Bin Laden offers truce?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
(CNN) -- CIA officials believe an audiotaped message threatening the United States is from al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, who warns that plans for terror attacks are under way -- and also offers a "long-term truce."[/b]

" ... The war against America and its allies will not be confined to Iraq," the voice on the tape said, adding that "Iraq has become a magnet for attracting and training talented fighters."

"It's only a matter of time," the voice said, referring to attacks. "They are in the planning stages, and you will see them in the heart of your land as soon as the planning is complete."

Then in the same breath said

"In response to the substance of the polls in the U.S., which indicate that Americans do not want to fight Muslims on Muslim land, nor do they want Muslims to fight them on their land, we do not mind offering a long-term truce based on just conditions that we will stick to.

"We are a nation that God banned from lying and stabbing others in the back. Hence, both parties of the truce will enjoy stability and security to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan, which were destroyed by war.

"There is no problem in this solution, but it will prevent hundreds of billions from going to influential people and warlords in America -- those who supported Bush's electoral campaign. And from this, we can understand Bush and his gang's insistence on continuing the war," the voice said.

Thoughts?

Comments

• i really don't believe any of that shit.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

"In response to the substance of the polls in the U.S., which indicate that Americans do not want to fight Muslims on Muslim land, nor do they want Muslims to fight them on their land, we do not mind offering a long-term truce based on just conditions that we will stick to.

"We are a nation that God banned from lying and stabbing others in the back. Hence, both parties of the truce will enjoy stability and security to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan, which were destroyed by war.

"There is no problem in this solution, but it will prevent hundreds of billions from going to influential people and warlords in America -- those who supported Bush's electoral campaign. And from this, we can understand Bush and his gang's insistence on continuing the war," the voice said.

Thoughts?
    Lacks the required amount of rhetoric.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

These quotes are from a ten-minute speech which hasn't been released in full yet

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    More boogieman soap opera bullshit

• Don't you believe it.....

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

These quotes are from a ten-minute speech which hasn't been released in full yet
    I'm just questioning the authenticity.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    I want the photo-op. bin Laden and W. at Camp David flashing their pearly whites and shaking hands for the press.

"Just like old times, Mr. Bush"
    "Yes. Please say hello to your Aunt Mirabelle for me. Binny, you're doing a heck of a job."

May they both burn in Hell *

* FBI team: this is meant for entertainment purposes only. Please don't spy on me (too).

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    He says the same things as Howard Dean.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

here we go again.

Bring the Noise.

just sayin'

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

"WE'RE GOIN TO TAKE IRAQ, IRAN, AFGHANISTAN, SUDAN, EGYPT, SAUDI ARABIA, THEN WE'RE GOIN TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!! YOOOOOEEEEEEEE!!!!"

• He says the same things as Howard Dean.

"WE'RE GOIN TO TAKE IRAQ, IRAN, AFGHANISTAN, SUDAN, EGYPT, SAUDI ARABIA, THEN WE'RE GOIN TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!! YOOOOOEEEEEEEE!!!!"

AWESOME.

we should send John Kerry over to negotiate the terms, you know he's so nuanced and sophisticated.

• we should send John Kerry over to negotiate the terms, you know he's so nuanced and sophisticated.

Go start your own political blog, dude. Please.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

The (right-wing blogosphere part of the) internet is goin' (more) nuts (than usual)!

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    from the press here:

Expert says bin Laden could be dead[/b]

A terrorism expert says he has seen evidence showing al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is either seriously ill or dead.

Dr Clive Williams, director of terrorism studies at the Australian National University, says documents provided by an Indian colleague suggested bin Laden died of massive organ failure in April last year.

"It does seem reasonably convincing based on the evidence that I've been provided with that he's certainly either severely incapacitated or dead at this stage," Dr Williams told ABC radio.

Dr Williams said Ayman al-Zawahiri, bin Laden's deputy who was the target of a US air strike in Pakistan last week, has been making all statements on behalf of the terror network for the past year.

Dr Williams said proving whether the terrorist leader was still alive might be impossible.

"It's hard to prove or disprove these things because there hasn't really been anything that allows you to make a judgment one way or the other," Dr Williams said.

"But it does seem strange that Dr Zawahiri has been making all of the statements since then, and nothing's been heard from bin Laden since, I think, the December of the year before."

Dr Williams said even if bin Laden was dead, those who upheld the same philosophies would continue to fight for their cause.

• I AINT BEAT!!!

• "We are a nation that God banned from lying and stabbing others in the back. Hence, both parties of the truce will enjoy stability and security to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan, which were destroyed by war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Hudaybiyah

thoughts?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

You are so dumb. Howard Dean has never offered George Bush a truce. Go bribe a congressman and leave us alone.

Dan

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Didn't Bin Laden offer a truce to Europe about a year ago? His latest incarnation is that of a sympathetic populist. Wherein the average western civilian assume a more innocent role and it is the privileged elite class that is to be blamed for the worlds' problems.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The way bin Laden changed the Islamist movement was to change the focus of attacks from the Muslim governments that the Islamists considered as corrupt to attacking the U.S. which bin Laden argued was the main supporter of many of these governments.

I haven't heard this tape nor a complete transcript of it, but I would assume that if bin Laden was offering a truce to the U.S. he probably said that America would have to withdraw support from all or some of the Muslim governments in the Middle East and Asia. Not gonna happen.

When he offered a truce with Europe he was talking to the governments that had sent troops to Iraq (UK, Spain, Italy, Poland, etc.) and said they had to withdraw their forces.

What I have heard of this new tape is that he warned the U.S. that al Qaeda is still around and planning another big attack on the U.S. From what I've been reading however, I'm not sure they could pull it off. Al Qaeda has been completely changed after the war in Afghanistan and the arrest and killing of many of their top operatives. The bombings in Spain and England were blamed on Al Qaeda, but neither of those groups were actually members of the group. They were self-starter groups, meaning Muslims living in those countries who were inspired by bin Laden rather than being a terrorist cell sent there or a sleeper cell that had been hiding out in the country. That's the real new terrorist threat because you can't really stop them unless they do something stupid and get arrested.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

" ... The war against America and its allies will not be confined to Iraq," the voice on the tape said, adding that "Iraq has become a magnet for attracting and training talented fighters."

"It's only a matter of time," the voice said, referring to attacks. "They are in the planning stages, and you will see them in the heart of your land as soon as the planning is complete."

Then in the same breath said

I believe these statement could have been made by Osama.

I also believe that America does not want to give up its interests in iraq for selfish rather than altruistic reasons.

I do not think Bush will budge because of this statement.

I think many more people will unnecessarily lose their lives because of this, and I think hatred will continue to grow, uunabated, on both sides.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts