tom scott honeysuckle breeze

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can people please stop referring to the Jefferson Airplane ORIGINAL as a "version"? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't "Today," their song that Scott covered?

• Can people please stop referring to the Jefferson Airplane ORIGINAL as a "version"? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't "Today," their song that Scott covered?

Yeah ok, i didn't really put any meaning in the choice of words but of course you're right, JA is the og..

/L

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    sooo... its red/black, orange/red, blue/green? on all impluses? i always get that shit confused...

and yall really hate the tom scott? i dont know... its okay. i remember getting it, of course for the sample way back then, but i grew to like the LP over the years. obviously i pass it up often to hear most anything else but i dont think its as bad as yall feel that it is...

• I've always kinda dug this record. I've had my own copy for years. "Today" is dope.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I like the record as well, but it's definitely a more satisfying sell than listen.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i think 'never my love' is beautiful.

• I guess I just don't understand the hate - there are plenty of bad records out there, most of which are far worse than this one... I have a particularly hard time turning this up, see it maybe thrice a year? Again, just because it's rare doesn't mean it's that much better than, say, his other records on Impulse.

people just want to hate... its okay though. ive hated on records too. though i dont think this record warrants the poopooing its received here.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's because it's been so long since a CTI thread.

Faux or Hcrink must explain why this album is a terd - using more words than "this album is a terd" - or they're terds.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I guess I just don't understand the hate - there are plenty of bad records out there, most of which are far worse than this one... I have a particularly hard time turning this up, see it maybe thrice a year? Again, just because it's rare doesn't mean it's that much better than, say, his other records on Impulse.

It's not the worst record I've ever heard by any means, but it's got the sort of how-good-it-actually-is versus how-heavily-people-sweat-it ratio that invites hatting.

Faux is more articualte than I. I'll let him.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I like the record, even if it means I have to agree with my e-enemy Paycheck. Watch your back.

I could bury you all in $1 lounge records that destroy this.

That could just mean you have a lot of uber-hot $1 lounge records.

Bottomline: it's one thing to say, "this record is overrated." Many of us might agree. It's another thing to say, "this record is basically shit."

yeah, OK, if this was a $1-10 record I'd still have it. It'd sit on my shelf & get listened to about as much as my Dick Hyman lp's.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That could just mean you have a lot of uber-hot $1 lounge records.

Bottomline: it's one thing to say, "this record is overrated." Many of us might agree. It's another thing to say, "this record is basically shit."

Well, lest my clarification above be interpreted as a retreat, let me clarify further: I still contend that it is a terd and am merely acknowledging that bigger terds exist.

yeah, OK, if this was a $1-10 record I'd still have it. It'd sit on my shelf & get listened to about as much as my Dick Hyman lp's.

thats a good answer to me. and i would agree...

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I really like the Jefferson Airplane version, too, for reasons quite independent of the TROY sample.

• We used drop this at APT back in ze day. I like. Very good 'fuck everybody up the dancefloor' track.

I also like the Gabor Szabo LP (Wind, Sky and Diamonds) with the same background singers, the 'California Dreamers'. Very tight cover of Eric Burden's 'San Franciso Nights' that I believe was jacked by PUTS.

To me, both these albums represent the best of micro genre I call 'hippie jazz'.

$??

• Again, just because it's rare doesn't mean it's that much better than, say, his other records on Impulse.
    i actually prefer "rural still life" over this one. not as hippied-out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    'hippie jazz'

I picture a polite pot party, circa 1968
    draft-deferred 28-year-old grad students,
    puffing some overpriced texican dirt weed
    and groovin' to Joe Pass Stones Jazz