NYC APT Nightowl Record Fair - Who Went??

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So, I wasn't able to come down for this, but I did have a bunch of records there, being sold by one o' my crew.Who went? How'd it go? Any scores too floss??GIVE ME SOME CLOWN, BATCHES!!!

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DOH!!! i forgot.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I did have a bunch of records there,
    being sold by one o' my crew.

werd! me too...

my whole game now is shipping records to dudes in other states to sell at their local record shows. got boxes travelling the country.

• Anyone who missed it gets the L for Loser award... definitely the coolest "swap" I've been to, great space, bar was a little pricey but thankfully there was good amount of light, nice variety of records, from items to cheapies, packed room, cute girls, good music (except for that one really long set of blip noise shit... that was REALLY irritating), I sold a lot of shit and made some good money and also was able to score some nice joints at very reasonable prices.

HUGE thanks to Shakey, Jared, and crew for putting it all together.

• Anyone who missed it gets the L for Loser award... definitely the coolest "swap" I've been to, great space, bar was a little pricey but thankfully there was good amount of light, nice variety of records, from items to cheapies, packed room, cute girls, good music (except for that one really long set of blip noise shit... that was REALLY irritating), I sold a lot of shit and made some good money and also was able to score some nice joints at very reasonable prices.

HUGE thanks to Shakey, Jared, and crew for putting it all together.

Damn, I forgot all about it... maybe next time !

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Ah, what a world, what a world!!!

I need NoDoz cuz I slept.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Seemed like quite a lot of different stuff, starting very cheap... people walking round with armfuls of 45s. I guess none of the vendors had bags.
    My photography style is erm, gonzo... the flash is known to disturb these raer beasts in their nighttime foraging.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Is that D*v* *o*pk*n*' profile?

If so he's scruffier than I've ever seen him...

Yup, it was a regular Che-fest.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i can't believe i forgot about this...and i didn't do shit last night either.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    oh and i wanted to say thanks to fauxrillz for grabbing my records at tsl and bringin them to good. i appreciated that when jon told me you did that. very nice of you...

• damn Spliff, you were there? Wouldn't mind actually meeting some soulstrut muthas in person. Glad you had a good time Mr. Paycheck, and thanks for that Nino Ferrer. I steered my crazy friend L Ron aka Mr. Vacation to get 'From the Love Side' from yas.

Anyways, I'm super biased cos Shakey is my girl, and I worked at APT for years, but I had an excellent time and scored some nice schitt. What a concept...you don't have to get up shit early to score, the muzak is happening, you can be diggin' with a nice single malt in your hand, and there is a party going on downstairs if you get bored. Anyways more swaps to come. Here's some digs...finally able to cross off some southern classics like 'Pass the Hatchet' (thanks Mao for letting me get this), 'Cramp Your Style' and the James K Nine (Eddie Bo) on Federal. Got a stack more than this but I won't bore ya. Also that Cargo 45 was a pleasent surprise, '83 modern soul thing thats got a nice sweet groove. Shoutout to the Truth and Soul Peeps, Finewine, Peter Gunn, Jordan, Chairman Mao, Dave Griffiths, Ray Miller, Big Tim, Jared, the Hyped2Death guy, Deadly Dragon, and anybody else I got rekkids from.

$??

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Seemed like quite a lot of different stuff, starting very cheap... people walking round with armfuls of 45s. I guess none of the vendors had bags.
    My photography style is erm, gonzo... the flash is known to disturb these raer beasts in their nighttime foraging.

WIDE LOAD

• wow. paycheck, smallchange, jared, soulstrut, and the rest of the universe

yall get one big gas face and a for the non heads up

didnt even know about it

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    wow. paycheck, smallchange, jared, soulstrut, and the rest of the universe

didnt even know about it

I agree

THIS WAS POORLY PUBLICIZED!/FONT>

didnt even know about it

Uh, dude, it was in the announcements section for like fittyleven days and shit

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Announcements page sucks. Perhaps split into "My DJ gig/ Partay/ Checkoutmybeatz.com/ Checkoutmyblog.com/ She does greek real nice like" and a separate spot for Records related events page.
    2c
    Peace
    T.N.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    wow. paycheck, smallchange, jared, soulstrut, and the rest of the universe

didnt even know about it

Uh, dude, it was in the announcements section for like fittyleven days and shit

with, like, a bump a day.... and pretty good press coverage in NYC...

despite being sequestered in the back tiny lil' room with finewine, robbie mcboing boing, and nydia from daptone, i still sold some records and more importantly, ran into some cats i hadn't seen for a minute (hey Spliff, crazypoprock!) and a good time was had by all... funnest part of the night for me was selling a bunch of 60's stax and atlantic and 70's lou rawls records to Jah Wise from Tippertone (big youth's selector...)... dude was psyched to buy some Mad Lads...

