San Diego questions (NRR and RR)

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Hello Friends ??? I need some info for Man. He is going to be in San Diego this weekend for some skateboard thing and he has no hotel yet. Can you suggest a good and cheap hotel or areas close to the convention centre on Harbor Drive?He has also offered to check a record store or two for me - please suggest rap vinyl outlets also in the area.He is a vegan ??? any decent places to eat you can suggest would be greatly appreciated, too.Thank You.

Comments

• Isn't the ASR trade show this weekend? I honestly don't know of any hotels but there are some down where your man is going to be. I don't know how the trade show will affect that.

What rap records are you looking for? I can lead you in the right direction if I have an idea of what you are looking for.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yea - he's going to ASR...I don't know how lucky he's going to be either, given the crowds. but I was wondering about other places nearby in case everything right there is sold out.

I'm not looking for anything difficult, just shit that I can't seem to get here in Toronto, even with special order - namely the Bun B and Three 6 full LPs.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    yea - he's going to ASR...I don't know how lucky he's going to be either, given the crowds. but I was wondering about other places nearby in case everything right there is sold out.

I'm not looking for anything difficult, just shit that I can't seem to get here in Toronto, even with special order - namely the Bun B and Three 6 full LPs.

U can't get that at Play? Or u should talk to Jim at Traxx... I'm sure he can hook up that stuff.

I don't go to Play...my bro tried to order it through his work, but no go. If Man is willing to grab it, then I'll just do it that way.

Who's Jim?

PS. I'm working on your PM question, too. I'm asking around...do you care if it's a chick or a dude?

I don't go to Play...my bro tried to order it through his work, but no go. If Man is willing to grab it, then I'll just do it that way.

Who's Jim?

PS. I'm working on your PM question, too. I'm asking around...do you care if it's a chick or a dude?

Jim is the owner of Traxx.. They got 3 locations (Tho selection downtown ain't up to par with being such a small space) Dude can get most promo shit out. I know he's downtown at the shop on the regular. So you could just swing by and talk to him. He's a good guy and does go the extra mile for people.

And no I don't care.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    whats ASR?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm working on your PM question, too. I'm asking around...do you care if it's a chick or a dude?

Ref - can I get a call on a potential AYO?!?

whats ASR?

extreme!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Hello Friends ??? I need some info for Man. He is going to be in San Diego this weekend for some skateboard thing and he has no hotel yet. Can you suggest a good and cheap hotel or areas close to the convention centre on Harbor Drive?

He has also offered to check a record store or two for me - please suggest rap vinyl outlets also in the area.

He is a vegan ??? any decent places to eat you can suggest would be greatly appreciated, too.

Thank You.

hotels in sd near the area you want are tough to find cheap, sepcially during a convention, better off trying to find something in Mission Valley... farther out, but cheaper... also, since he is Canadian (i'm guessing...), could try some of the hostels... there's a nice one in Ocean Beach...

and the new triple 6 LP came out only on clean promo only... tough to find...

• I'm working on your PM question, too. I'm asking around...do you care if it's a chick or a dude?

AYO stands. 10 yards for unintentional spiciness.

Hello Friends ??? I need some info for Man. He is going to be in San Diego this weekend for some skateboard thing and he has no hotel yet. Can you suggest a good and cheap hotel or areas close to the convention centre on Harbor Drive?

He has also offered to check a record store or two for me - please suggest rap vinyl outlets also in the area.

He is a vegan ??? any decent places to eat you can suggest would be greatly appreciated, too.

Thank You.

hotels in sd near the area you want are tough to find cheap, sepcially during a convention, better off trying to find something in Mission Valley... farther out, but cheaper... also, since he is Canadian (i'm guessing...), could try some of the hostels... there's a nice one in Ocean Beach...

and the new triple 6 LP came out only on clean promo only... tough to find...

thanks for the info - will let him know.

yea - clean copy is not really what i want, but i might have to settle? this is more difficult than i thought.

I'm working on your PM question, too. I'm asking around...do you care if it's a chick or a dude?

HA.. No AYO!

In Toronto, it's almost impossible to find a family doctor. One that is taking new patients. So, in a PM as a side question, I asked MissB if she knew anyone.

Penalty request denied!!!

HA.. No AYO!

In Toronto, it's almost impossible to find a family doctor. One that is taking new patients. So, in a PM as a side question, I asked MissB if she knew anyone.

and in retrospect i realize that i should not have mixed the pm world with the board world. sorry B****.

• I'm working on your PM question, too. I'm asking around...do you care if it's a chick or a dude?

HA.. No AYO!

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    san diego mostly sucks for records but there's a lot of vegan stuff there, mostly due to the abundance of the locust/xcorex kids. A really great place to check is this burrito/mexican restaurant in north park. I forget the name of it but it's on a street perpendicular to University (on the same block as off the record, I believe...someone help me out).

also there is the che cafe on UCSD campus which serves vegan food nightly, and I think thursday nights they have a vegan all you can eat.

record-wise, uh there's some hip hop store in pacific beach, off the record in north park (kinda sucks, indie crowd, overpriced)...lou's in encinitas but i don't know how their hip hop compares.

san diego mostly sucks for records but there's a lot of vegan stuff there, mostly due to the abundance of the locust/xcorex kids. A really great place to check is this burrito/mexican restaurant in north park. I forget the name of it but it's on a street perpendicular to University (on the same block as off the record, I believe...someone help me out).

also there is the che cafe on UCSD campus which serves vegan food nightly, and I think thursday nights they have a vegan all you can eat.

record-wise, uh there's some hip hop store in pacific beach, off the record in north park (kinda sucks, indie crowd, overpriced)...lou's in encinitas but i don't know how their hip hop compares.

thank you so much!
    oh he'll see the value of soulstrut now as opposed to thinking it's just some nerdfest.

