The same 20 records that everyone is after...

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I left one of these at a Montevideo, Uruguay record store. It was VG >> VG+. Dude wanted $50. I didn't like the condition, so I left it there. Should I be feelin like this?:

Not if it was some weird Uruguayan press in f**ked up condition.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Not really--it's a hot one musically but not really a $$$+ piece (not that I'm not throwing a lot at that copy.)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Nope, it was an OG brazilian on Philips. Be right back, gotta look for the sad sweater...

Nope, it was an OG brazilian on Philips. Be right back, gotta look for the sad sweater...

Then I think that price would have been reasonable if it was clean.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Then I think that price would have been reasonable if it was clean.

No, it was not THAT clean. On the other hand, dude sold some jazz on Clef for $5 each, so no need for feelin Billy Corganed for now...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Syl Johnson: Is It Because I'm Black
    Skull Snaps: S/T
    The Stark Reality: Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop
    Wayne Mcghie & The Sounds Of Joy: S/T
    S.O.U.L.: What Is It
    Freddie Terrell And The Soul Expedition: S/T
    The Invaders: Spacing Out
    Turner Bros: Act 1
    The Lovelites: S/T[/b]

ill agree with whoever said that the skull snaps is a $50 record. its very good for what it is but not for the price it gets.

ive never really dug the stark reality but i know a dozen friends who would raise an eyebrow at that statement. however its just my feeling. when my boy matt got it in st louis or somewhere out there, i heard it a couple of times. its mostly just not what im into. price wise as well... should not be that expensive. the cover is dope though and i really do dig the jacket.

i dont think the invaders is that great. yall make it out to be this landmark of a record. i think yall are wrong but thats just my opinion. its dope the first time but loses value really quick to me.

that syl is nice. soul as well and i wish i could remember who i lent my copy to. the turner bros is really nice. as is their 45s. lovelites are awesome.

really though, ive never heard the mcghie or the terrell...

a few id really like:

whatnauts - on the rocks : rounds out my whatnauts collection and they sing great! i refuse to pay over $150-200 for that though. really i just cant find myself spending more for that.

edge of daybreak or whatever that prison sweet soul LP is. ugh! i want that... i know who has one but my trades right now are mediocre and nothing comparable to that. absolutely beautiful LP from start to finish.

syl johnson - dresses/is it because : dont have either but both on cd. the vinyl would be nicer.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I've groused about this before, but all this focus on the Recognized Rare--while completely understandable--disappoints the fuck out of me. Strictly sanctioned taste, whatever the price bracket, is the province of the little dude. I mean, building one's foundation on that which is familiar, which is known, is only natural, but make no mistake: You can only spend your way to the middle. Without the courage to move on and to follow your own taste to those dark, unknown, potentially embarassing places, places that don't show up on Popsike, you're just another warm checkbook out there waiting for the man.

Sounding poor > sounding identical. Always.

(Note: I realize that threads like this are meant in good fun, and mostly serve as occasions for light banter between aliases and those that might as well be, but fuck it--I'm feeling crusty this morning, and like my man Herbie used to say: "I'm not doing it to you, son--I'm just doing it." Marshmallows with harshed mellows have my apologies in advance.)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've groused about this before, but all this focus on the Recognized Rare--while completely understandable--disappoints the fuck out of me. Strictly sanctioned taste, whatever the price bracket, is the province of the little dude. I mean, building one's foundation on that which is familiar, which is known, is only natural, but make no mistake: You can only spend your way to the middle. Without the courage to move on and to follow your own taste to those dark, unknown, potentially embarassing places, places that don't show up on Popsike, you're just another warm checkbook out there waiting for the man.

(Note: I realize that threads like this are meant in good fun, and mostly serve as occasions for light banter between aliases and those that might as well be, but fuck it--I'm feeling crusty this morning, and like my man Herbie used to say: "I'm not doing it to you, son--I'm just doing it." Marshmallows with harshed mellows have my apologies in advance.)

poetry

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I typically agree, but not everything mentioned fits the bill. You probably would pay more for the reish than the original of this:

One from this thread where quality > price.

