What does AOR/MOR mean?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    She said, "I'm Carly Simon"

Well, she wasn't lying about that.

Anyway, I still want to tap her in the past

• sounds like she's so vain.

lol...I have another story about her. Larry David also spends summers on Martha's Vineyard and he wanted to get Carly on his show (a la Ted Danson). So he sends a small plane to pick her up to fly her to LA. She gets really offended and says she wont fly on a tiny little plane. So then he gives buys her two first class tickets. She flips out and says she wont do the show she was insulted that they would think she would fly commercial.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    sounds like she's so vain.

lol...I have another story about her. Larry David also spends summers on Martha's Vineyard and he wanted to get Carly on his show (a la Ted Danson). So he sends a small plane to pick her up to fly her to LA. She gets really offended and says she wont fly on a tiny little plane. So then he gives buys her two first class tickets. She flips out and says she wont do the show she was insulted that they would think she would fly commercial.

Please stop, you're hurting my feelings.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

leo the AOR years pulled straight from a japanese soft rock website.

Ok.....here's another question.

What's the Strut's fascination w/ Leo Sayer? WTF ?

Dont ban a cat. Just sayin'.

• i don't know AOR - but Middle Of the Road.

AOR stands for "Divorcee Makeout Music."

Not sure why they don't call it DMM, but hey, I'm an industry outsider.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Some nice MOR/Semi-Moder Blue-eyed Yacht Soul on this:

SG

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Some nice MOR/Semi-Moder Blue-eyed Yacht Soul on this:

SG

Miami Vice Look:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ALBUM ORIENTED ROCK

the format that kick-started FM radio back when AM dominated with the Top 40

In the mid 60s FM radio was a dead zone with a few classical music stations that nerds with expensive radios or kit radios could pick up. Most transisters and car radios had only AM.

Then hippies started "underground radio". They played groups like Hendrix and Dylan and Frank Zappa, groups who could not get top 40 play. They would also play Robert Johnson, Clifton Cheiner, Dan Hicks, Dave Von Ronk and Earl Scruggs. They played long cuts and didn't talk between songs in a set. FM band was cheap and commercials were few and far between.

By 1970 underground stations were dominating markets across the country. The corporate suits wanted a piece of the action and created AOR. DJs were allowed to play any cut off an album. Led Zepplin and Jethro Tull became sensations and the rest is in the dollar bins.

• Rent the following:

• Yeah, I've always known AOR as Adult Oriented Rock, and taken that to mean super mellow rock that Japanese collectors will pay big money for. That Googie Coppola album thats not AIR, Phase7, Asia, even some melodic metal whatever that means. Luckily (or unluckily) for me there were alot of groups like these in Hawaii mostly from the 70's-80's.

But really, I still don't know what AOR means. Everyones definition seems to be different.

• Yeah, I've always known AOR as Adult Oriented Rock, and taken that to mean super mellow rock that Japanese collectors will pay big money for. That Googie Coppola album thats not AIR, Phase7, Asia, even some melodic metal whatever that means. Luckily (or unluckily) for me there were alot of groups like these in Hawaii mostly from the 70's-80's.

But really, I still don't know what AOR means. Everyones definition seems to be different.

I associate AOR (in collector terms) to melodic rock with a slight hard edge. Re: Journey, Boston, Asia, Survivor, REO Speedwagon, 38 Special... Reference any rock music used in action movies of the 1980's.

MOR: Middle of the Road...easy listening pop...Carpenters, Osmonds, Tom Jones...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've never heard of it being Adult Oriented Rock -
    in the radio biz, where it comes from, it means (or meant)
    Album Oriented Radio, which, as has been pointed out,
    means FM stations that would play album cuts from Kansas
    & Led Zep records instead of just singles. This is why I knew
    every song on Who's Missing years before I ever owned the album,
    from listening to these stations in the mid-late 70's as a kid.
    Album Oriented Rock works ok, too, since it was a "rock"
    format for the most part.

"Adult Oriented Rock" is just something you guys made up.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    wow
    this is fascinating.

