Damon vs. D.R. Hooker

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Who would win in a "christ"-off fuzz battle?Thoughts?These two albums are kinda similar. Any other stuff in this mellow steez?

Comments

• I don't believe Damon is Christian. I think that the Damon record is more consistent end to end but D.R. Hooker has some serious moments as well. If they were both in front of me for the same price I'd buy Damon. I'd buy Etcetera before either though. Did you check out Moon Blood?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Agape

• How is Agape? Local dealer has sealed copy that came from bass player but the price is hefty. Back says there is rhodes, fuzz, etc. looks dope, anyone can shed some light?
    thanks in advance.

• This place, Third Coast Sound Distortions, is pretty much the most outlandish psych list I've ever seen. Your wantlist will be bursting at the seams. He sold the Cold Sun acetate, plus he's had copies of just about every other psych grail
    imaginable. Super small type, and I've never personally ordered from it but here it is.

http://www.raw-tcsd.com/

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    How is Agape? Local dealer has sealed copy that came from bass player but the price is hefty. Back says there is rhodes, fuzz, etc. looks dope, anyone can shed some light?
    thanks in advance.

I heard a hacked up copy once - there was one track that was pretty cool about armageddon, but the rest of it seemed 70's biker-rock-ish.

• Bizarre -- Just listened to both albums this afternoon. As an end to end listen I prefer the Damon - tho my favourite moments are with D.R. Hooker - if it came down to a fuzz battle Hooker would win as you can't really mess with 'I'm Leaving You'.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Damon.

Dark.

Azitis will out-Christ all x-ian psych records and melt away most non-Christ psych records with its radiation.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Azitis

Siq wit it.

• Anyone heard Tarkus? The SA group, obviously, not the ELP record.

I like Dug Dugs.

• SA holy grail that, when turns up, turns up tattered usually.
    Limited press even in Peru. Trio psych amsterpiece, good record but not 3Gs good IMO. Then again I lean towards Virgen by Traffic Sound from my people anyways.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    How is Agape?
    I personally think it is one of the stronger Christian Psych records out there. More than a couple good songs on it as well. I recommended it in the last DR Hooker musings thread to little notice. I heard the band has copies for some astronomical price, so it could be excessively priced at that spot. If it's around or less than 100, I would grab it. It pops up on ebay from time to time and people seem to sleep on it.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    If they were both in front of me for the same price my head would explode[/b]

• Do you have any of the Chilean ones? Aguaturbia has two plus the one under the other name, and Xingu is good but its not psych. Beyond that, I can't recall ever seeing other Chilean stuff, but I'm far from an expert as far as this stuff goes. I just really enjoy everything I've heard so far psych-wise from SA.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Tarkus is fuggin heavy muddy music. It was reissued a while back by that guy Geore Incarock or whatever. Not worth 1000s, but I'd pay like 3 or 400 for it

• I was waiting for you to jump in on this!

SA got beautiful, musical psych that often combines folklorico melodies into the progressive western arrangements. Though not SA, Mexico is NO JOKE with the psych as well, and probably the only place where you will find private psych heat; Pegasys for instance.

As far as Peru goes I would recomend:

Tarkus, Laghonia, Traffic Sound, We All Together, Telegraph Ave... these are all names that immediately come to mind but there are many more.

speakin of Mexican... I nabbed a copy of that 39.4 recently.

and the Rab n Car 45 .... though its been in the mail for about 2 months now..... I'm biting my nails daily for it to show.

• WTF dude?!!!!!!

Share the love plaese!!!

39.4 full length or pic ep? either way i hate you brutha!

full LP.

also got another very hard funk thing

• Do you have any of the Chilean ones? Aguaturbia has two plus the one under the other name, and Xingu is good but its not psych. Beyond that, I can't recall ever seeing other Chilean stuff, but I'm far from an expert as far as this stuff goes. I just really enjoy everything I've heard so far psych-wise from SA.

Some other stuff from chile on the mellow side are : Blops,Congrecion vien, and Amerindios(IRT label)

• Is IRT the only label in Chile, or are there others? Was it state run?

Is IRT the only label in Chile, or are there others? Was it state run?

definitly not the only one, RCA was gettin busy in Chile, Philips, and plenty of other little labels like Orpal, Arena, etc.