I typically agree, but not everything mentioned fits the bill. You probably would pay more for the reish than the original of this:

Where do you live that mint OG copies of Hard Hands are regularly showing up for $8.99 and less?

• Anyone who does not own at least four Temptations records AND four Aretha Franklin records should be banned from Soulstrut for at least one month.

I think we need to start instituting rules like this - can we get local advocates who will perform collection inspections? .

Anyone who does not own at least four Temptations records AND four Aretha Franklin records should be banned from Soulstrut for at least one month.

This is a good rule.

Extended banning if the number of Carolyn/Erma Franklin records in your crates exceeds the number of Aretha titles.

• I've groused about this before, but all this focus on the Recognized Rare--while completely understandable--disappoints the fuck out of me. Strictly sanctioned taste, whatever the price bracket, is the province of the little dude. I mean, building one's foundation on that which is familiar, which is known, is only natural, but make no mistake: You can only spend your way to the middle. Without the courage to move on and to follow your own taste to those dark, unknown, potentially embarassing places, places that don't show up on Popsike, you're just another warm checkbook out there waiting for the man.

like a breath of fresh aire

• Anyone who does not own at least four Temptations records AND four Aretha Franklin records should be banned from Soulstrut for at least one month.

This is a good rule.

Extended banning if the number of Carolyn/Erma Franklin records in your crates exceeds the number of Aretha titles.

... or if the number of Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin solo records exceeds the number of Temptations titles.

Anyone who does not own at least four Temptations records AND four Aretha Franklin records should be banned from Soulstrut for at least one month.

This is a good rule.

Or, if Temptations covers by obscure Bahamian groups outnumber Temps lp's.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Where do you live that mint OG copies of Hard Hands are regularly showing up for $8.99 and less?

Yeah, apparently they are selling for a bit more than I thought. Mine cost me $2 in NYC, but maybe that because its NM.

i know ive sat down with multiple folks at one time or another and complained about this same shit... really though, to me, its just a shame that folks dont know more about those great singers and musicians that were common on the radio through the years.

then again, maybe a lot of dudes who dig for the rare have already done their history with more common artists in their year or two of diggin. i also didnt have the internet when i first started and bought EVERYTHING like that karlophone dude does. i didnt have a portable either like so many dudes now.

This is a good rule.

... or if the number of Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin solo records exceeds the number of Temptations titles.

And you get a finger cut off if you have the below Ruffin "modern soul" piece, but no Temps.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Strictly sanctioned taste, whatever the price bracket, is the province of the little dude.

Nicely put. It's a classier way of saying

This is a good rule.

I can see where you guys are coming from, and personally I'm mostly in what your boy Fred Durst would call "agreeance," but still, like I said, sanctioned taste is sanctioned taste. "You must have x bedrock pieces to operate at x level" is not too terribly far from "You must have x wall pieces to operate at x level." Really, that's just trading an economic imperative for a historical imperative. Whereas what I'm talking about, what I feel is in too-short supply here, is the truly personal imperative. Put another way, I feel that this place has become merit-rich but character-poor.

• i know ive sat down with multiple folks at one time or another and complained about this same shit... really though, to me, its just a shame that folks dont know more about those great singers and musicians that were common on the radio through the years.

then again, maybe a lot of dudes who dig for the rare have already done their history with more common artists in their year or two of diggin. i also didnt have the internet when i first started and bought EVERYTHING like that karlophone dude does. i didnt have a portable either like so many dudes now.

Well, I think access to obscure and rare titles (whether via ebay or downloading on soulseek or realheadz or whatever) has given a lot of folks the idea that they can somehow "skip grades".

I also think having a relative rarity in one's expedit is a lot more satisfying to cats, and I partially blame the internet for that, too.

