What does AOR/MOR mean?

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    A lot of people don't realize how few hits some of the biggest artists of the 60s had. Jimi Hendrix did not have one top ten hit. Jimi only charted one top 40 hit. Pink Floyd did not have a top 10 hit until 1980. Money (73) was their only other top 40 hit. Greatful Dead nothing. Zappa, one hit #32 in '82.

Back in the day these groups only got play first on Underground Radio, then on Album Oriented Radio. Neither format was aimed at adults in the late 60s early 70s.

Dan

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Actually, "Touch of Grey" by The Dead was a Top Ten hit, although years past what many would consider their "prime."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Actually, "Touch of Grey" by The Dead was a Top Ten hit, although years past what many would consider their "prime."

Exactly....................80's mtv stuff.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A lot of people don't realize how few hits some of the biggest artists of the 60s had. Jimi Hendrix did not have one top ten hit. Jimi only charted one top 40 hit. Pink Floyd did not have a top 10 hit until 1980. Money (73) was their only other top 40 hit. Greatful Dead nothing. Zappa, one hit #32 in '82.

And then you had artists like Black Sabbath, Traffic, Humble Pie, Al Kooper, Spooky Tooth, the Electric Flag, Paul Butterfield, the James Gang, Cactus and others who sold albums like there was no tomorrow, but never had a hit SINGLE at all. Now, I didn't say a hit SONG, said a hit SINGLE.

At the risk of starting some shit (heh heh), I'm agreeing with Laser Wolf's definition of AOR, 'cause that's how I knew it coming up, and that's what the trades called it. "Adult-Oriented Rock?" Good Lord, can't y'all just say "easy listening" or "adult contemporary" and be done with it? No need to put a postmodern spin on it!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm 100% with AP on this one. AOR= Adult Oriented Rock.

What year was Touch Of Grey? My reference is only good till '86. Billboard charts.

All you all can define AOR however you want. Just like Guzzo can come up with his own definition of modern soul and the Brits can declare what is and what isn't Nothern soul.

I'm just trying to clue you into some radio formatting history. You can go down to the library and research back copies of Cash Box and Billboard if you want a more complete history. Or you can just call it what you want.

Dan

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What year was Touch Of Grey? My reference is only good till '86. Billboard charts.

'87. What's weird is that I saw a couple things saying it peaked at #9,
    but there is a CD called Billboard #1's: The 80's that is all
    #1 hits and it is included

And then you had artists like Black Sabbath, Traffic, Humble Pie, Al Kooper, Spooky Tooth, the Electric Flag, Paul Butterfield, the James Gang, Cactus and others who sold albums like there was no tomorrow, but never had a hit SINGLE at all. Now, I didn't say a hit SONG, said a hit SINGLE.

At the risk of starting some shit (heh heh), I'm agreeing with Laser Wolf's definition of AOR, 'cause that's how I knew it coming up, and that's what the trades called it. "Adult-Oriented Rock?" Good Lord, can't y'all just say "easy listening" or "adult contemporary" and be done with it? No need to put a postmodern spin on it!

That's what I'm talking about. Stairway To Heaven never charted! Never charted!! Stairway To Heaven!!! You fools can insist that STH is Adult Oriented Rock.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

That's what I'm talking about. Stairway To Heaven never charted! Never charted!! Stairway To Heaven!!! You fools can insist that STH is Adult Oriented Rock.

In my world AOR will ALWAYS be Adult Oriented Rock. I'm one kid away to become an AOR FM fan. When I get there, I will let my brain be washed away by Bryan Adams waves, and all my record collectro days will soon be over. I just don't have the time to buy, clean and listen to records anymore.

A lot of people don't realize how few hits some of the biggest artists of the 60s had. Jimi Hendrix did not have one top ten hit. Jimi only charted one top 40 hit. Pink Floyd did not have a top 10 hit until 1980. Money (73) was their only other top 40 hit. Zappa, one hit #32 in '82.

That's what I'm talking about. Stairway To Heaven never charted! Never charted!!

Hell, Jimmy Page wouldn't even let Atlantic release it as a single!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

It's Adult Oriented Rock. I have no idea who came up with the album oriented rock theory but as far as the music biz is concerned it is defintely adult. New Greenday or BRMC would be rock. New Bryan Adam, Zuchero, Chris Rea or Dire Straits albums would be AOR. Shit AOR, of course, but AOR all the same.

I gave a girl a ride in my wagon

Now she crawled in and took control

She was tired as her mind was draggin'

And I said get some sleep--we'll get on down the road

Goddamn, is this Soul Strut or Hit Parader? Shit, we'd better end this thread before AP starts printing the words to "Undercover Angel" verbatim!