anyone live in montreal/toronto/detroit

2»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I think last call is 2AM and things close up at 3.
    Or is it last call is 1 something and close up at 2?

1AM was the time a few years back.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think last call is 2AM and things close up at 3.

yes and if this isn't good enough for your liver there are lots and lots of afterhour parties in Toronto.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Toronto is amazing - especially if you have Miss B & Kev as your tour guides. Honestly, Montreal is cool, but it doesn't compare to Toronto. I mean, you guys have like 3 chinatowns. We've got a chinablock. We're small in comparison & live music might be cool but clubs are largely shitty, unless you're like those dudes in the Hotti thread. I can't front. It's too bad we've fallen off, but we're still cool. Its not like there's nowhere to eat, drink, shop in Montreal, but Toronto has many more choices.

peace

h

Agreed.

I would tend to disagree with certain things. Clubs are a piece of shit but the lounges and bars (jell-o, blizzart, salla rossa, divan orange, cafe daomey) are amazing and thriving.

I just wanna throw in the mix that speaking french and partaking in Quebec culture also opens doors to some of the wonders of the city.

Montreal is smaller (cozy style) than t.o no doubt both are good imo

Any strutter making his way here never hesitate to hit me up glad to be a guide

I liked blizzarts about 10 years ago. The Goods is okay. Stll lots of good eating in Montreal. And it pays to visit places outside of the downtown/plateau area.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i definatly prefer mtl to toronto... i think toronto can be a nice place for a visit but longterm im finding it pretty shit for living ... wifey and me are probably headed back to the east coast... its all about Halifax NS yo.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Matt Greasy will be cleaning out Detroit of all funk/soul/gospel 45's while everybody else is watching football.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    In toronto, the cool kids tries too hard to be ny......whereas the mainstream club scene tries way too hard to be miami.

although we smash montreal culinarily, thanks to the diverse immigrant population. Yes I know about fairmount + st viateur + schwartz's.....

In toronto, the cool kids tries too hard to be ny......whereas the mainstream club scene tries way too hard to be miami.

well put

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

although we smash montreal culinarily, thanks to the diverse immigrant population. Yes I know about fairmount + st viateur + schwartz's.....

Seriously though we have as much if not more cultural diversity (frenchness)...recognize

Shwartz although good is always labelled as the "montreal" thing . Food in mtl is the bomb as well, mad authentic and diverse.

I agree with the long term statement. I have travelled the world over but am always glad to come back to Montreal and consider it a great place to grow up in/have a family.

How does the natural landscape of MTL compare to Toronto

By the way belated props to DA EAST i've toured all of the Atlantic provinces and got nuthin but love

• Yeah, avoid Detroit at all costs, especially during the week of the Super Bowl. There will be no records, no celebrities and no imported whores.

although i would agree to avoid detroit during super bowl weekend, if you'll be around besides that, i'd say to definitely come dig through the following places in and around the city: the record graveyard in hamtramck; street corner music in southfield; people's records in detroit. they can all be found on mapquest, though google maps is best. true dat! DOUBLE TRUE!!!

whooooooa whooa! slow down nelly!!!! youre violating youre violating! you dont know what this beatdigging thing is a lla bout!!!!

how so? these spots were already posted on a different thread re: detroit a few weeks ago anyways.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    i definatly prefer mtl to toronto... i think toronto can be a nice place for a visit but longterm im finding it pretty shit for living ... wifey and me are probably headed back to the east coast... its all about Halifax NS yo.

I don't know about Halifax, but New Brunswick is all fat people, lousy bar food, cultural homogeneity, binge drinking, and forestry students. Please to move to Toronto post haste upon completion of schooling.

Seriously though we have as much if not more cultural diversity (frenchness)...recognize

Shwartz although good is always labelled as the "montreal" thing . Food in mtl is the bomb as well, mad authentic and diverse.

I agree with the long term statement. I have travelled the world over but am always glad to come back to Montreal and consider it a great place to grow up in/have a family.