• dude i did not make up adult oriented rock. i dont know how old you are but i am 37 and remember this bullshit. i know all about player baby come back and shit like that. check my out on san vincenti jogging down to the park in my butt tight dolphins. we can meet at the regal begal afterwords.

dude. even the link to wikipedia that i provided promps the adult oriented rock phrase... " In some markets the term AOR was re-positioned as Adult-oriented rock, implying that 'adults' were more likely to buy albums rather than singles ".

im not making this shit up batches. moonlight feels right and shit. my first album was james taylor gorrila and thats saying a lot coming from someone with an inventory of 70,000 plus. and on top of it all i know that bizatch nicolette larson personally.

later,

ap

• Huge, huge record, sales wise.
    I believe she's deceased, AP.

dude. even the link to wikipedia that i provided promps the adult oriented rock phrase... " In some markets the term AOR was re-positioned as Adult-oriented rock, implying that 'adults' were more likely to buy albums rather than singles ".

Yeah, and pretty much ignores it after that, sticking with the original use of the term.
    Look, maybe it was bastardized in some areas into this Adult Oriented BS,
    but it seems pretty clear that the album cut format is the original
    and main definition of "AOR."

Where I'm from, that other stuff is called "Soft Rock" - and I'm no
    neophyte with that shit...I used to listen to Magic 106.7 and David Allan Boucher
    with "Bedtime Magic" to go to sleep - Bob Welch, America, Gerry Rafferty & Maria Muldar for days...

Yeah, and pretty much ignores it after that, sticking with the original use of the term.
    Look, maybe it was bastardized in some areas into this Adult Oriented BS,
    but it seems pretty clear that the album cut format is the original
    and main definition of "AOR."

Where I'm from, that other stuff is called "Soft Rock" - and I'm no
    neophyte with that shit...I used to listen to Magic 106.7 and David Allan Boucher
    with "Bedtime Magic" to go to sleep - Bob Welch, America, Gerry Rafferty & Maria Muldar for days...

In the early days of AOR it meant Album. It was not aimed at adults.

It is a radio term and certainly comes from Cash Box or Billboard.

Some time in the 90s it may have morphed to Adult.

• NO ONE ARGUES WITH ME ABOUT THE TERM A.O.R.

LOOK FOR ME ON SAN VINCENTI. I WILL BE THE ONE IN THE DOLPHIN SHORTS AND HEADBAND WITH THE OVERSIZED RADIO SHACK A.M. HEADPHONES. YOU QUESTION MY BOZ SCAGGS KNOWLEDGE YOU MIGHT GET SHOT. I GOT GERRY RAFFERTY FOR DAYZ BATCHES. DONT TEST MY BAKER STREET GANGSTA BATCH.

DONT TEST MY BAKER STREET GANGSTA BATCH.

[color:white]spacertext [/color] DEWD DON'T MAKE ME FLOSS MY RUPERT HOLMES JAPANESE RAER

[color:white]spacertext [/color]POST ALL YOUR DONALD FAGEN ACETATES OR YOU'RE SOFT (ROCK)

• kenny rankin batches.

i may have just been life flighted by the rofl copter.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Some time in the 90s it may have morphed to Adult.

Pretty sure that's the case. Adult Oriented Rock is definitely a widely used term and has been for a while now. Its roots in Album Oriented Rock/Radio makes sense though.

I was stuck in an Orange County hotel last weekend and watched several hours of Greg Brady pushing those TimeLife Sounds of the 70s CDs. I prefer to call that genre (70s/early 80s AOR) AM Gold. Year of the Cat, Reminiscing, Wildfire, etc.

If you're over 30 you can definitely get down with it. The closer you get to age 20 though, the more your mind has to be open to enjoy it. AM Gold goes with reefer.

Only cats in their 30s can remember tuning in to AM stations with any regularity to listen to Top 40. KFRC 610. If you've ever seen that on a bumper sticker, you're most likely over 30.

Year of the Cat, Reminiscing, Wildfire

It scares me that as I read that sentence, my brain shot out - "Al Stewart, Little River Band - MICHAEL...MARTIN...MURPHY!!"

Wildfire was my favorite/most hated of the mid-70's
    kitchen AM radio in the AM breakfast tunes, smell of my Mom making
    pillsbury cinnamon rolls getting me almost as high as any reefer
    today, that damned story about the girl going back for her
    horse coming through the single tinny speaker...it freaked me out -
    I recognized it's cheesiness, yet couldn't deny the grip it's drama
    held on me...holy shit those rolls were good fresh out of the oven,
    icing melting down the sides...

