (Earth)
    Jeremy (LA) vs. Predakon (SD & Sacramento)

The top three chosen to advance to the finals were:
    Rayted-R, Dynamix, & Jeremy. BTW, in the semi's the top 6 chose the beats they liked to cut to. A majority of the beats in this round were slow, ~70-75 BPM

The final round was an all out cut fest, getting down to some electro. Each DJ brought something unique to the tables. Jeremy came with style & funk, Rayted-R came aggressive, assertive, & precise. Dynamix came technical and fast. After the finals, the judges took some time to determine who the winner was. Some of the issues addressed were funk/style vs. power. The consensus amongst the judging panel was that Rayted-R slightly edged out Jeremy (it was really close), with Dynamix snatching 3rd place.

The First Annual Table Manners Q&A Top Three are as follows:
    1. Rayted-R
    2. Jeremy
    3. Dynamix

Rayted-R also walked away with $100 & mad prizes. He'll also be interviewed/showcasing on Discourse (Table Manners new Sunday mid day program on Earthbound Radio, peep the site for details.)

Again this is just a short summary of the event. The elimination round was quite lengthy, however I feel that most people enjoyed the vibe of the night. If anything, Table Manners is a means to preserve, revive, & progress the art of Hip-Hop DJing as well as educating ourselves & others. It's not about the prizes, titles, rank, fame, etc. to me this is a means to negotiate our understanding of reality, i.e. Hip-Hop/music, this being the essence of culture....

God willin, more of these will be held as I improve my skills as a host. I gladly receive your comments & constructive criticism. For now, keep it movin and see you at the next one! Thank you!!!

Yours,
    kidragon

(excuse the late commentary, right after the event we drove to the bay, I just got back & fell straight to sleep!!!)

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    oh shit...kid dragon.

i heard a set of yours way back on the wake-up show. i still got that tape somewhere around here. when's the next one going on? i moved down to sd about a year and a half ago...been on hermit status for a minute. maybe i'll come out of my spider hole.

• Word, sorry for the late reply bro. Yeah the next Table Manners is scheduled for May, God willin! Word, damn wake up show?!!! That was years ago! Cool, hit me up if you're ever down to link up. Peep our radio show:

Table Manners in conjunction with Earthbound Radio presents: DISCOURSE[/b]
    Airing Sundays 12pm-2pm
    Hosted by:[/b] The Ummah
    Feautring DJ's:[/b] kidragon, Entec, Still Life, L-Dula, & others...
    Special Guest:[/b] DJ Fuse-One
    Book review:[/b] Chris Hedges "War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning" by Professor Axiom
    Tune into:[/b] www.twelvez.com
    For info email:[/b] [email]discourse619@gmail.com[/email]

"Discourse is about raising the standard of intellectual discussion in all arenas of life amongst hip-hop aficionados and people who just want to think"[/b]

Cool, thanks for the hit bro, peace!

Ron aka kidragon aka Mohammed Zaki