Record storage space...

DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
When people talk about storage stpaces and the problems with them, everyone always worries about the heat, but I'm up in VT, and i was worried about the efffects of the cold. I was just in Plattsburg looking throuhg a collection of 15,000 or so lp's andthey all looked ok, but my own ish?It's mostly stuff for sale and some storage, and la casa is full. Wifey is OK forthe moment, so I'm tryin to be proactive, nah mean?so... is LP's left out in the cold (can get -30 F some nights) safe or Thanks

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just got back from the Swapmeet. A majority of the people who were selling records got them from storage auctions. Seems to me thats where alot of the good stuff was from. Just many reasons not to use one.

- spidey

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    cold causes condensation which can make covers get all ripply. going from warm-cold-warm-cold is the worst, and depending on the cardboard and how tightly they are packed together (go as tight as possible), you can end up with that pulpy ripply flaky cover problem. But if they are tightly packed and consistently cold for a long time i dont see a problem.

but the post above raises a good point, LPs kept stored away seem to me to end up forgotten about - big heaps of records that ultimately end up auctioned off for real cheap or sold at a too-cheap price per unit by someone whos trying to consolidate. (Not saying this is the fate of your stuff!!! just thinking out loud here) But just that records out of sight seem to go out of mind and turn into burdens down the line. Having gone through a few old timers spaces and garages these last few years, pulling heat and rare stuff (not to mention plenty of mistakes haha) for 1-2-3-5-7 bux a pop, it would seem better to stay on top of ones heap if possible and not let it spread out too far, lest one ends up with 12 packed storage units and no time to sort it all out... As someone with a roomful of LPs thats on the bursting point, i know ill keep buying LPs indefinitely, so its getting to the 'if one comes in, one must go' point. But since im 98% collector, 2% trader/seller, i dont also have the need to stock inventory, so im not really one to talk. so ill shut up!

• 'if one comes in, one must go'

That sounds like Darwin.

Still you have to fight back the addiction.

Greetings
    Seb

• I'm tryin to do more selling to justify my reckless buying, and having my sale
    stock not in the crib seems like the move when dealing w/ dudes that i don't
    know at all, cause even in VT, you never know about dudes...

I'm planning to use it like a little storefront, on some by-appointment-only type steez

I'm just worried about the cold...