• I manage a store in South Park called M-Theory that stocks a pretty good selection of hip hop, both new and used (separate stores, like Lou's). While I have both the Draped Up 12" and the Stay Fly 12" in stock, I don't know that I'll be able to get those artists' LPs by this weekend, but I'll look into it. Our stores are on 3004 Juniper 92104 and 2234 30th 92104 respectively. A google map search on those addresses should give you accurate directions.

I manage a store in South Park called M-Theory that stocks a pretty good selection of hip hop, both new and used (separate stores, like Lou's). While I have both the Draped Up 12" and the Stay Fly 12" in stock, I don't know that I'll be able to get those artists' LPs by this weekend, but I'll look into it. Our stores are on 3004 Juniper 92104 and 2234 30th 92104 respectively. A google map search on those addresses should give you accurate directions.

thank you thank you. this is all such great help. Yea SD folks!

uh-oh - looks like i'll have to eat my past words and send him with a list of records to buy for me even though it's his vacation! hahahaha....!

ha.

no.

well, maybe.

• Options

HA.. No AYO!

WHo needs a doctor? I knkow a couple out here that are record geeks - I'm sure I can get you in.

K.

• hi missbassie!

Manfriend should look into national city for hotels. its kinda ghetto but its just outside of downtown and i remember seeing some brand new hotels last year when i was down there. the pilipino food is grubtastic, but unfortunately, not vegan. there's a hari krishna temple in pacific beach thatll have the hippie jumpoff for like $2 or so. your man will have to feign interest but ive done it and its sooo worth it for the food. vegan friendly if im not mistaken.

anyways, when i last went, i stayed in little italy which is at the north western edge of downtown. it wasnt cheap though.

im trying to think of vegan joints cuz i used to roll with the hippies down there, but, they usually ate at the co-op or che cafe which was on campus. i think someone already mentioned this. anyways, that stuff was alright. there's a organic market somewhere's uptown like north park or hillcrest or somewhere's out where dizzy lives. like kensington? i cant remember, but its all vegan friendly. yeah, that wasnt much help.

forget about the records. just have your man bring some shorts and flip flops and soak up the sun.

hi missbassie!

Manfriend should look into national city for hotels. its kinda ghetto but its just outside of downtown and i remember seeing some brand new hotels last year when i was down there. the pilipino food is grubtastic, but unfortunately, not vegan. there's a hari krishna temple in pacific beach thatll have the hippie jumpoff for like $2 or so. your man will have to feign interest but ive done it and its sooo worth it for the food. vegan friendly if im not mistaken.

anyways, when i last went, i stayed in little italy which is at the north western edge of downtown. it wasnt cheap though.

im trying to think of vegan joints cuz i used to roll with the hippies down there, but, they usually ate at the co-op or che cafe which was on campus. i think someone already mentioned this. anyways, that stuff was alright. there's a organic market somewhere's uptown like north park or hillcrest or somewhere's out where dizzy lives. like kensington? i cant remember, but its all vegan friendly. yeah, that wasnt much help.

forget about the records. just have your man bring some shorts and flip flops and soak up the sun.

hey SugarPop! - and another wicked post to the stack - Thank You so much.

you guys are helping Man have the greatest time evar in SD, when he isn't skating, beering and babe-watching that is.

he's trying not to rent a car, but it's beginning to sound like he should. I would imagine he'll have to get out of the city for any skateparks and away from the fray for street stuff.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    there's a organic market somewhere's uptown like north park or hillcrest or somewhere's out where dizzy lives.?

henry's?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Mylatency is gonna be outta town this weekend so you might be able to score hella Joe Marillo raers.

• here's the one i like. well, i dont skate really, but ive been here and its pretty cool. what do i know. anyways, this whole site lists a bunch of skateparks. this one is within skating distance of the convention center.

http://www.socalskateparks.com/park/SanDiegoWashingtonStreet

here's the one i like. well, i dont skate really, but ive been here and its pretty cool. what do i know. anyways, this whole site lists a bunch of skateparks. this one is within skating distance of the convention center.

http://www.socalskateparks.com/park/SanDiegoWashingtonStreet

I am hugging you right now.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I manage a store in South Park called M-Theory that stocks a pretty good selection of hip hop, both new and used (separate stores, like Lou's). While I have both the Draped Up 12" and the Stay Fly 12" in stock, I don't know that I'll be able to get those artists' LPs by this weekend, but I'll look into it. Our stores are on 3004 Juniper 92104 and 2234 30th 92104 respectively. A google map search on those addresses should give you accurate directions.

I haven't been able to hit M-Theory since they opened their new store but when I used to go in they had a nice selection and great vibe. Now that I am in Oceanside I can't get there as easily but am looking forward to visiting again!

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

oh shit there's two m-theory stores?

yeah, that place i totally forgot about...pretty cool selection in a small space. also sold cool shirts and vinyl dolls i think? i went in there once, because it's across the street from a great bar called the whistle stop. pretty cheap and never gets too crowded, i'd stop by if i were you. i think some nights they have indie-pop, rocksteady/ska, or electronic themed nights. i'm sure they have a hip hop thing also.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    good looking. I was gonna ask this later on since I'm gonna be there in march.

more relevantly: 4 of my friends are going to that ASR thing and i'm completely jealous.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Mylatency is gonna be outta town this weekend so you might be able to score hella Joe Marillo raers.

True, but my hired help is going to take over the digging duties for me. Good luck hommies.