what are your favorite records on Impulse!

2»

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    All lot of the faves mentioned (Yusef Lateef is a personal fave, coltrane is a lock)

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some, off-top:

-"Further Definitions"-Benny Carter & his Orchestra.
    -"October Suite"-Steve Kuhn.
    -"Passin' Thru"-The New Amazing Chico Hamilton Quintet.
    -cosign on "Ptah the El Daoud", "Journey to Satchidanada", "Tauhid", and "Johnny Hartman & John Coltrane".
    -"Travelin' Light"-Shirley Horn.
    -"Thembi"-Pharoah Sanders.
    -"Soul Duo"-Shirley Scott & Clark Terry.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    >Been playing this and ballads a lot latley.. also been playing a Szabo record I can't find a pic of.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    man I really can't get into Ascension.

• you're on this board too? dang.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    you're on this board too? dang.

(everyone knows that Detroit really controls SoulStrut)

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    you're on this board too? dang.

i'm everywhere....

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

(everyone knows that Detroit really controls SoulStrut)

• man I really can't get into Ascension.
    and i thought you were into free jazz! tsk, tsk

i'll never get what people see in "Attica Blues". it's like his "New Grass", only with strings.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I wonder what was going through Impulse's mind when they decided to release the first album by Genesis, Trespass. I figure back then that if a jazz label or fan decided to get into rock, a prog band was probably the best way to ease into it? Anyway, it does exist - this is not sarcasm. Would have posted a pic for evidence, but the Trespass covers I saw on Google either didn't have the Impulse logo on them, or couldn't be reproduced.

• cosign. Put the title track as the last track on one of my first mixes. Yusaf Lateef in general is highly underrated. (graemlin request--'underrated') Some of his Atlantic stuff can be spotty but he was freakin' 'Eastern Sounds' long before the free jazz/AACM crowd was down with the Oud. Put out or played on many, many quality rekkids. Doug Schilkind from WFMU does a yearly Yusaf Lateef birthday broadcast on his show 'Give the Drummer Some.' You can czeck an archive here.

Late to this thread so mas consign-age on the Alice Coltrane 'Journey in that word I can never remember how to say', Mel Brown, Clifford Coulter, and a million others. Fantastic label. I used to do a party called 'Stolen Moments' after the Oliver Nelson masterpiece, hope to revive it soon.

$??

• Man, this thread is great. Got to move away from the 45s I've been listening to too much, and throw on some of the old jazz lps. Day off from work, ate some soup, and dropped the needle on "Africa/Brass," "Thembi," and "Tauhid." Great day.

• I wonder what was going through Impulse's mind when they decided to release the first album by Genesis, Trespass. I figure back then that if a jazz label or fan decided to get into rock, a prog band was probably the best way to ease into it? Anyway, it does exist - this is not sarcasm. Would have posted a pic for evidence, but the Trespass covers I saw on Google either didn't have the Impulse logo on them, or couldn't be reproduced.

• Max Roach - Percussion Bitter Sweet
    Kind of like a slightly toned down version of Freedom Now Suite. Still makes my face melt every time.