recommend a Sun Ra lp

2»

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Please listen to some sides by this man and then come back to all those boring old Sun Ra records and see if they don't move you more

according to his biographer, probably the most singular and importance influence on ol' Sunny. No lasers outta the bandstand, though.

• Disco 3000 recently got a reish... pretty bad ass.
    Lanquidity is the fave... as well as the ones that Art Yard has been doing.

• girgir 329 Posts
    I also recommend........

major co-sign. for anyone remotely interested in the man/myth/legend that was sun ra, it is very nicely broken down in this book.

• i've purchased probably 10 different Sun Ra LPs recommended to me,
    always looking for the elusive facemelting jam,
    but have found only tepid piano jazz.
    i want that lasers coming from the keyboard type shit.

what's good, Soul Strut?

i was about to tell you to go fuck yourself for the 'tepid piano jazz' comment but i'll bite my tongue. for mental laser keyboard shit check space probe and media dreams. can't wait for the disco 3000 outtakes coming out.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

How much do Earthlings pay for my Space Probe Lp

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    This is the one you need. Including *THE* version of 'Space is the place'.

• Also check the Singles Collection...

cosign. Some really great demented RnB things he did for various labels plus other schitt. Plus you will probably never get all the 45s compiled on this 2CD set. I know, fuck CDs. So burn/download it already. But Evidence (who reissued this) is a great label so if you do buy these things you're supporting one of the good guys.

I saw the Arkestra perform recently, opening up for Yo La Tengo at Maxwells in Hoboken. All in all pretty tight with a few intentional (and unintentional) cacophonous moments. They did blues, swing, spirit, out, all in that outerspaceways style. Definitely the best dressed jazz group I've seen in a while. Later they did 'Nuclear War' with Yo La Tengo towards the end. Yo La Tengo ended their show with a cover of Sun Ra's 'Dreaming', a dark doo woppish joint that can be found the singles set.

$??

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Also check the Singles Collection...

cosign. Some really great demented RnB things he did for various labels plus other schitt. Plus you will probably never get all the 45s compiled on this 2CD set. I know, fuck CDs. So burn/download it already. But Evidence (who reissued this) is a great label so if you do buy these things you're supporting one of the good guys.

I saw the Arkestra perform recently, opening up for Yo La Tengo at Maxwells in Hoboken. All in all pretty tight with a few intentional (and unintentional) cacophonous moments. They did blues, swing, spirit, out, all in that outerspaceways style. Definitely the best dressed jazz group I've seen in a while. Later they did 'Nuclear War' with Yo La Tengo towards the end. Yo La Tengo ended their show with a cover of Sun Ra's 'Dreaming', a dark doo woppish joint that can be found the singles set.

$??

"Dreaming/Daddy gonna tell you no lie" could quite easily be my favorite 45 of all time. That sounded like a great concert too.