Mac Users: Where to buy memory?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I want to upgrade my memory on my powerbook but don't want to buy it through the Apple store since they're charging chingo bling for it.Any reputable sellers ya'll would recommend?

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    i always buy locally, but did you check macmall?

www.macmall.com

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.asp

Cheap, reliable and quick delivery. Used them for years.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    in the past i've used ramjet.com. but next time i'm gonna use macmall.com on the strength of the name

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i always buy locally, but did you check macmall?

www.macmall.com

Oh word? Mac Mall! I didn't know he had a website that sold memory. Dope.

"Hey fool, got that memory for cheap ya'll! Vallejo holla!"

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    in the past i've used ramjet.com. but next time i'm gonna use macmall.com on the strength of the name

You beat me to it foll! LOL

• http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.asp

Cheap, reliable and quick delivery. Used them for years.

As an IT guy, I celebrate their entire catalog....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    in the past i've used ramjet.com.

That's where I got my memory upgrade from. They had a pretty fresh deal going on for a full 2GB--it definitely cost significantly less than what Apple charges, and it arrived at my door mad quick.

• I got cheap memory at Ramjet, but have had problems with it. Now it's working BUT when I first installed it I experienced frequent crashes. It still crashes if I put too much pressure on the bottom of the machine while it's running (ie, carrying it from room to room with your hand underneith). Something about the fan or the chip or something. From time to time the computer won't recognize its own airport card, which was never a problem before the RAM installation.

Basically, if you want foolproof get mac chips which will cost more. If you want cheap memory it works but you might have problems. You get what you pay for.

• on a side rant - the day after I bought my G4 Powerbook, the fucking Mac PowerPro comes out...

• If you use Microwave, please to avoid Kingston Value[/b]RAM for your Mac notebook. Kingston's regular (i.e. non-discounted) RAM is okay, but Serato has some issues running on its ValueRAM.

If you don't use Microwave, please to disregard this message.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    in the past i've used ramjet.com.

That's where I got my memory upgrade from. They had a pretty fresh deal going on for a full 2GB--it definitely cost significantly less than what Apple charges, and it arrived at my door mad quick.

RAMJET.COM

I got mad experts to confirm this...specifically my neighbor who's the biggest MacGeek on the face of the planet.

gNAT

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    on a side rant - the day after I bought my G4 Powerbook, the fucking Mac PowerPro comes out...

Dude, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but why would you buy ANY new Mac product the day before MacWorld? Maybe you're not that geeked out to have realized it (in which case, that's probably good for you) but anyone who's vaguely into Macs would have been expecting the announcement of an upgraded Powerbook or iBook running Intel.

In terms of side rants: my wife has the Powerbook with the higher-res screen, I have the one that's a generation older and my memory upgrade would cost twice as much as hers. That's some bullshit!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

In terms of side rants: my wife has the Powerbook with the higher-res screen, I have the one that's a generation older and my memory upgrade would cost twice as much as hers. That's some bullshit!
    I bought my powerbook in the summer of '04, and the RAM they used for it is real cheap now. I think it's like $200CAN for a gig stick.

• on a side rant - the day after I bought my G4 Powerbook, the fucking Mac PowerPro comes out...

Dude, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but why would you buy ANY new Mac product the day before MacWorld? Maybe you're not that geeked out to have realized it (in which case, that's probably good for you) but anyone who's vaguely into Macs would have been expecting the announcement of an upgraded Powerbook or iBook running Intel.

yeah - i'm not really into computers and wasn't made aware of this by any Mac owners i know.

I also have never even heard of this MacWorld thing you speak of aside from the post the other day

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    did you buy a new unit or used?

if you bought from apple they have a 14 day return policy.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

but seriously dude, you should've done a little bit of research, considering it's a major purchase. It wouldn't have taken you long as this info was all over the place.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The only place I would buy Mac RAM from is www.macgurus.com these guys really know their shit and have way higher quality control standards than the other vendors out there. Prices are competitive too.