• Uh, dude, it was in the announcements section for like fittyleven days and shit

, y'all were schlafen

Relatively new here but thought putting such things in 'crate digging revealed' was

anyways anyone who wants to be on the e-mailing list PM me your email. I'll forward to the missus and make sure ya know. She's hoping to do bigger things in the future. The next one will probably be at Botanica Bar in the late spring/early summer.

$??

• Options
    I knew about it...and I'm 10 hours away. Nice link on the Dawn Penn, Smallchange. Is it mashed? DeadlyDragon/JEremy?

That Jackie Mitto/Summer All stars is kinda hokey, but I kept one for completitions sake. French guys like it.

K in Canada.

• Options

Patrick/Crazypop (no Phife)???

K.

• I knew about it...and I'm 10 hours away. Nice link on the Dawn Penn, Smallchange. Is it mashed? DeadlyDragon/JEremy?

That Jackie Mitto/Summer All stars is kinda hokey, but I kept one for completitions sake. French guys like it.

K in Canada.

yeah, agreed on the jackie mittoo, it ain't some heavy JA disco shit, but its got a groove. I'll drop it at some point.

Dawn Penn's got a hairline crack but plays fine, you can't even hear it. Fine for DJin'. Cheep. Got if from the the Truth n' Soul folks.

$??

• Options
    When my records have a hairline starting from the out diameter in, I always (make sure its' lined up and) seal it with a cigarette burn/melting. You might have cut a couple slices off the melt-belt to allow the needle to pass over it during the intro, but it's worth it to stop further seperation (and adds some rigidity should you drop it).

Easy, K.

• When my records have a hairline starting from the out diameter in, I always (make sure its' lined up) and seal it with a cigarette burn/melting. You might have cut a couple slices off the melt-belt to allow the needle to pass over it during the intro, but it's worth it to stop further seperation (and adds some rigidity should you drop it).

Easy, K.

but is there a chance you'll warp the record with the heat?

$??

• Options
    Haven't warped yet (working on my 10-11th now). Only hold the cigarette there long enough to seal - no longer. A minor warp is much better record in half.

K.

• Haven't warped yet (working on my 10-11th now). Only hold the cigarette there long enough to seal - no longer. A minor warp is much better record in half.

K.

cool, thanks...for me, it'll have to be a joint tho.

$??

• Options
    Haven't warped yet (working on my 10-11th now). Only hold the cigarette there long enough to seal - no longer. A minor warp is much better record in half.

K.

cool, thanks...for me, it'll have to be a joint tho.

$??

The heater is too loose.

Done that, K.

• When my records have a hairline starting from the out diameter in, I always (make sure its' lined up and) seal it with a cigarette burn/melting. You might have cut a couple slices off the melt-belt to allow the needle to pass over it during the intro, but it's worth it to stop further seperation (and adds some rigidity should you drop it).

Easy, K.

im really not understanding this , k

you run the cig up and down the crack? where do you make it melt? id think that if youd have a big pop on every rotation if you melted it donw the middle.

and have you seen rockers yet????

When my records have a hairline starting from the out diameter in, I always (make sure its' lined up and) seal it with a cigarette burn/melting. You might have cut a couple slices off the melt-belt to allow the needle to pass over it during the intro, but it's worth it to stop further seperation (and adds some rigidity should you drop it).

Easy, K.

im really not understanding this , k

you run the cig up and down the crack? where do you make it melt? id think that if youd have a big pop on every rotation if you melted it donw the middle.

This is why you weren't allowed in.

• Options

Come ca. MElted with a cigarette and then shved with an exacto. Kinda dangerous, but it's been effective for me.

K.

didnt even know about it

oh sh*t!!! This reminds me, I'm throwing a party this saturday, and a couple of the soulstrut guys are gonna be there. It's called BREAKFACE!

Thanks!