FAME Studios, your favourites

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
FAME (Florence Alabama Musical Enterprises, Muscle Shoals, Alabama) Started by musician turned producer Rick Hall , FAME cut some of the best albums of the 1960s and 70s. At first Hall envisioned recording country songs and blues, but his first band cut out to Nashville, and he headed in another direction. Hiring Dan Penn, Spooner Oldham, and Chip Moman, they turned out plenty of hits and gained world wide recognition. The first session to put FAME on the map was Wilson Pickett's "Land of 1000 Dances," when he was brought down by Atlantic Jerry Wexler. I intend this to be somewhat of a tribute post, please contribute any knowledge you have and some of your favourite recordings, as I know I have left a lot out and that there are people on this board who know infinetly more than me about this historic place. Two of my favourite albums from this studio:Arthur Conley "Sweet Soul Music" The title track of this album was big hit for the Otis Redding protoge Conley. The whole album is really great, a standout being "I Can't Stop." Etta James "Tell Mama" Recorded with most fo the band from "Why Not Tonight" Etta came from Chi-town soon after Aretha cut "I Nevber Loved a Man". Even though Etta recorded this while on a constant nod, she sings from the gut and you can hear it.I left this pretty open, please contribute.

Comments

• Dan Penn is god (sometimes)

/L

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jimmy Hughes "Steal Away" & "Why Not Tonight" LP's

Candi Staton 1st 3 or 4 LP's

45's by Bettye Swann...

• djrdjr 511 Posts

great 45.

Also gotta throw in Candi Staton's "I'm Just a Prisoner (of Your Sweet Loving)".

• Whos got a copy of "Why not tonight" for me? I need it in my life!

cosign Candi Stanton's "I'm just a prisoner"

FAME studios brought that real...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Whos got a copy of "Why not tonight" for me? I need it in my life!

cosign Candi Stanton's "I'm just a prisoner"

FAME studios brought that real...

Have both. Can't give either up. Too good. I'll rip 'em for you, tho.

coming soon to:

• if you rip them please send me a link, I'm not a real head yet

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    if you rip them please send me a link, I'm not a real head yet

now that's just absurd.

• if you rip them please send me a link, I'm not a real head yet

now that's just absurd.

Its all about the post count?!?!?!?!?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    So this is the Fame that's on the Candi Staton LPs...I got some other joints on this label as well - some really unsuspecting joints. Mr. Hamburger knows the drill. You lucky somunabitches might hear em on the next On Crack.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Two of my fave albums from the studio (and the label!):

-Sixty Minutes With Clarence Carter
    -Travis Wammack (swamp-rocking white soul from 1972)

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    if you rip them please send me a link, I'm not a real head yet

now that's just absurd.

Its all about the post count?!?!?!?!?

It's all about logging in at the right page. Another way is My Home > Received Private Messages

Right, my fave FAME production, and last time I ever mention this LP on here evar evar

• So this is the Fame that's on the Candi Staton LPs...I got some other joints on this label as well - some really unsuspecting joints.

Speak on 'em Woimsah! FAME deserves fame!!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    When Kon puts the shit out I can reveal. As for now - I can hint and say start going through your local dollar bins and look for random records put out with a close up of a white guy with long hair.

• This one too...

• Two of my fave albums from the studio (and the label!):

-Sixty Minutes With Clarence Carter

-Travis Wammack (swamp-rocking white soul from 1972)

I missed this, great mentions pickwick and funky16! Clarence Carter and Candi Stanton were married at one point in time. He is known as a great blind guitarist.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i've got a soft spot for the Sam the Sham solo record, i think it was recorded there...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Beginnings of Fame
    In early 1958 Rick Hall & Billy Sherrill starting playing & writing together in a group called the Fairlanes. The two aspiring songwriters had been drawn to Muscle Shoals after the success of a 1957 release called "A Fallen Star", originally a demo cut by James Joiner on a singer called Bobby Denton as a demo for Joiner's new publishing company, and by the existence of Joiner's Tune Publishing Company in Florence. Hall & Sherrill would ride the bus the sixty miles up from Hamilton to play their songs for Joiner. Through Joiner, Hall & Sherrill songs were cut by the likes of Roy Orbison, Homer & Jethro & Brenda Lee. Hall & Sherrill then decided to bypass Joiner & shop the songs directly to Nashville themselves. Tom Stafford soon caught wind & lended financial support & Fame Music begun. (briefly summarised from 'Sweet Soul Music', that book rules'.

So much good stuff from there, not just Fame but that entire Muscle Shoals thing in general.