By the way belated props to DA EAST i've toured all of the Atlantic provinces and got nuthin but love

You're right; Schwartz is less of a Montreal phenomenon than a Jewish phenomenon. As for cultural diversity, Montreal has nothing on Toronto. Whatever Montreal offers in terms of diversity Toronto has tenfold. Although it depends on your interests, I would say Montreal offers better access to nature. I'm biased towards climbing because that's what I do and in that regard it's nothing east of Calgary compares to Montreal. Then again, if you're a canoeist Ontario can't be beat. Anything that isn't climbing or canoeing is stupid, so there's no point factoring it into the argument.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Toronto: The 2001 Canadian census indicates 42.8% of Toronto's population being of a visible minority. In March 2005, Statistics Canada projected that the visible minority proportion will comprise a majority in both Toronto and Vancouver by 2012.

Montreal: the top four ethnic groups in the city are Canadian at 55.7% (1,885,085), French at 26.6% (900,485), Italian at 6.6% (224,460), and Irish at 4.7% (161,235) [stats courtesy of the wiki wiki wiki]

I think our definiton of diversity is a bit different than each other's. Neither of us are wrong but my criteria is less eurocentric perhaps. Recent immigrants tend to uphold their traditions (culinary included) with more pride than say a 3rd generation italian guido in the hotti thread. HAH!

Nobody is fucking w/ cantonese food in Toronto, except for HK, it is that on point. That alone vaults Toronto on top of Montreal......

I am sure there's great food there. The jewish establishments mentioned have no equal in Toronto, we're truly weak in the deli dept.

You guys win by a landslide. Toronto can be summed up in one word, flat.

Architectually, we don't stand a chance either. The only shining example I can come up w/ is the TD building by Mies Van der Rohe.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Neither of us are wrong

I'll agree you got numbers on us but we are pretty vaired no doubt. Love to both cities.

I don't know about Halifax, but New Brunswick is all fat people, lousy bar food, cultural homogeneity, binge drinking, and forestry students. Please to move to Toronto post haste upon completion of schooling.

NB does indeed suck

please to see the nice parts of the maritimes - halifax / capre breton / PEI

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Nobody is fucking w/ cantonese food in Toronto, except for HK, it is that on point.

Nobody is fucking w/ cantonese food in Toronto, except for HK, it is that on point. That alone vaults Toronto on top of Montreal......

Don't forget szechuan. Good luck finding a single szechuan pepper in montreal.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I love both Montreal and Toronto for different things.

But if you come to Toronto (and this is where I failed in my tour guide duties when HAZ visited) - you HAVE TO go to see the windmill by the lake. I mean up-close. It is definitely the scariest and most beautiful structure I have ever experienced in my life.

This picture is pretty close to what it's like to look up at it, but this picture does not capture the feeling that one of those blades can come slicing down on your neck or the sound of the wind in its trunk or the silent, menacing exquisiteness of it.

• Options
    Call me Greasy, I have records.

K.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Danno,

When u come back to town I gotta take u to this new spot for szechuan - It's owned by a retired chinese opera star. I was quite impressed...

peace

h

Really? Five years in Montreal and I never knew there was a szechuan restaurant? I look forward to going. I'm down with chinese opera.

+

=

• thanks this is the kind of info I need...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Greasy,

Bout time you get on here foll! Plaese to check your PMs. Seattle WHAT!

• Nobody is fucking w/ cantonese food in Toronto, except for HK, it is that on point. That alone vaults Toronto on top of Montreal......

Danno,

When u come back to town I gotta take u to this new spot for szechuan - It's owned by a retired chinese opera star. I was quite impressed...

peace

h

where is this? mouthfreeze in order.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Matt Greasy will be cleaning out Detroit of all funk/soul/gospel 45's while everybody else is watching football.

He's certainly welcome to try! Keep in mind that I live with the owner of People's, SoulH*wk has the Graveyard on double-lock, and unless you're in w/ S*nicR*ducer the heavy stuff at StreetCorner will not be making an appearance. We're an embittered bunch in the gloomy D.

In all seriousness, Detroit has so many amazing local 45's that you don't see elsewhere that you're bound to come up on something that excites you. Good luck!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    eBay[/b] has the Graveyard on double-lock

In all seriousness, Detroit has so many piles of Gminus 45s that you're bound to enjoy the crumbs that someone else has left behind. Good luck!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

In all seriousness, Detroit has so many piles of Gminus 45s that you're bound to enjoy the crumbs that someone else has left behind. Good luck!

We're an embittered bunch in the gloomy D.

• eBay[/b] has the Graveyard on double-lock

I don't mind scratchy records as long as they play...... you think that you got gloom, here in seattle its rained for 28 days straight. Urg! get me out!

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Breaka Breaka Self Self... holla at ya boy!