Flex v. Spinbad

2»

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I won't front on Flex's early '90s singles on Wreck/Nervous.

"Six Million Ways To Die"
    "9MM Goes Bang"

he did a hot97 dancehall blend type of 12" where he sampled some of mr. dibb's cuts off of "tape, skills and techniques" and fronted like they were his.

extra gasface bowel nose vapors.

• Options
    Flex opening for KRS-One at Tramps back in maybe '97 was one of the best live dj sets I've ever seen, had Ed Lover just handing him records from crates and he was absolutely destroying it with whatever he gave him. I've been listening to Flex for YEARS, back when Ayres mentioned that he started out when they would play house music after him. He's had some classic shows and is still good to listen to, and still kills it if you catch him on a good night. Shit, he destroyed it on Christmas Eve night, just playing all old stuff from any genre.

Overall though, Spinbad's definitely a better dj, but I don't care I'd still rather listen to Flex clown on his interns. One of the best things about listening to Stretch and Bobbito was them clowning each other with Lord Sear up there, so don't even start about radio personality vs/ dj skills. It's whatever your in the mood for that day in my opinion.

maybe wendy williams needs to come out with a mixtape.

I think she did already.

• another thing to consider is that Funkmaster Flex came on Hot 97 before the idea of an all Hip-Hop radio station existed, and was so popular (#1 radio show in his time slot within months) that the entire station converted to the format HE brought. he was then syndicated, and stations all over the country followed suit, becoming hip-hop stations instead of just "urban" R&B stations or whatever. ironically part of his popularity came from scratching, rocking doubles, and playing "real schitt" like Wu, Mobb Deep, Nas, Nine and all that. 105.1 is a Hot 97 copycat station. Their only innovation was inserting a "throwback joint" in the playlist every 3 or 4 songs (something which Flex was doing 10 years earlier anyway, mixing old school joints in his sets). So arguably there wouldn't be a Spinbad on the radio without what Funkmaster Flex doing what he did. and like Jonny said, Flex is not a terrible dj, he just sounds like what he is, someone who learned how to dj in the early 80s and stopped progressing in the mid 90s. he can cut and rock doubles and does sometimes, he's just lazy.

what about the wakeup show? I mean, those guys really took it to the next level. And yes, Flex was dope and I remember rocking that first 'mixtape' album on Loud alot - that really catapulted the whole mixtape-as-album onto a national level which was hella fresh.

But dissing the aknowledged creator of the transformer scratch?

even if it was about radio presence.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    One of the best things about listening to Stretch and Bobbito was them clowning each other with Lord Sear up there

yo.

i think sear is in a heating/clowning slump or something. today on sirius i heard this country ass dude call up and serve his monkey ass good...i was getting all amped to hear sear tear him up (pause) and all he did was just go, "man...rude just gets all of his buddies from myspace to clown me. whatever."

it's some sad shit when rude jude has more heat for fools than sear.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

wrong spinbad.

• Flex opening for KRS-One at Tramps back in maybe '97 was one of the best live dj sets I've ever seen, had Ed Lover just handing him records from crates and he was absolutely destroying it with whatever he gave him. I've been listening to Flex for YEARS, back when Ayres mentioned that he started out when they would play house music after him. He's had some classic shows and is still good to listen to, and still kills it if you catch him on a good night. Shit, he destroyed it on Christmas Eve night, just playing all old stuff from any genre.

Overall though, Spinbad's definitely a better dj, but I don't care I'd still rather listen to Flex clown on his interns. One of the best things about listening to Stretch and Bobbito was them clowning each other with Lord Sear up there, so don't even start about radio personality vs/ dj skills. It's whatever your in the mood for that day in my opinion.

maybe wendy williams needs to come out with a mixtape.

I think she did already.

I threw that show at Tramps actually and just tonight I was remarking to the great J.Paychexx how fresh his set was, especially the hot music doubles. Anyone who ever went to Mecca and saw the man Flex hold down the party would bow down and pay homage to dude. The man heeld down that huge room like he OWNED it (which he might as well have). Homey played whatever the rock he felt like and got a room full of hustlers, murderers and just plain average get-my-party on folls straight crunk and plus dude was C.Chillout's cratedude and made a classic twelve inch with Deuces Wild. Spinbad is a great DJ and all, but Flex at his best is THATDUDE.

