Will you eat food past it's expiration date?

2»

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    No mold. No smell. I'll probably eat it...

yessireeebob

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    an old roommate of mine made a casserole that asked for breadcrumbs and sesame seeds to be sprinkled on top. it was a bit of a tree-hugger household, so lots of dry goods were bought in bulk and kept in jars. I'm not sure how they made it through the heat, but when she checked on the dish, the topping was moving! it was revolting, those little larva fuckers were squirming around the breadcrumbs and seeds. best part: she scooped off the top, stuck it back in the oven and ate the rest!

she did throw away the jar of breadcrumbs they were living in though.

OH MY DEAR GOD!
    I'm never eating again.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, I've had a hard time getting that one outta my head today.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    yeah, I've had a hard time getting that one outta my head today.

i can't believe i read that shit again....OH HELL NO.....

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'm scared of bugs too. So, that story was a combination of my two worst fears: Expried food, and moving things that are small and can get into my clothes and when you try to get them off you, you just squish them to you and then there's that nasty goo and there's still a couple more that are alive but you don't want to repeat the same mistake so you try to shake it off but then you bump into the girl you're trying to mack on and this makes you made because you look like a pussy and you hurt her so she calls her ex-boyfriend to come pick her but she picked you up so now you're stuck outside her apartment with bugs on your shirt, no butt dawg, and the busses stopped running.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm scared of bugs too. So, that story was a combination of my two worst fears: Expried food, and moving things that are small and can get into my clothes and when you try to get them off you, you just squish them to you and then there's that nasty goo and there's still a couple more that are alive but you don't want to repeat the same mistake so you try to shake it off but then you bump into the girl you're trying to mack on and this makes you made because you look like a pussy and you hurt her so she calls her ex-boyfriend to come pick her but she picked you up so now you're stuck outside her apartment with bugs on your shirt, no butt dawg, and the busses stopped running.

GET THEM OFF ME?!#K!JL#LJK!@!

OK, I need to do something. It's friday. I'm going to go make a sandwhich...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I don't fuck with food past the date. I remember one time I ate a hot pocket from a convenience store (don't do it) on my way to work (at UPS) as an undergraduate. Later that day, I had the shits like nobody's business. I had to go to the emergency room after shittin' so many times. The diarrhea was so bad the shit was "wishhhhhhin'" out my ass like a waterfall. Oddly enough, the doctor didn't find anything, so I guess I "flushed" the little microbe bugger out of my system. That taught me right there, since that hot pocket was probably past the date.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    best part: she scooped off the top, stuck it back in the oven and ate the rest!

I would proably have done the same. Extreme heat or cold kills most germs instantly. I don't have the statistics, but over time you end up eating like a pound of bugs or something because they get into food, etc. They're just protein like eating any other type of meat.

I don't like the thought of maggots running through rotting meat though.

best part: she scooped off the top, stuck it back in the oven and ate the rest!
    I would proably have done the same. Extreme heat or cold kills most germs instantly.
    I thought the bread was already in the oven though?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    You people with "oh, it smells bad" shit are pussies. I have no sense of smell, how about that?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I am real paranoid. I have drank rotten milk many times by mistake. Sometimes I won't touch dairy two days before the expiration. Shit scares me. I constantly worry about this.

Why? Milk is one thing where you can easily tell if it's bad. The date is irrelevant. If it smells or tastes funny it's bad. If it doesn't, it's not. Simple.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    an old roommate of mine made a casserole that asked for breadcrumbs and sesame seeds to be sprinkled on top. it was a bit of a tree-hugger household, so lots of dry goods were bought in bulk and kept in jars. I'm not sure how they made it through the heat, but when she checked on the dish, the topping was moving! it was revolting, those little larva fuckers were squirming around the breadcrumbs and seeds. best part: she scooped off the top, stuck it back in the oven and ate the rest!

she did throw away the jar of breadcrumbs they were living in though.

OH MY DEAR GOD!
    I'm never eating again.

Don't be crybabies. If you've ever lived in the south any type of dry grain type food will get them... I forget what you call them. They're some sort of larva and they hunt out those types of foods. Like you'll be pouring grits and there will be little worms and worm web stuff in it. Or, I've had them in boxes of spaghetti. Kinda gross but you just pitch it out. The easiest way around this is to put stuff like that in plastic containers. Plastic bags don't always do the trick, I think they can get through thin stuff like that.