Options

Chappele's Show postponed again..

edited May 2005 in Strut Central
yahoo story Says he's been missing from the set for weeks?!?!

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    hopefully he aint turning into the real Tyrone Biggums

• no shit..gotta make you wonder

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Yo that show is not even that funny. There I said it. Chappelle's a GREAT stand-up comedian and "Killing Them Softly" still ranks as the best stand-up routine ever. But that show has exactly one funny sketch per episode. And the rapper cameos are always hella contrived. A decent show. I won't miss it though.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    DC deserved a show because of his enormous talent as a standup. Too bad his show never panned out (at least to this viewer).

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    His show pales in comparison to his standup.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    killing them softly is like

chappelle show is

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow backlash like a muhfucka

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    You two must need zoloft or somethin cuz that shit is classic. I will admit theres always some stuff that isnt funny but the funny stuff is so funny that it makes up for it.

That's exactly right... I'll sit through the moments just to get to the ROTFLMAO moments. Chappelle's brand of humor is probably just too low brow for some people, but you know some dudes just LOVE to hate once somebody reaches that next level of success (too much hype = corny). Backlash in effect, no doubt.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I read somewhere that one of the reasons that production was held up (initially) was that Comedy Central was jerking Chappelle around in regard to DVD money (which they were rolling around in and not sharing with him or his people).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Yeah, seriously...just cause a bruh gets a little paper, everyone want to act like he doen't deserve it and that shit wasn't funny in the first place. I dare anyone who's changed their minds to turn the clocks back and tell me you weren't tuning in every week, if not taping every episode - or wishing you had.

Dave is by far in his best capacity doing stand-up, but the show is just as entertaining. I'd actually rather have Dave cancel the show than come with something weak this season. It's just not worth seeing anything genius tank and taint the other classic eposides.

Isn't it true that the season 2 DVD, which comes out at the end of the month, will not contain the Rick James joint? Last time I saw that episode on Comedy Central they noted that the James skit would not be aired, but showed everthing else.

Recording that whole season on VHS will actually end up paying off.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You two must need zoloft or somethin cuz that shit is classic. I will admit theres always some stuff that isnt funny but the funny stuff is so funny that it makes up for it.

That's exactly right... I'll sit through the moments just to get to the ROTFLMAO moments. Chappelle's brand of humor is probably just too low brow for some people, but you know some dudes just LOVE to hate once somebody reaches that next level of success (too much hype = corny). Backlash in effect, no doubt.

That show is funny as hell. Yeah, some of the material falls flat, but that's inevitable in the sketch comedy format, and when it does work it really works.

I want all of the HATTERS in this thread to tell me who's doing it better than Chapelle.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    AYO!!!

That's some hateration right here...the backlash is so 2004. Leave that for Kanye.

DC is one HELL OF A DUDE. Period. Of course it can disturbs some conservatist, but c'mon, for once he don't sell out. Who else did a show spiced with Hip-Hop reference like that?? Who else invited people like Mos Def and made the audience LISTEN to three verses without no R&B hook?? Who else brung PAUL MOONEY to the youth and finally showed what it is to KEEP IT REAL when talking on TV? Who else asked RZA and GZA to be funny. Oh and i forgot, who else can make fun of Whites without this infamous "Blacks and Whites, you know, we do things differently..." (got tired of this same ol' line).

Granted, all epidodes wasn't the bomb...But AYO again...Ashy Larry. I still call all my ashy friends like that man!! Eddie's brother is good too. The Prince sketch is a classic...And what else??? If people TALKED about Rick James (when he died), that's because of him again. AND he did him justice by NOT lickin RJ balls. He depicted him as he was. RJ said it himself. True Story.

What else...dude is not a follower. He don't fall for that Gangsta era...What else????? You need proofs that he deserves what he got : Martin, Chris, Bernie, and the list goes on...They all fell off. Wack shows, wack movies, wack scripts, wack sketches for some, etc...Look at all them Richard Pryor wannabees and you'll see that DC is one hell of a dude.

Now it's 5 o'clock. Gotta go...It's the freecrackgiveaway...

PS : i'm not part of his Street Team.

• aint nobody seeing the chapelle show as far as sketch comedy. snl? fuck no.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    That's not the point...He still stands out like a sore thumb among other comic acts.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

How do two negative comments (and even then, they still big up Chappelle as a stand-up) equate to backlash?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I want all of the HATTERS in this thread to tell me who's doing it better than Chapelle.

of all the hatters? chapeau does it better.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I'm not being a contrarian, but I dig the Chappele Show much more than his standup. I think he works better in a sketch comedy format.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Yo that show is not even that funny. There I said it. Chappelle's a GREAT stand-up comedian and "Killing Them Softly" still ranks as the best stand-up routine ever. But that show has exactly one funny sketch per episode. And the rapper cameos are always hella contrived. A decent show. I won't miss it though.

I think just the opposite. I thought his standup act was embarrassingly bad but his show kills it. I bet he's feeling the pressure. The first two seasons were such phenoms that ANYTHING he does will be a letdown.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

"Nobody does it half as good as you. Baby, you're the best!"

Really, though, Everybody Loves Raymond is way better.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I thought his standup act was embarrassingly bad but his show kills it

That is crazy talk right there Killing me Softly is top 5 standup routines ever in my book and when I saw him at the Warfield a couple years ago, I thought I was going to have a heartattack!

His show is good, but it totally revolves around 'We're gonna take a quick commercial break and we'll be right back'. The only way to watch it is with Tivo.

DJ Ferrari

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

Really, though, Everybody Loves Raymond is way better.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    That was a joke.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

"

Dave Chappelle is under pressure, according to a Newsweek report. The star of Comedy Central's popular "Chappelle's Show," is exhausted due to tension, partying and creative differences with Comedy Central, causing last week's halt in the show's production, the report said. "

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=3&u=/ap/20050509/ap_en_tv/dave_chappelle

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Nothing I've heard about this bodes well for the return of Chappelle...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Maybe the guy just needs a break. Remember what happened to Martin? There was a time I was thinkin this guy was a genius. I think sometimes doods just work to hard.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "The star of Comedy Central's popular "Chappelle's Show," is exhausted due to tension, partying[/b] and creative differences with Comedy Central, causing last week's halt in the show's production, the report said."

Is this now considered a legitimate excuse??

If so I'm fully prepared to start taking advantage...

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    "The star of Comedy Central's popular "Chappelle's Show," is exhausted due to tension, partying[/b] and creative differences with Comedy Central, causing last week's halt in the show's production, the report said."

Is this now considered a legitimate excuse??

If so I'm fully prepared to start taking advantage...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I thought his standup act was embarrassingly bad but his show kills it

That is crazy talk right there Killing me Softly is top 5 standup routines ever in my book and when I saw him at the Warfield a couple years ago, I thought I was going to have a heartattack!

His show is good, but it totally revolves around 'We're gonna take a quick commercial break and we'll be right back'. The only way to watch it is with Tivo.

DJ Ferrari

for a while i was watching killing them softly like once a week. there are only a few chappelle show sketches that i think are up to par with that act.

• You two must need zoloft or somethin cuz that shit is classic. I will admit theres always some stuff that isnt funny but the funny stuff is so funny that it makes up for it.

Co-sycophant on that.
    Everytime I put it on, it's either the Prince episode or the outtakes one. Hilarious.. the first 50 times I saw them.

I miss these guys

• what is the deal with the rick james episode?
    is rick pissed about it or what?!?!