• But dissing the aknowledged creator of the transformer scratch?

wrong spinbad.

There's two of them? (not that I'm surprise, or have listened to the radio outside of NPR for the last 5 years)

Here's a vs:

Red Alert vs. Flex - who would win?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Here's a vs:

I dunno who would win, but while I did enjoy Flex's show back in the day, I enjoyed Red Alert's show more, so my vote is for Red.

• the flex of old and the flex of today aren't the "same" dudes,

I heard flex got "breaks" like some seriousness...12'' disco like crazy

• Here's a vs:

I dunno who would win, but while I did enjoy Flex's show back in the day, I enjoyed Red Alert's show more, so my vote is for Red.

Red Alert is the greatest mixshow dj of all time period. It's no exaggeration to say he IS hiphop. Birthed mad artists, broke udd udd records, used to smash the doubles of rnb joints, and had THE sickest drops. I still bump an old Red Alert show practically every day. Yeeeyeeeeeah...beleedat!

Also gotta give props to the "Fox who rocks the box" and Prince Messiah Rest In Power

some of us didn't learn about rap from the internet. If you think I'm talking about you, then I am.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

wrong spinbad.

There's two of them? (not that I'm surprise, or have listened to the radio outside of NPR for the last 5 years)

The Spinbad on 105 is the dude that did the Rock the Casbah mixes, he's from Queens. The Spinbad that created the transformer scratch is from Philly.

• But dissing the aknowledged creator of the transformer scratch?

wrong spinbad.

The Spinbad on 105 is the dude that did the Rock the Casbah mixes, he's from Queens. The Spinbad that created the transformer scratch is from Philly.

Good thing there's only one Ayres, right?

• the flex of old and the flex of today aren't the "same" dudes,

I heard flex got "breaks" like some seriousness...12'' disco like crazy

Dog it is absolutely the same dude, I mean no disrespect but it's a little for you guys to make these pronouncements when all yall get is the car show dvd and lugz ads.

Like always, I put on Flex on the ride home last night (who the fuck even listens to 105?) and dude was burning a sick fucking HOUSE record (some flip of "Love Is The Message") for the entire drive. Dude would pull it back, stop, drop a bomb or two, get on the mic and be like "yo... I've been sneaking in clubs recently... undercover... just to see what's HOT... and this record... is KILLING the clubs right now" and then drop the record again. I'm saying, when does Spinbad go left with it like that? When does any DJ (outside of NYC)? I listen to the dude pretty much every day and sure, there are times when he gets lazy and does bad doubles of Jeezy or drops R&B weakness but at least half the time he is dropping anything from classic breaks, to house, disco, old school hip-hop, and he will drop knowledge as well. I remember in the middle of a break set he stopped the music to explain exactly what the break was (repleat with "Mardi Gras" demonstration), and started naming park jams and DJs off the top of his head. Then he played breaks that were associated with those DJs. This wasn't 5 years ago this was 3 months ago. Yall need to "show him some respect" because he is still doing the same things that made him famous.

Obviously Spinbad is the better technical DJ, but Spinbad doesn't rock the party, he doesn't break records, he rarely plays outside of his format (hiphop&rnb)... This dis record won't mean shit except for the internet and other DJs who rate technique over all of the above.

Dissing dude for carrying Chuck Chillout's crates = playing yourself.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Obviously Spinbad is the better technical DJ, but Spinbad doesn't rock the party, he doesn't break records, he rarely plays outside of his format (hiphop&rnb)... This dis record won't mean shit except for the internet and other DJs who rate technique over all of the above.

Flex & Spinbad = Apples & Oranges? Just sayin....each master of their own craft, aren't they? But I always thought that the spinbad who did the 80's megamixes was the same dude as the one who invented the transformer scratch? there are two spinbads? which one was mobys dj then btw?

• Obviously Spinbad is the better technical DJ, but Spinbad doesn't rock the party, he doesn't break records, he rarely plays outside of his format (hiphop&rnb)... This dis record won't mean shit except for the internet and other DJs who rate technique over all of the above.

