Will you eat food past it's expiration date?

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I don't even know what yawl folls are talking about lately, but I'm back to ask the hard hitting questions!I will... sometimes. If it does not smell.peace, crink...

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea. sure!

if it doesn't smell bad...

• No mold. No smell. I'll probably eat it...

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    No mold. No smell. I'll probably eat it...

I've picked the mold off of bread and then made a sandwich before.....but that was when I was in college and poor as hell.....

• Never, I've had food poisoning really bad a few times...So now I'm extra carefull about that shit...

• Never, I've had food poisoning really bad a few times...So now I'm extra carefull about that shit...

What did you eat? All I gotta say is, WATCH OUT FOR DAY OLD BERYANI. I thought I was going to die, for real.

But once I ate a fat piece of apricot pie, then when going to cut another slice, noticed that there was green fuzz in numerous areas. But I'm still here :::knock on wood:::

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    NEVER THAT SON!!!!!!!! I try to eat lots of non processed foods and buy everything FRESH. I live above a huge Japanese grocery store and get food daily.
    I buy meat, fish and vegetables right before I'm going to cook them and make sure the meat and fish were cut and packed that day. I will NEVER eat any packaged foods past the expiration date. As soon as it hits that date, in the trash it goes.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I bought it. Looks good, smells edible, I'm there. Feel free to ponder on that for a moment.

What did you eat?

Ohhh it was cheese one time,bad sausage at school another(half the school was off!!!),but the worst was a bad takeaway in Manchester, was the illest I have ever been! Felt like my stomach was trying to climb out of my mouth for twelve hours followed by being so weak I couldn't stand up for three days...

• Man, my lady friend throws out food so fast, I just don't even fight it any more. I just try to take it with my lunch... two hours past the sell by, and that shit better be gone. Its wild...she would've starved at my house in college.

Probably why i wasn't engaged in college, then...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    NEVER.

I am real paranoid. I have drank rotten milk many times by mistake. Sometimes I won't touch dairy two days before the expiration. Shit scares me. I constantly worry about this.

Now I'm all worried about some shit I ate two hours ago. WHY DID YOU MAKE THIS THREAD?!?!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

"We Eat Fish, Toss Salads, and Make Rap Ballads"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    hell naw.

i remember back when i was in 3rd grade one of my classmates gave me his hostess cupcake (chocolate w/ the white swirl) i knew it was shady cause he wasnt the nicest kid. im not sure if i noticed the mold or not but i started mowing that thing. i threw that cupcake down and ran out the classroom to the bubbler. i didnt puke, but it affected me for life. i no longer indulge in those naSTY ass cakes or eat anything past the exp date.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Never, I've had food poisoning really bad a few times...So now I'm extra carefull about that shit...

What did you eat?

Ohhh it was cheese one time,bad sausage at school another(half the school was off!!!),but the worst was a bad takeaway in Manchester, was the illest I have ever been! Felt like my stomach was trying to climb out of my mouth for twelve hours followed by being so weak I couldn't stand up for three days...

yeah, I've had food poisoning twice. once from a restraunt & once when a refridgerator broke. Definitely one of the worst sicknesses I've had.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    One of the few things I was blessed with in life was the ultimate digestive system. Mean's i can eat dodgy food with little payback.

I'll happily eat pretty much anything that's out of date apart from chicken.

• One of the few things I was blessed with in life was the ultimate digestive system. Mean's i can eat dodgy food with little payback.

You sound like my old flatmate, would trawl through the fridge and eat anything out of date, he would just microwave it first saying "Aw, that will kill anything wrong with it !" Funny thing though, he used to get the worst gas ever, go figure...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    One of the few things I was blessed with in life was the ultimate digestive system. Mean's i can eat dodgy food with little payback.

Funny thing though, he used to get the worst gas ever, go figure...

• I might eat it after close scrutiny, but MILK... NEVER!

I SIMPLY WON'T. NEVER!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I don't even know what yawl folls are talking about lately, but I'm back to ask the hard hitting questions!

I will... sometimes. If it does not smell.

peace, crink...

I do all the time. I eat food that sits out all night. Chicken, fish, whatever. I never get sick. Its fine. Americans are pussies when it come to food past its exp date. Eat that shit.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Can't do it. Even with the smell and mold test, my stomach just can't handle it. Shit is weak, so I just stick to non-expired food.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    aren't expiration dates actually just artificial time indicators, meant to safeguard the manufacturer and retailer from liability, by indicating a "safe" margin of expiration?

I mean, food does not go bad from one day to the next - it's in a constant process of degeneration. The day a piece of fruit is picked, or a gallon of milk is bottled, it actually starts rotting.

With this in mind, I wager you could safely eat most food past the expiration date.

I've actually had food go bad before the expiration date, so the date is merely a rule of thumb, at best.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Travelling you learn alot about the real conservation of foods

Stuff like non refrigerated keeping of food can be ok. And anything well cooked will be ok

Chicken in Peru was this steez

Eating with families and a lot of backpacking and trekking has taught me not to be a lil bitch about food, China-Peru-Senegal street foods has trained me and my stomach.

A lot is mental and people that throw out shit super fast should reconsider.
    To each his own though

• i remember back when i was in 3rd grade one of my classmates gave me his hostess cupcake (chocolate w/ the white swirl) i knew it was shady cause he wasnt the nicest kid. im not sure if i noticed the mold or not but i started mowing that thing. i threw that cupcake down and ran out the classroom to the bubbler. i didnt puke, but it affected me for life. i no longer indulge in those naSTY ass cakes or eat anything past the exp date.

i kinda wish this had happened to me at some point... i gets busy on snack cakes... they taste fake, and they make me feel bad, but i'll still eat the whole box... cupcakes, twinkies, swiss rolls, zebra cakes, any of that shit

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    an old roommate of mine made a casserole that asked for breadcrumbs and sesame seeds to be sprinkled on top. it was a bit of a tree-hugger household, so lots of dry goods were bought in bulk and kept in jars. I'm not sure how they made it through the heat, but when she checked on the dish, the topping was moving! it was revolting, those little larva fuckers were squirming around the breadcrumbs and seeds. best part: she scooped off the top, stuck it back in the oven and ate the rest!

she did throw away the jar of breadcrumbs they were living in though.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    an old roommate of mine made a casserole that asked for breadcrumbs and sesame seeds to be sprinkled on top. it was a bit of a tree-hugger household, so lots of dry goods were bought in bulk and kept in jars. I'm not sure how they made it through the heat, but when she checked on the dish, the topping was moving! it was revolting, those little larva fuckers were squirming around the breadcrumbs and seeds. best part: she scooped off the top, stuck it back in the oven and ate the rest!

OH MY DEAR GOD!

• autezautez 404 Posts
    anyone know if eggs go bad? what about bacon? my roomate keeps trying to tell me they dont go bad if you keep em in the fridge. also we had a pack of corn tortillas in fridge for like 1-2 months after the expiration and we snacked on that.

• anyone know if eggs go bad? what about bacon? my roomate keeps trying to tell me they dont go bad if you keep em in the fridge. also we had a pack of corn tortillas in fridge for like 1-2 months after the expiration and we snacked on that.

Both go bad, but it takes a while.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    anyone know if eggs go bad? what about bacon? my roomate keeps trying to tell me they dont go bad if you keep em in the fridge. also we had a pack of corn tortillas in fridge for like 1-2 months after the expiration and we snacked on that.

Both go bad, but it takes a while.

There are expiration dates printed on egg cartons and bacon packages. Just read the dates folls!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    another thing is that i do not like eating at other peoples houses. especially dairy and refridgeratable stuff.

dont know why.

OH MY DEAR GOD!
    I'm never eating again.