the Paypal Police (question related)

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
OK, so I just got an email that someone has opened a complaint against me. They have not contacted me with a problem, but according to the paypal email, either they have not gotten their record, or it's not in the described condition. But I dunno which, cause like I said, dude never said nothing. It was mailed to Japan, so of course their is no tracking or insurance.Am I fucked? What does one do in a situation like this?Plaese to enlighten...

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Reply with as much information as you can. Paypal isn't supposed to get involved in disputes involving the "quality" of the product but they will fuck you if the person is claiming they never received it. People in Japan are pretty honest byandlarge. Email him and ask him what is going on. It once took me two months to get a record from Japan and actually arrived the day I emailed the dude asking when he sent it.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I my limited experience the buyer is usually right. It's probobly why you see less and less online stores using paypal these days.

The best example I can speak on first hand is when a friend sold an IPOD "as is". It worked (most AS IS don't). The only problem was the scratches on the casing. He had a picture of the item online and he wrote in bold many times "SOLD AS IS. NO REFUND. BUY AT OWN RISK" and started the auction at $1. He also said "I AM SELLING AS IS BECASE THERE ARE SCRATCHES ON THE UNIT AND I DO NOT WANT ANYONE COMPLAINING". No reserve also by the way...

So... Paypal took over. The buyer won. I don't know what the buy claimed, but I'm pretty sure the claim was that the IPOD did not function. My friend not only lost the IPOD (Paypal is not in the business of getting items returned, only funds) but his money also. So this person now has a working IPOD with a few scratches and didn't have to pay a penny, even for shipping. This was a while ago so maybe things changed, but I've heard of a few "AS IS" items being haunted by Paypal.

• There is a webpage dedicated to issues with Paypal. Check it out: http://www.nopaypal.com/

• Options
    Go to the post office and send a registered letter to his address in Japan (could be emtpty, could have pics of you and your ma - whatever). Voila! a tracking number and no chance for his refund.

K.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    thanks!

I emailed the guy right away & asked what the problem was.

But as for not using paypal, or demanding international purchases be insured, I may as well shoot myself in the face...

Go to the post office and send a registered letter to his address in Japan (could be emtpty, could have pics of you and your ma - whatever). Voila! a tracking number and no chance for his refund.

K.

wow!

you rule!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

K.

wow!

you rule!

Explains all the weird pics I've been getting from K in the mail. (ayo)

Looking into payapl policies on this issue & they make it awful easy to fuck someone over. Kinda scary...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i dealt with this same issue...

kid got the record and my money... paypal says this is a common thing.

its okay though... had my pal go over his house and slap him up... i did get my record back though so two months wasted with this fuck and paypal is okay.

give me an address in japan and if i can send over one of my folks i will... depending on where in japan you sent the package.

i dealt with this same issue...

kid got the record and my money... paypal says this is a common thing.

its okay though... had my pal go over his house and slap him up... i did get my record back though so two months wasted with this fuck and paypal is okay.

give me an address in japan and if i can send over one of my folks i will... depending on where in japan you sent the package.

haha!

thanks, J****, if K's more peaceful method does not work, I'll holler...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

haha!

being that youre not a rap fan ill just tell you... there was once a tune from a fantastic rap group (really just the emcee was fantastic). the tune was called "Peace is Not the Word to Play"... now really the word "Peace" in the song kinda referred to saying "aiight man Peace!" but still... Peace only gets you so far in this world...

...and sometimes smackin kids up over shit will make them understand whats really...

• Had something similar happen last month....

Buyer purchases a record from me and files a paypal complaint because the record was an original German pressing, not American like he wanted (yet he never bothered to e-mail and ask).

Paypal decided in his favor and took the funds out of my account and gave him a refund....so I was out the $36 and the record.

I kept calling paypal's customer service number and of course they gave me the run around. I was persistent though and FINALLY they connected me to someone who reviewed the case and noticed paypal made an error. They should not have taken the funds out of my account so paypal ended up giving me the $36 back :-)

Just be persistent and/or annoying with paypal on the phone and you should end up getting a fair shake. Also, whenever you talk to one of thier customer service reps, even before they tell you anything, make sure you let them know you're writing thier name down and have them spell it out for you like you mean business. That always gives them a scare lets em know you ain't fuckin around!

haha!

being that youre not a rap fan ill just tell you... there was once a tune from a fantastic rap group (really just the emcee was fantastic). the tune was called "Peace is Not the Word to Play"... now really the word "Peace" in the song kinda referred to saying "aiight man Peace!" but still... Peace only gets you so far in this world...

...and sometimes smackin kids up over shit will make them understand whats really...

word up, yo! (is this still an acceptable hip-hop phrase?)

Had something similar happen last month....

Buyer purchases a record from me and files a paypal complaint because the record was an original German pressing, not American like he wanted (yet he never bothered to e-mail and ask).

Paypal decided in his favor and took the funds out of my account and gave him a refund....so I was out the $36 and the record.

I kept calling paypal's customer service number and of course they gave me the run around. I was persistent though and FINALLY they connected me to someone who reviewed the case and noticed paypal made an error. They should not have taken the funds out of my account so paypal ended up giving me the $36 back :-)

Just be persistent and/or annoying with paypal on the phone and you should end up getting a fair shake. Also, whenever you talk to one of thier customer service reps, even before they tell you anything, make sure you let them know you're writing thier name down and have them spell it out for you like you mean business. That always gives them a scare lets em know you ain't fuckin around!

cool. thanks you!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Out of curiousity, was it a big money record?

Out of curiousity, was it a big money record?

not really. $50

Dude got it today. Left a positive feedback comlaining of slow shipping. Fucker.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

raer?

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    This just happened to me too.

From my experience it seems like the seller is at the mercy of the Pay Pal and the honesty of the buyer. Never a good position to be in.

This kid bought a Los Angeles Negros record off me, realized it didn't have a break, and then promptly claimed it was broken in half. I sent it Priority with tracking, in a record mailer. He claimed it wasn't shipped properly. There were tons of inaccuracies in his story (I've been on e-bay for 8 years...check his history and he's been a member for 3 years...19+ feedback, etc), but in the end, I felt compelled to pay him back, to avoid a freeze on my account. I even had to pay for shipping.

This was after tons of obnoxious e-mails about how his friend knows the Beatnuts...and therefore I should provide him a refund! Checked the dude's feedback and he also bought a Cold Blood LP for $!16.00

I was strongly considering doing the Jay and Silent Bob thing and knocking on his door. Obviously, it's not the money that bothered me but that fact that he was trying to get over.

so yeah, in conclusion if it's not a high ticket item, it may not be worth your time or patience to be RIGHT. because pay pal negotaition takes a loooong time to resolve, while your account stays frozen.

it sounds like you got your situation straightened out. good to hear...the horror stories are causing me to think twice about pp.