Sideways: (movie/late-pass related)

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    D*****l, your reference to Paul Giamatti as the short weaselly bearded dude belies your supposed cultural sophistication.

Clearly, your expertise in things genius starts and ends with music and Black.

Is American Splendor what you're referring to as "genius"? I've seen that guy in a number of things, but never knew his name.

You're right, though, that film has never been a medium that's interested me much.

Yeah, I do think that's a brilliant movie. Moreover I think Giamatti's an incredible talent.

You're right, though, that he is not Black.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    D*****l, your reference to Paul Giamatti as the short weaselly bearded dude belies your supposed cultural sophistication.

Clearly, your expertise in things genius starts and ends with music and Black.

Is American Splendor what you're referring to as "genius"? I've seen that guy in a number of things, but never knew his name.

You're right, though, that film has never been a medium that's interested me much.

Yeah, I do think that's a brilliant movie. Moreover I think Giamatti's an incredible talent.

You're right, though, that he is not Black.

Well, the thing here is, if it came out in the last five years and didn't play at Magic Johnson's on 125th Street then I missed it... I like to watch an occasional movie, but not enough to go to the trouble of taking the train down to the Village or wherever.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Well, the thing here is, if it came out in the last five years and didn't play at Magic Johnson's on 125th Street then I missed it... I like to watch an occasional movie, but not enough to go to the trouble of taking the train down to the Village or wherever.

Quit lyin'...Aren't you the one who's trying to drag me to see that Sandra Bullock flick?

Quit lyin'...Aren't you the one who's trying to drag me to see that Sandra Bullock flick?

First of all, it's a "Don Cheadle flick," not a "Sandra Bullock flick"; she just happens to be in it.

Second of all, it opens today at Magic Johnson's.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'm in the 20 something cateogry, late 20's................I thought garden state was wack as hell. Especially glaring when compared to either Eternal or Sideways.

Maybe Garden State resonates well w/ the 20 something sect because of a lack of identity. A lot of scenes were too contrived and mtv emo-esque (ie. gas pump handle ripped off and stuck in nozzle). Personally, I felt the soundtrack sounded like a "blazing downtempo" car commercial. I do like some of the songs but collectively, it felt like an overdose.

I'm co-signing this.

I'm 24. I really like "Sideways" and I hard-as-fuck love Love LOVE "ESOTSM." "Garden State" was corn chips.

-e

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

You gotta venture out. NYC is crazy big.I peeped Sideways @ Lincoln Plaza cinamas on 66th st. Thats one express stop from 125. Theres a record library in Lincoln Center. I understand if you dont travel for movies that debut on dvd 1 month later but some flix debut here in nyc before the rest of the country even reads some critic's interpretation.Its like looking for wax.

You gotta venture out. NYC is crazy big.I peeped Sideways @ Lincoln Plaza cinamas on 66th st. Thats one express stop from 125. Theres a record library in Lincoln Center. I understand if you dont travel for movies that debut on dvd 1 month later but some flix debut here in nyc before the rest of the country even reads some critic's interpretation.Its like looking for wax.

He's exaggerating; we've seen plenty of movies downtown, including "Better Luck Tomorrow" at the E-Walk in Times Square!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    ...film has never been a medium that's interested me much.

Caux_sign.

So far, the scoreboard has both Faux and me as not being that into film or the Beach Boys, two things that get us both hated.

But our paths diverge when it comes to Hall & Oates. I can't front on the Genius Blue-Eyed Soul Music.

Personally, I felt the soundtrack sounded like a "blazing downtempo" car commercial. I do like some of the songs but collectively, it felt like an overdose.

I don't know how much Zac Braff had to do with the Garden State soundtrack, but I'm pretty sure whoever did it owned a copy of this (it came out in 2002):

I own it, and I thought three songs in common = too much coincidence. The rest of the songs sounded like stuff I would have heard on college radio four or five years ago. I felt like I was listening to someone's Ipod on shuffle mode during the movie.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You guys are going to see "Crash" ?

Let us know how it is. Heard it was a "race relations" version of Shortcuts/Magnolia.

thx!

