what are your favorite records on Impulse!

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited May 2018 in Music Talk

Add on.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• bill plummer - cosmic brotherhood
    pharoah sanders - tauhid
    phil woods - greek cooking
    buddy montgomery - this rather than that

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    top 5 right this second (besides A Love Supreme, which should automatically be at the top of everyone's list):

and i didn't count this since it's a "box set" and not an "album", but this is probably my all-time #1 regardless of label or genre:

anyone got one of these for me?

and me?

and me?

i got first dibs buddy!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

• rural still life? it is amazing that you posted that

'impressions'

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    rural still life? it is amazing that you posted that

'impressions'

Hehe - just for the one track, obviously. It gets overlooked cos the rest of the LP sucks.....but the one cut? S'nice.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Buddy Montgomery - This Tather Than That
    Clifford Coulter - Do It Now! Worry 'Bout It Later
    Alice Coltrane
    Milt Jackson / Ray Brown

• ^i need this!!!^

some of mine:

Coltrane- s/t (the one with Tunji)
    Pharoah- Karma
    Roy Haynes- Out of the Afternoon
    Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Honorable mentions:
    Charlie Haden- Liberation Music Orch
    Sam Rivers- Crystals
    Michael White- Land of Spirit and Light; Pneuma

Hakim Jami, who played on this, is playing a free show in Detroit Monday night.

• Cosign that Coltrane at the Village Vanguard box. That is my favorite music ever recorded...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    My favw Impulse rekkid is my 45 of John Handy's "Hard Work!"

Also...I've never heard an album of his that was good all the way through, but I gotta cop a plea for Mel Brown. That cat was totally underrated. Impulse was not exactly famous for soul-jazz, but Mel did some worthwhile stuff. (I'd also put "Hard Work" in the s-j category, although I understand that most of Handy's records were a little more "out" than that.)

Oh shit, speaking of soul-jazz on Impulse, I forgot - Shirley Scott's Everybody Loves A Lover. You heard of one-trackers? To me, this is a one-sider, but that one side works well. It's the one with "Shirley" (a Chicago steppers' classic) on it

• My favw Impulse rekkid is my 45 of John Handy's "Hard Work!"

My dad used to play that for me all the time when I was real young. It is definitely one of my sentimental favorites.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

really like that one too, better than his first...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Was the first one East Side San Jose? I wasn't feeling that one, but the cover, with a pic of a San Jose street ca. 1969 (?), should be sold as a poster. Woulda posted it in the "fave album covers" thread if I could find an online image - the (now) vintage cars and fast-food restaurant signs were killin' it.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

• nickjnickj 53 Posts
    Under all the John Coltranes, Pharoahs, Alice Coltranes, and the Oliver Nelson, some of my personal favorites that haven't been mentioned:

Gil Evans, Out of the Cool
    Marion Brown, Vista + Sweet Earth Flying
    Ahamad Jamal, The Awakening
    Yusef Lateef, Club Date (more enjoyable than the "classic" Live at Pep's)

• My favw Impulse rekkid is my 45 of John Handy's "Hard Work!"

Also...I've never heard an album of his that was good all the way through, but I gotta cop a plea for Mel Brown. That cat was totally underrated. Impulse was not exactly famous for soul-jazz, but Mel did some worthwhile stuff. (I'd also put "Hard Work" in the s-j category, although I understand that most of Handy's records were a little more "out" than that.)

Oh shit, speaking of soul-jazz on Impulse, I forgot - Shirley Scott's Everybody Loves A Lover. You heard of one-trackers? To me, this is a one-sider, but that one side works well. It's the one with "Shirley" (a Chicago steppers' classic) on it

Cosign on Mel Brown...

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    if i had to pick 1:

coltrane "transition" an often overlooked posthumous coltrane lp with a goofy cover. recorded right before the quartet broke up, so its loose but still in the pocket. his solo on the title track is completely bonkers, and is my favorite recorded solo by him ever. 15 minutes of bliss. don't sleep on this one.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Was the first one East Side San Jose? I wasn't feeling that one, but the cover, with a pic of a San Jose street ca. 1969 (?), should be sold as a poster. Woulda posted it in the "fave album covers" thread if I could find an online image - the (now) vintage cars and fast-food restaurant signs were killin' it.

yeah thats the one, a dope cover for sho but musically not as diverse as his second release imo.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    (A Love Supreme)
    E. Jones/J. Garrison - Illumination
    Roy Haynes - Out of the Afternoon
    C. Mingus - Black Saint & the Sinner Lady
    P. Sanders - Summun Bukmun Umyun
    A. Coltrane - Ptah the el Daoud

(other mentions)
    The New New Chico Hamilton Quintet - Passin' Thru
    Mingus Plays Piano
    Blues & the Abstract Truth
    A. Jamal - Tranquility (later ABC/Impulse. does this count?)

oh, and all things coltrane

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    a lot of my faves have been mentioned already - but this has got to be my favourite Impulse cover!

• a lot of my faves have been mentioned already - but this has got to be my favourite Impulse cover!

I think Chico has an illegitimate kid....

• Roswell Rudd-"Everywhere"

Totally underrated...Robin Kenyata plays some beautiful stuff on this record.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts