Haciendo Punto con Otro Son

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
just helped a friend transfer this to CD last night:and it is FIRE!carry on.

Comments

• you like this stuff? Its PR folk troubador(sp?) music?!

• you like this stuff? Its PR folk troubador(sp?) music?!

Well, until last night, I'd never (consiously) listened to Puerto Rican folk music, but this was a childhood fave of a buddy of mine, and he couldn't find it anywhere on CD, and the only one he found on ebay was a vinyl. So we had a listening/transfer party last night, and I was really digging it. It's actually pretty damn funky in a lot of parts...there's lots of synths in it too though

• That album must be different than their more traditional stuff. I know they tried to incorporate new sounds of the times (70s) when they recorded, but i have never heard them sound funky. I'll be on the lookout though!

• That album must be different than their more traditional stuff. I know they tried to incorporate new sounds of the times (70s) when they recorded, but i have never heard them sound funky. I'll be on the lookout though!

yeah, there was no date on the label, but we deduced it was from '79 cause that's the date on the painting in the cover art - and don't get me wrong, it's still very folky, but there are parts where you hear that 70's funk rock sound sneaking in

• If its the same album its been released on cd. You can buy it here

Never mind, I forgot you already ripped it!

• If its the same album its been released on cd. You can buy it here

Never mind, I forgot you already ripped it!

yup, that's it.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    speakin of Puerto Rican music, just got Night Walkers - El Gordo. some downright funky shit on there.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    and to carry on with the boricua thread: I just got EL GRAN COMBO "De punta a punta".

Garcia Vega: que sabes de este calor?

• speakin of Puerto Rican music, just got Night Walkers - El Gordo. some downright funky shit on there.

A fourth Night Walkers album?!?!?!? Have never heard of this one, please to post picture. What label?

Jorge! De Punta a Punta is classic Gran Combo material with Andy Montanez at his finest. Released in 1970-1, Gran Combo was way famous and packing them in at La Concha Hotel. I met Andy a few years ago at the Caribe Hilton drinking pina coladas by the pool, very nice dude. I was going to bring by my copy of Meneame los Mangos for him to sign, but good thing I didn't because he wasn't in the band at that time!