Bookstrut Exchange Program

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I've seen this happen with records (Secret Santa) and CDs, so why not try with books? Here are my suggestions:1) Post a list of books you are willing to trade. [/b]My advice is to pick books that you enjoyed very much and think are necessary reading. I know this concept will be hard for some of you collectros, but I think many of you could use some practice letting go of material possesions (because someday you may have no choice in the matter). 2) Find someone with a book you would like to read and offer an exchange, directing them to your list. [/b]This differs from the LP and CD exchanges in that each trade will take place between only two parties. While it might sound fun to get something random in the mail, reading a book takes more of an investment than listening to an album. I suspect many people would be less likely to read their book if it wasn't something they'd normally try. 3) Be prepared to lose.[/b] Just like any other exchange on Soulstrut, eventually somone will fail to follow through on their commitment. If this happens to you, feel free to out them here on the board, but try not to get too worked up about it. Please refrain from posting threats, physical addresses, etc. Sometimes life just isn't fair.I think the exchange should be open to anyone, but keep in mind that if you are a new poster (or an overly annoying poster) people might be reluctant to trade with you.If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please add on!-Ian

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Here is my list of available non fiction[/b] books:

1) First World, Ha Ha Ha! The Zapatista Challenge - Edited by Elaine Katzenberger [/b]

A wonderful selection of stories and essays about the Zapatistas.

2) War at Home - By Brian Glick[/b]

A brief history of covert actions against U.S. activists, as well as directions on how to deal with them.

3) Saving Private Power - by Michail Zezima[/b]

So many people on soulstrut need to read this book. Michael Zezima cuts through the B.S. in uncovering the truth behind WWII, or "The Good War."

4) Fast Food Nation - by Eric Schlosser[/b]

If you haven't read this yet, here's your chance. This one definitely lives up to its hype.

5) Last Night a DJ Saved My Life - by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton[/b]

Co-authored by Soulstrut's very own ladyboygrimsby (a.k.a. Bill Brewster), this book is the essential tome on the history of the DJ. In-depth and facinating, it should appeal to nearly everyone here.

6) The Wu-Tang Manual - by The RZA[/b]

Yes, as you'd expect, it's a little bit corny. But if you've ever loved the Wu, you'll most likely find something in here worth reading.

7) You Are Going to Prison - by Jim Hogshire[/b]

It should be noted that Jim Hogshire has been accused by many of being drug-crazed lunatic. That said, this book is highly informative. It follows the process of incarceration from arrest to death row, offering helpful advice along the way. (For those of you wondering, yes you will be anally raped.)

8) Tropical Truth - by Caetano Veloso[/b]

I know there are a ton of Brazil nuts (hyuk, hyuk) on here. Now you can read about Tropicalismo from Caetano himself.

9) Shadow of the Sun - by Rysard Kapuscinski[/b]

A series of amazing first-hand accounts of the decolonization of various African nations by Poland's first African correspondent. I cannot recommend this book enough!

10) All Things Censored - by Mumia Abu-Jamal[/b]

Regardless of whether or not you believe in Mumia's innocence, there is no denying the importance of his voice. This series of essays is informative, introspective and highly contreversial.

11) Chicago Days, Hoboken Nights - by Daniel Pinkwater[/b]

A collection of some of Pinkwater's commentaries on NPR's "All Things Considered." Daniel Pinkwater is one of my favorite authors of all time. This book, consisting mainly of stories from his high school and college years, provides background into what made him such a creative and interesting author. Most of it is absolutely hilarious!

Hmmm. Can anyone tell me why the UBBCode isn't working?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Try taking out the first image as its a database call, not a graphic and could be fucking it up

Try taking out the first image as its a database call, not a graphic and could be fucking it up

Good call, thanks!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I just thought about all the nearly finished books I have piling up. But I could still be down.

• girgir 329 Posts
    this is a badass idea. i'll have a list by the end of the week.

• call me weird but i like reading books on serial killers.
    i enjoy reading the authors analysis on what caused them to do what they did.

recommendations include..

the shrine of jeffrey dahmer
    if only
    somebodys husband,somebodys son

Seeing as how the girlstrut exchange program thread got three times the replies this one did, I'm going to assume that I overestimated strutter's interest in trading books.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    Seeing as how the girlstrut exchange program thread got three times the replies this one did, I'm going to assume that I overestimated strutter's interest in trading books.

patience, young grasshopper. i'm sure most of us are more than hesitant to part with some of our most cherished books (i got doubles of walden two, so that's going up...total dollarbincommon but very if that's your thing). i'll post a list when i get time. i think this is a very good idea.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

9) Shadow of the Sun - by Rysard Kapuscinski[/b]

A series of amazing first-hand accounts of the decolonization of various African nations by Poland's first African correspondent. I cannot recommend this book enough!

That indeed makes for a good read - he's enjoyed a lifelong fascination and attachment w/ the continent, seeing in person the changes wrought by colonialism and the questionable rule of African leadership that filled the vacated power vacuum in certain quarters...

• Count me in.[/b]

The books below were all bought new and read once. Google 'em for more info or send me a pm!

• (b*u*m*p)

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I'm in...

I've only got two now that I know I have doubles of.

I used to teach both of these books in a writing class I had at UCSD which focused on interpretation and reality.

They both are amazing reads for those interested.

I'll have to check at home later to see what else I can add...

VALIS is hands down my favorite Philip K. Dick novel and dude's got many MANY great ones to choose from. This one combines interpretation, philosophy, religion, paranoia, and the retelling of one of the strangest true-life series of experiences (most of the shit in the novel actually happened to Dick - read the biography Divine Invasions for more info) I've ever come across.