I hated on finds posts for a while, but everyone liked them so much I gave up. But the reason I hated it was how, if you list records nobody cares, if you take pictures everyone is all up on it... why is that? Because people don't know titles. I wonder what people would do with a record list these days. Oh, there was a time... [/crotchety]

If you found the top seven records in the RealHeadz forum everyone's like, "DIE" "OMG LET ME HOLLER AT THAT" "PM ON THE WAY" but when Birdman9 finds - LITERALLY - the best haul I've ever seen on this site, you get a small handful of people who are like, "nice". Most folks who really go out and find serious shit aren't posting pictures of it for the world to see, it's totally fetishizing records and who that ends up hurting is the consumer, who loses out on the experience of finding great titles on their own. Cats come into my shop all day and ask after the same records, if something gets talked about on soulstrut I can guarantee that I'll sell a copy in the next week.

I mean, I didn't understand why cats were aggy over the "terd" thread - I think it's great for people to have differences in taste. That's the way that you learn. On the other side of the same coin, the idea that soulstrut posters could somehow offer a sanctioned list of titles for the novice digger is pure comedy.

• which is a long rambling poorly-written way of saying, "yes James I agree with your second post as well"

This is a good rule.

I can see where you guys are coming from, and personally I'm mostly in what your boy Fred Durst would call "agreeance," but still, like I said, sanctioned taste is sanctioned taste. "You must have x bedrock pieces to operate at x level" is not too terribly far from "You must have x wall pieces to operate at x level." Really, that's just trading an economic imperative for a historical imperative. Whereas what I'm talking about, what I feel is in too-short supply here, is the truly personal imperative. Put another way, I feel that this place has become merit-rich but character-poor.

You are veering dangerously close to the "personal musical journey" territory already claimed by the one Patrick Billard.

This is a good rule.

imo, i think that a lot cats just want to get stuff that others are talking about. which can be fine, but if youre buying all the ruffin and kendrick stuff without trying out the temps stuff as well, then youre just hurting yourself.

This is a good rule.

You are veering dangerously close to the "personal musical journey" territory already claimed by the one Patrick Billard.

This is a good rule.

The scare-quotes around "personal musical journey" make you look shook.

And who is Patrick Billard?

This is a good rule.

The scare-quotes around "personal musical journey" make you look shook.

And who is Patrick Billard?

His nom de post was crazypoprock.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Well, I think access to obscure and rare titles (whether via ebay or downloading on soulseek or realheadz or whatever) has given a lot of folks the idea that they can somehow "skip grades".

So very, very true. There really isn't much to add to this statement.

I also think having a relative rarity in one's expedit is a lot more satisfying to cats, and I partially blame the internet for that, too.

Also very true and an extension of the quote above it. There are a lot of people coming into it thinking, "Why should I fuck around with these one-dollar Earth Wind & Fire records when I can get a Brainfreezebraekraer?" And sometimes it's even simpler than that: People take common records for granted. They see EW&F everywhere and, assuming they have any inclination to pick it up at all, think, "Oh, I'll grab it next time, but for now, I want a pricier, raer-ier joint." That's certainly an easy trap to fall into.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Skull Snaps: S/T

People may sweat this and the price is bonkers - but this really truly is a 50 dollar record tops. It's not THAT good.

$50 bucks?

Your basing this on musical taste right? If the price on everything was based on this, 99.9% of music would be dirt cheap.

You have to include things like musical significance and rarity.
    Cause how many times do you come across this record in the field? I still know dudes that have been collection 10+ years who refuse to buy a copy unless they find it digging. They still don't have a copy... It doesn't kill them that they don't. But that still doesn't mean they aren't looking at copies that are selling for some money and hoping that "one day..."

Plus, what are the chance of anyone who says its a fifty doller record finding one and turning around and selling it for under $50 bucks? Zero!

Anywayz, it's all relative... I've sold 90's MCA one track promos for $50 bucks.
    Do I believe it's a fifty dollar record? If I really wanted it and couldn't find a copy, I just might... We all don't have the same needs and wants or the ability to get at it.

PS - All of a sudden is one of my fav funk tunes of all time.

PSS- I Like Cake