• She comes down from Yellow Mountain
    On a dark, flat land she rides
    On a pony she named Wildfire
    With a whirlwind by her side
    On a cold Nebraska night

Oh, they say she died one winter
    When there came a killing frost
    And the pony she named Wildfire
    Busted down its stall
    In a blizzard he was lost

She ran calling Wildfire [x3]
    By the dark of the moon I planted
    But there came an early snow
    There's been a hoot-owl howling by my window now
    For six nights in a row
    She's coming for me, I know
    And on Wildfire we're both gonna go

We'll be riding Wildfire [x3]

On Wildfire we're gonna ride
    Gonna leave sodbustin' behind
    Get these hard times right on out of our minds
    Riding Wildfire

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    dude i did not make up adult oriented rock. i dont know how old you are but i am 37 and remember this bullshit.

I'm around the same age as you, and I can tell you VERY FEW of the AOR (Album Oriented Rock) stations I grew up on played this easy listening stuff you keep tryin' to convince us is good.

And to the person who said that those of us over 30 might have a soft spot for this stuff - I'm over that hump myself, and I believe that Pablo Cruise/Fender Rhodes shit is Why Punk Had To Be Invented, because not all of us wanted to mellow out like that.

dude. even the link to wikipedia that i provided promps the adult oriented rock phrase... " im not making this shit up batches.

Hey, Wikipedia can fuck up too!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    When i was a kid, i worked at a shitty AOR radio station, and yeah i thought AOR = Adult Oriented Rock, Thats it ... i thought this was (unfortunatly) common knowledge.

now i aint expousing the virtues of AOR, no. the shit sucks, But yeah i thought AOR = Adult oriented Rock. It started as a radio format.

cool, im off to listen to anything but AOR or MOR

peace.

aLAN

and DJ Neville you are a god for posting the WKRP pics.

• HEY I WENT INTO THIS LAST NIGHT AND NOW I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN. YOU THINK I LIKE WAKING UP TO THIS SHIT?

WHEN I SAY AOR I MEAN ADULT ORIENTED ROCK DAMNIT!

I JUST TRADED MY FORIGNER 4 IN FOR A COPY OF CHEVY VAN.

FUCK THIS SHIT!

PUNK WAS INVENTED BECAUSE SHRED IS DEAD DUDE. NOT BECAUSE CHRISTOPER CROSS GOT CAUGHT BETWEEN THE MOON AND NEW YORK CITY.

NOW STOP FUCKING WITH ME YOU GUYS!

• I gave a girl a ride in my wagon
    Now she crawled in and took control
    She was tired as her mind was draggin'
    And I said get some sleep--we'll get on down the road

Like a picture she was laying there
    And moonlight dancing off her hair
    She woke up and took me by the hand
    She's gonna love me in my Chevy van
    And that's all right with me

Her young face was like that of an angel
    And her long legs were tanned and brown
    Better keep your eyes on the road son
    Better slow this vehicle down 'cause

'Cause like a picture she was laying there
    She's gonna love me in my Chevy van

I put her out in a town that was so small
    You could throw a rock from end to end
    A dirt road main street, she walked off in her barefeet
    And it's a shame I won't be passin' through again

Like a picture she was laying there
    We made love me in my Chevy van

Yeah like a picture she was laying there
    We made love me in my Chevy van

All right with me

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I'm 100% with AP on this one. AOR= Adult Oriented Rock. Music for people with 2 kids, a house and a car. REO Speedwagon makes them go wild. We have AOR FMs here in ARG. Got friends who listen to that shit, and they are still my friends.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

WABC was the AOR station in NYC in the 70's for me. WINGS like a mofo.

I'm 100% with AP on this one. AOR= Adult Oriented Rock. Music for people with 2 kids, a house and a car. REO Speedwagon makes them go wild. We have AOR FMs here in ARG. Got friends who listen to that shit, and they are still my friends.

My story is true. First FM was an empty waste land, then it was underground radio, which was a free form format that played non-commercial music. Then the suits came up with Album Oriented Radio. In the early days they played album cuts not singles.

Today Album Oriented Radio no longer exists. A quick check of Billboard magazine shows two formats; Adult Top 40 (Bob Thompson, U2, Dave Matthews) and Adult Contemporary (Maroons, Kelly Clarkson, Los Lonely Boys).

If you are talking about the early 70s AOR meant Album Oriented Radio. By the late 70s programmers had started to tie the hands of djs and the single came back. Yet the same people who listened to in the early 70s kept listening. By the 80s programmers started to realize that the market for new music by Yes, Who and Eric Clapton were no longer kids. Thus Album Oriented became Adult Oriented.

Wildfire is MOR. I never knew how horrible that song really is until I read the lyrics.

Dan