Thomas Pynchon's "easiest" and shortest book to read. Just over 150 pages, but chock full of Pynchon goodness! Funny, biting, satirical, enlightening, and the source of my Ebay handle: dr.hilarius. Also has one of my all-time favorite first sentences ever.

I think I have multiple copies of each of these so I should be able to trade with more than one person if you all are interested...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'll post a short list in the next few days too. Definitely some stuff I'd trade for...

*b*u*m*p*

Just curious if anything ever happened with this thread?

Hey Red Clay - I would be interested in that Coupland book if you're interested in either the P. K. Dick or Pynchon...

Black Music too if you want to do a 2fer?

Btw - what did you think of Angry Black White Boy?
    I was feeling the first half but was not as sure of end...

• girgir 329 Posts
    *b*u*m*p*

Hey Red Clay - I would be interested in that Coupland book if you're interested in either the P. K. Dick or Pynchon...

goat, what other dick have you read? i have some i'd be down to trade for the pynchon.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'm feeling this idea as well - but I'm wondering if anyone's up on some books.....I really want the first issues of the all the Iceberg Slim books - if anyone's got a hook let me know. OG of Catcher In The Rye is worth dduuuuucccckkkkeeettttsss.

*b*u*m*p*

goat, what other dick have you read? i have some i'd be down to trade for the pynchon.

I have read (and own) quite a bit of his stuff, but I'd also be interested in getting older paperbacks with cool covers of stuff I already have. I'll try to post a list of what I have when I get home and can take a look.

I have a few copies of the Pynchon from teaching so I am sure we can arrange something...

FYI - I just saw a preview of the new movie adaptation of Scanner Darkly this weekend when I caught the Albert Brookes movie - it's directed in that animated style by Linkletter - looks like it will be totally cool!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

I know there are a ton of Brazil nuts (hyuk, hyuk) on here. Now you can read about Tropicalismo from Caetano himself.

I really don't have enough books to do a trade list. I would like to read this Caetano book. Not willing to part with alot of the stuff I got, but I'd be willing to trade you this:

"Here is a musical history told in legends, facts, and rumors every bit as colorful as the images that illustrate the book. The story is filled with characters such as O.V. Wright, a singer deemed "too ugly to tour"; Frankie Lymon, who received a hot dog as full payment for some of the greatest R&B songs of all time; LaVern Baker, a.k.a. "Little Miss Sharecropper"; Bille Holiday shooting dice with the boys on the bus; Solomon Burke, R&B immortal and Doctor of Mortuary Sciences; soul ghoul Screamin' Jay Hawkins locked in his coffin by the Drifters; and many otehr talented and unique entertainers.

Illustrated with more than 400 original photographs, publicity shots, posters, programs, advertisements, program covers, magazine covers, album covers and sleeves, sheet music, and record labels in full color, this is a story of hot music and high style, of people who made history by being themselves and made the world a richer, wilder and definitely cooler place for the rest of us."

- spidey

I really don't have enough books to do a trade list. I would like to read this Caetano book. Not willing to part with alot of the stuff I got, but I'd be willing to trade you this:

"Here is a musical history told in legends, facts, and rumors every bit as colorful as the images that illustrate the book. The story is filled with characters such as O.V. Wright, a singer deemed "too ugly to tour"; Frankie Lymon, who received a hot dog as full payment for some of the greatest R&B songs of all time; LaVern Baker, a.k.a. "Little Miss Sharecropper"; Bille Holiday shooting dice with the boys on the bus; Solomon Burke, R&B immortal and Doctor of Mortuary Sciences; soul ghoul Screamin' Jay Hawkins locked in his coffin by the Drifters; and many otehr talented and unique entertainers.

Illustrated with more than 400 original photographs, publicity shots, posters, programs, advertisements, program covers, magazine covers, album covers and sleeves, sheet music, and record labels in full color, this is a story of hot music and high style, of people who made history by being themselves and made the world a richer, wilder and definitely cooler place for the rest of us."

- spidey

If twoply isn't into the trade I have a copy of Tropical Truths I'd be willing to trade. Just PM me after you hear from him...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• girgir 329 Posts
    *b*u*m*p*

I have read (and own) quite a bit of his stuff, but I'd also be interested in getting older paperbacks with cool covers of stuff I already have. I'll try to post a list of what I have when I get home and can take a look.

I have a few copies of the Pynchon from teaching so I am sure we can arrange something...

FYI - I just saw a preview of the new movie adaptation of Scanner Darkly this weekend when I caught the Albert Brookes movie - it's directed in that animated style by Linkletter - looks like it will be totally cool!

i only have the new editions of pkd stuff. i saw that trailer awhile ago and it does indeed pretty badass. i like how they are visualizing the suit dude wears when he is undercover.

i've got some older editions of vonnegut paperbacks i'd be down to tradeas well.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm down...

I got the following:

RAKIM TOLD ME

KILLING YOURSELF TO LIVE by chuck klosterman

DEMOCRACY: A VERY SHORT INTRODUCTION by bernard crick

MISS WYOMING by douglas coupland

1984 by george orwell (in thrift store condition)

holler

*b*u*m*p*

i only have the new editions of pkd stuff. i saw that trailer awhile ago and it does indeed pretty badass. i like how they are visualizing the suit dude wears when he is undercover.

i've got some older editions of vonnegut paperbacks i'd be down to tradeas well.

Ok, here's what I already have:

Confessions of a Crap Artist
    Divine Invasion
    Do Androids Dream
    Flow My Tears
    Game Players
    Man in the High Castle
    Scanner Darkly
    Three Stigmata
    Transmigration of Timothy Archer
    UBIK
    VALIS

Let me know if you have something I don't and if not then the mighty and esteemed Vonnegut is more than a fair trade (although I have Slaughterhouse 5, Deadeye Dick, Breakfast of Champions, and Player Piano).