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

I don't know how much Zac Braff had to do with the Garden State soundtrack, but I'm pretty sure whoever did it owned a copy of this (it came out in 2002):

i remember seeing him in an interview saying how he had made a mixed tape that ended up becoming the soundtrack for the movie before he wrote the movie, and actually he wrote the movie around the soundtrack or was inspired by the soundtrack to write the movie or some other artfag shit like that, either way the movie sucks and he has very little talent

...film has never been a medium that's interested me much.

Caux_sign.

So far, the scoreboard has both Faux and me as not being that into film or the Beach Boys, two things that get us both hated.

But our paths diverge when it comes to Hall & Oates. I can't front on the Genius Blue-Eyed Soul Music.

Yeah, here's the thing, cuz I think some people are misinterpreting me: I'm into seeing movies about subects that interest me, but I'm not into "film" in the abstract, such that I'm gonna go see a movie about something I have no interest in, merely because I've heard it's a well-made film.

Sideways appeared to be about two divorced middle-aged boy-men on a roadtrip, something I don't identify with and have no interest in learning about.

By contrast, Rockers--which I can recognize is actually not a very well made movie at all--is about something I'm intensely interested in, and I've therefore watched it at least half a dozen times.

Doggs, I'm all over the city; I'm just not into criss-crossing the sh!t in order to see a movie.

Doggs, I'm all over the city; I'm just not into criss-crossing the sh!t in order to see a movie.

Would you go see Scratch if it only played at BAM?

I wouldn't "go see" that sh!t if it was playing in my own living room. No offense.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Would you go see Scratch Soul Plane if it only played at BAM?

Would you go see Scratch Soul Plane if it only played at BAM?

You got me confused with my roommate...

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Just curious, what would be an example of a non-"wack as fuck" movie?

C.H.U.D.

Man, don't say such things: I've been forever trying to borrow that one from a coworker of mine.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Just curious, what would be an example of a non-"wack as fuck" movie?

C.H.U.D.

awsome, great movie

• tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
    I've seen that guy in a number of things, but never knew his name.

I still refer to him as Pig Vomit.

Sideways was pretty good. Not as great as the hype, but hype is overrated by design.

Garden State was pretty good. I think the naysayers were just expecting too much from it. Hype bug bites again. But yes, I'm biased, because I still wanna fuck Natalie Portman something silly.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was phenomenal.

Should Before Sunset get a mention in this group? Before Sunset was up there with ESOTSM for me, for entirely different reasons.

And I'm a little more than a month away from 30, for the record.

• Options
    But yes, I'm biased, because I still wanna fuck Natalie Portman something silly

LONG ISLAND STAND UP!!!!!!!!

Sideways was awesome, but people need to get off the Pinot tip and step up to some Barolo in the 10-15 year range if you really want to ball.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    But yes, I'm biased, because I still wanna fuck Natalie Portman something silly

LONG ISLAND STAND UP!!!!!!!!

Sideways was awesome, but people need to get off the Pinot tip and step up to some Barolo in the 10-15 year range if you really want to ball.

May I suggest a Carlo Rossi in the 10-15 month range?

I wouldn't "go see" that sh!t if it was playing in my own living room. No offense.

That's 'cause you're a one-turntable dude (no QFO).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Faux,

Not like you ever struck me as some turntablist closet junkie but why the hate on "Scratch"? All things considered, it's not a bad documentary.

Faux,

Not like you ever struck me as some turntablist closet junkie but why the hate on "Scratch"? All things considered, it's not a bad documentary.

A documentary about turntablism? That's like masturbation multiplied by itself. I can't imagine a less interesting way to spend ninety minutes.

Faux,

A documentary about turntablism? That's like masturbation multiplied by itself. I can't imagine a less interesting way to spend ninety minutes.

Its not exclusively hardcore turntablism.They talk to Legends before that term
    was invented. Bam,Primo,and others. Music where records are focus.

Yes, but these are not the type of hip-hop films you'll find Faux_Rillz watching.

8 Mile, on the other hand....

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Yes, but these are not the type of hip-hop films you'll find Faux_Rillz watching.

Deliver Us From Eva, on the other hand....

8 Mile, on the other hand....

Hey, 8 Mile is a great hip-hop film...

... for racists.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Some people refuse to watch Titanic. I refuse to watch 8 Mile.