Recommend Me Some Psyche Lps

ZomBZomB 397 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Hey all this is the first thread ive started. Big Up! Im lookin for some funky psychedelic lps to get since everybody's doin reccomendation threads. Anybody got any reccomendations for me? Im not lookin for anything super infact the cheaper the better. Im feelin alot of bonzo dog atm so if any1 has any similar suggestions holler atcha boyyyy!!! If theyve got nice beats thats even better & while im here how about some good horror soundtracks too?

Comments

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    I hate u guys.

• Harvey Mandel, "Cristo redentor" is something that is psychy, with great grooves and it's not very expensive. Solid record, all instrumental.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Not funky. But starting at the beginning never hurt anyone.

available on CD and reasonable prices on 70s Capitol LP pressings.

Listen to it over and over with the lights off, then listen again. Then you will be able to properly describe to others how some other records are 'psych'.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Not funky. But starting at the beginning never hurt anyone.

available on CD and reasonable prices on 70s Capitol LP pressings.

Listen to it over and over with the lights off, then listen again. Then you will be able to properly describe to others how some other records are 'psych'.

Yeah, I second this one for sure. I dont even like Pink Floyds other albums, but this one is a beaut. Funny thing is my wife loves Pink Floyd, except for this album.

BUt yeah, Start with this.

• Not funky. Fucked-up German hippies w/ guitars and percussion. Bananas. One of my all-time favorites.

Some people can't deal w/ this record.

90s psyche.

Sorry, none of these are funky. Maybe check out this great thread too....

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=542902&Forum=All_Forums&Words=funk%2Fpsych&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=542902&Search=true#Post542902

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Is that the lp with astronomie donomie on? I know quite alot pink floyd stuff. :P Id say dark side of the moon, meddle & wish u were here are the best 3.
    Theyve done a soundtrack to a movie called 'more' & ive not heard that yet. Its pretty early floyd stuff but does any1 know if its any good?

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Thanks for the link & reccomendations so far!

Is that the lp with astronomie donomie on? I know quite alot pink floyd stuff. :P Id say dark side of the moon, meddle & wish u were here are the best 3.
    Theyve done a soundtrack to a movie called 'more' & ive not heard that yet. Its pretty early floyd stuff but does any1 know if its any good?

Don't listen to any more Floyd until you get the first LP, then get the Syd Barrett solo LPs (Barrett & The MadCap Laughs, produced by Dave Gilmour). Then go back and re-assess the later Floyd. Piper at the Gates of Dawn makes Dark Side of the Moon sound like Steely Dan. Mind you, I love both, just sayin', Psych to me is on some raw sonic shit, not just complex headphone music. Piper was a feat that Floyd never repeated, and Barrett is the key.

• Yeah, I second this one for sure. I dont even like Pink Floyds other albums, but this one is a beaut. Funny thing is my wife loves Pink Floyd, except for this album.

even meddle?

Yeah, I second this one for sure. I dont even like Pink Floyds other albums, but this one is a beaut. Funny thing is my wife loves Pink Floyd, except for this album.

even meddle?

I havent given that one a fair listen.

• that lula cortes is pretty crazy. also check his satwa album. neither psych nor funky though.

• Is that the lp with astronomie donomie on? I know quite alot pink floyd stuff. :P Id say dark side of the moon, meddle & wish u were here are the best 3.

Don't listen to any more Floyd until you get the first LP, then get the Syd Barrett solo LPs (Barrett & The MadCap Laughs, produced by Dave Gilmour). Then go back and re-assess the later Floyd. Piper at the Gates of Dawn makes Dark Side of the Moon sound like Steely Dan. Mind you, I love both, just sayin', Psych to me is on some raw sonic shit, not just complex headphone music. Piper was a feat that Floyd never repeated, and Barrett is the key.

Keep in mind that the 2nd LP, 'Saucerful of Secrets' has it's moments as well. Not much Syd, but like the 13th Floor Elevators 'Bull of the Woods' and Roky, the proceedings are seriously haunted by the recently departed madman...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    While on the topic of Psych, I've been trying to decide on if I should buy this or not. I have some of their releases so I know the quality, I'm just wondering how long the actual footage is. Anyone know anything about this?

Texas Psych Collection DVD

While on the topic of Psych, I've been trying to decide on if I should buy this or not. I have some of their releases so I know the quality, I'm just wondering how long the actual footage is. Anyone know anything about this?

Texas Psych Collection DVD

i dont think that would be a mistake to buy.

Keep in mind that the 2nd LP, 'Saucerful of Secrets' has it's moments as well. Not much Syd, but like the 13th Floor Elevators 'Bull of the Woods' and Roky, the proceedings are seriously haunted by the recently departed madman...

Yeah, I'll admit that...and bear in mind that I am in no way attempting to discredit ANY Pink Floyd, just stressing that with that first work they created something that was a sort of blueprint, the impact was pretty huge and sonically it's just much rawer than what they became known for. I think the post-Barrett Floyd was great, and they persued a much more refined, focused and sophisticated sound and visual image. My emphasis here is to start at the beginning. That's the only way you'll ever have a real understanding of the group, let alone the genre they were creating in.

One of my Faves:

• Embryo's Rache (their first) is great. Very groovy, very spacey, very earthy too.

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts

Just picked this up...a great record, but I can't find any info on it. Not sure If the artist's name is "unwritten works of geoffrey, etc." or "whistler chaucer detroit & greenhill."

• T-Bone Burnett Texas psych.....mentioned on, of all places, Gilmore Girls...

Info here....

Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit and Greenhill, 04.29.02 ...

"Oddly enough, ???WCDG??? was named in The Mojo Collection as one of the 600 best albums of the pop era. The ???band??? was five Texas teenagers, one of whom was the now-famous T-Bone Burnett. We all wrote the songs, and T-Bone produced the sessions. Even then, he was an imaginative producer, and we spent hundreds of hours decorating our tracks with plucked pianos, backwards guitar solos, accordions, sand blocks, you name it. When we had enough good songs, we called it an album and somehow got Uni Records to release it. These days, copies can be found on Internet sites that deal in ???rare vinyl,??? which I think sounds much better than ???flop records.??? One site, out of Madrid, describes the album as ???fantastico folk rock con precioso toque psycho???muy inspirado.??? Right on. Another calls it ???offbeat literary psych-pop.??? The thing sells for around $45.00. Go figure. Anyway, I???m grateful to Amy Sherman-Palladino for referencing our album in prime time and making me an (almost) cool dad for a few minutes. >>

Thanks,

David Bullock

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts
    T-Bone Burnett Texas psych.....mentioned on, of all places, Gilmore Girls...

Hahaha...surprised I didn't catch that, seeing as my girl forces me to watch Gilmore Girls. Thanks for the info.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    co-sign on Floyd, one of the best albums ever.

here's some i really like