Flex & Spinbad = Apples & Oranges? Just sayin....each master of their own craft, aren't they? But I always thought that the spinbad who did the 80's megamixes was the same dude as the one who invented the transformer scratch? there are two spinbads? which one was mobys dj then btw?

yes 2 spinbads, and agreed that they're apples and oranges.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    there are two spinbads? which one was mobys dj then btw?

that was Spinbad from NY, who is on Power 105 dissing Funkmaster Flex

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    (who the fuck even listens to 105?)

The older ladies at my office...

• Spinbad.

(big punisher killed it on that first Flex CD Album thing..or was that the second one?)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    thanks for that info...so I was always confused about this all those years

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    (who the fuck even listens to 105?)

i do when they are playing commercials on Hot 97. but it's one of those things where you don't like a song on Hot 97 and you switch over to Power 105 and they are literally playing the same song at the same time.

• (who the fuck even listens to 105?)

i do when they are playing commercials on Hot 97.

Word, I listen for a prolonged period when Star & Bucwild is on, but other than that...

• Like always, I put on Flex on the ride home last night (who the fuck even listens to 105?) and dude was burning a sick fucking HOUSE record (some flip of "Love Is The Message") for the entire drive. Dude would pull it back, stop, drop a bomb or two, get on the mic and be like "yo... I've been sneaking in clubs recently... undercover... just to see what's HOT... and this record... is KILLING the clubs right now" and then drop the record again.

do you remember what song this was? i havent heard flex play it yet.

this entire flex vs spinbad arguement is a non-issue. flex is a NYC institution, and i doubt anyone will ever best - or even match - the same feeling of premiering a song with the bomb drops, bringing people up for interviews and freestyles, etc etc as flex has done for more than a decade.

although i give spinbad a lot of props for doing a DJ mixshow on top 40 radio (scratching/remixing pop hits), as a radio PERSONALITY, he doesnt even come close to flex.

• Like always, I put on Flex on the ride home last night (who the fuck even listens to 105?) and dude was burning a sick fucking HOUSE record (some flip of "Love Is The Message") for the entire drive. Dude would pull it back, stop, drop a bomb or two, get on the mic and be like "yo... I've been sneaking in clubs recently... undercover... just to see what's HOT... and this record... is KILLING the clubs right now" and then drop the record again.

do you remember what song this was? i havent heard flex play it yet.

He never gave a name... nice deep house sounding flip of "Love Is The Message" with a chop of the horn breakdown floating over the basic break.

• Options

Like always, I put on Flex on the ride home last night (who the fuck even listens to 105?) and dude was burning a sick fucking HOUSE record (some flip of "Love Is The Message") for the entire drive. Dude would pull it back, stop, drop a bomb or two, get on the mic and be like "yo... I've been sneaking in clubs recently... undercover... just to see what's HOT... and this record... is KILLING the clubs right now" and then drop the record again.

That's funny, a few weeks ago I turned it on and he played about a half hour straight of house music. Then I heard one of the other guys, either Enuff or Cypha do the same thing a few days later.

I was thinking today about the parts of Flex's show that I heard on Christmas Eve, dude dropped Smooth da Hustler's "Broken Language" talking about how raw it was playing that in the Tunnel, did the Peter Piper routine that I think Roc Raida started where he pulls back the cuts and fast forwards to "there it is", and dropped a classic dancehall set like I haven't heard on radio in a looooong time, then turned around and killed it with classic house too, cutting them up. That show was no joke, and he was talking like he does that every year on Xmas Eve. Next year I'll have the recorder ready.

which one was mobys dj then btw?

The one who just dissed Flex. I saw him on that tour (relaaaax, my ex-girl worked for Moby's management) and met him in Acapulco, he was cool as hell and killed it live on stage when he did his quick cut-up segment.

• my brother used to work w/ someone who grew up w/ flex. apparently, he was the smelly kid who didn't shower and that's how he got his nickname: the funkmaster. because he smelled so damn funky.

• they can argue all they like.

both are dope in their own ways.

coldcutz remixes is just plain dope.

whta would people say is flex`s best mixtape?