Miyazaki Month on TCM

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Sorry, I should have posted this last week since the month is now half done but better late than never:http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=114169&mainArticleId=114160My wife has seen all of his films; I've seen about half but had never seen "Nausicaa" before. So

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    watched Nausicaa tonight with some friends.

huge miyazaki...and anime in general...fan sinec My Neighbor Totoro.

although really miyazaki is pretty

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    And they even had the subtitled version, not the dubbed. TCM is

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Word. Fuck a wack dub.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    Miyazaki and takahata have dropped masterpieces of animation, still number one to me.
    It's sad that there still no release of ghibli studio out here, hard to find DVD's impossible to find a cinema that play them.

Fuck disney, heil ghibli

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Word. Fuck a wack dub.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I see they're finally releasing a nice double disc dvd of Totoro in february or march this year. Saw that and Porco Rosso at a double screening years and years ago and was instantly hooked on his style.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Can i get the ss take on Ghost in the shell tv series, please?

Hot or not?

Word. Fuck a wack dub.

ehhh..when it comes to anime im all about subtitles, mostly because anime series tend to use the same 5 voice actors over and over and the dialogue gets horribly re-written to fit in the talking space. even bigger shows are like this, however just about all the studio ghibli stuff has some reeeally well-done dubs, i gotta admit.

like, tolerable.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Word. Fuck a wack dub.

ehhh..when it comes to anime im all about subtitles, mostly because anime series tend to use the same 5 voice actors over and over and the dialogue gets horribly re-written to fit in the talking space. even bigger shows are like this, however just about all the studio ghibli stuff has some reeeally well-done dubs, i gotta admit.

like, tolerable.

The only dub that's really stood out for me was Cowboy Bebop. I actually prefer the english dub to the sub on this one, but I guess it's all about Jet.

Word. Fuck a wack dub.

like, tolerable.

The only dub that's really stood out for me was Cowboy Bebop. I actually prefer the english dub to the sub on this one, but I guess it's all about Jet.

haha, funny you say that, that was gonna be my ONE example of a series that actually got a pretty decent dub.

also strange, thats one of the only shows i actually prefer watching dubbed (maybe because, other than the tremendous animation, it seems so american to begin with?)

Ghibli's dubbing is superior to most because Miyazaki really wants English-speaking audiences to get his films. The TCM series includes interviews with Pixar's John Lassiter and he mentioned that Pixar helped Miyazaki do dubbing with the last two or three films so it makes sense that the dubbing would be superior. That said, ESPECIALLY with Miyazaki's films, which depend heavily on uniquely Japanese cultural themes and histories, I think dubbing does it a disservice. But hey, I feel that way about dubbing in almost every situation. Americans need to buck the fuck up, get over their monolingual aversion to subtitles. The rest of the world can deal with it; we can too.

I also agree that Cowboy Bebop's dubbing wasn't so bad.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC...all things considered, it's not that bad though these self-contained half-hour episodes sometimes feel a bit too canned for me. Bottomline: they're not fucking with the first two films.

• My brother has a collection on DVD I think they are copies, but they do come in a nice little set enabling me to see most of the Studio Ghibli films. It has My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave Of The Fireflies, Princess Mononoke and some others but I am struggling to remember them as I don't have the set with me. All the original versions too no dubbing (Although the Diseny dubs are always pretty tasteful). Subtitles can be a little crazy fast sometimes though. Pretty good quality set. My faves are Spirted Away and My Neighbour Totoro.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    ESPECIALLY with Miyazaki's films, which depend heavily on uniquely Japanese cultural themes and histories, I think dubbing does it a disservice. But hey, I feel that way about dubbing in almost every situation. Americans need to buck the fuck up, get over their monolingual aversion to subtitles. The rest of the world can deal with it; we can too.

So true Oliver! I always watch Miyazaki's films in Japanese. This is the joint you folls need to watch.....

Kariosutoro no shiro - "Castle of Cagliostro." 1979 Miyazaki directed Lupin III movie. DOPE movie with a nice soundtrack. Available on DVD in the U.S. with both Japanese and English audio.

• Americans need to buck the fuck up, get over their monolingual aversion to subtitles. The rest of the world can deal with it; we can too.

You need to chill out and remember that most of these film are for KIDS, many who are not up to those reading levels, nor can they read that fast. On the dvds you have the option to watch in the original language with subtitles or watch the dubbed versions, don't get you're panties in a bunch. In regards to missing cultural nuances, you'd miss them anyways, dubbed or subtitled, if you don't know about Japanese culture in general.

As for those who trash Disney, if it wasn't for them, these Studio Ghibli dvds wouldn't be in the market in America.

I celebrate Miyazaki's entire catalouge!!!!

Americans need to buck the fuck up, get over their monolingual aversion to subtitles. The rest of the world can deal with it; we can too.

You need to chill out and remember that most of these film are for KIDS, many who are not up to those reading levels, nor can they read that fast. On the dvds you have the option to watch in the original language with subtitles or watch the dubbed versions, don't get you're panties in a bunch. In regards to missing cultural nuances, you'd miss them anyways, dubbed or subtitled, if you don't know about Japanese culture in general.

As for those who trash Disney, if it wasn't for them, these Studio Ghibli dvds wouldn't be in the market in America.

I celebrate Miyazaki's entire catalouge!!!!

Kids in other countries can read subtitles too. Why do American kids get a break for being lazy?

And I think most would question whether or not Miyazaki's films are made for kids. Maybe "My Neighbor Totoro" but compared to Disney's kids films, Ghibli Studios turns out movies that are far more sophisticated - and appealing - to people of all ages. It's easy to see how Pixar has adapted that frame of mind in ways that Disney has had more trouble with.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I have these. They're bootlegs. Bought em in HK in 2000 before any of the Ghibli stuff was released on DVD here in the states.

Now that we have an all region dvd player, we're trying to buy the Japanese domestic version of all his movies.

TAKAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Kids in other countries can read subtitles

even the ones who can't read (well) yet?