Recommend Me Some Modern Soul LP's

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Post deleted by pcmr

• Options
    A couple - Conrad Benjamin and Jay W McGee being the best. A couple worthy 12's, too. These were made in Toronto - most by Jamaican Canadians.

K.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Scorpio label from Canada has good modern soul

Funny thing was I was about to PM you Guzzo for some recomendations yesterday
    Was the Jay W. McGee LP on Scorpio. I bought one from soufriere a few months back and thought it was pretty decent. If you want some recommendations feel free to PM me anytime.

• Options
    YEp, Scorpio. Believe Sip wrote about it in an ish to if memory serves me correct.

K.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    You'd probably dig Christy Essien. African modern soul. She has 2 LPs I know of on Afrodisia. I have Give me a Chance which is really just a one tracker with Rumours, but it's a damn killer track. One Understanding is her other LP with more good tracks but it's way tougher to find.

DJ Ferrari

• Options

Geraldo Pino's band backing her up.

Ease, K.

• Batiste Brothers Band---Freeze (Dynasty)
    Blue Velvets---changes (RSC)
    Burton Inc---LA will mkae you pay $$$ (Charli Barbara)
    Caress---Caress (P+P)
    Carol Douglas---Love zone (Next Plateau)
    Chaz---Chaz (Zanzibar)
    Chee Chee and Peppy---Super you (Branding Iron)
    Contrast---Tantalize (DAS)
    Conrad Benjamin---Saturn (Nebula)
    Crack Steppin---A comic book operetta in rhythm and blues (Get Down)
    Cult---The mail must go through (Starburst Records)
    Donna McGhee---Make it last forever (Red Gregg)
    Dreamscape---5 song ep (no label)
    Evans Pyramid---(keep digging)
    Everlife---#1 (Jibaro)
    Family Circle---Family Circle (Sky Disc)
    Fats Gaines Band feat Zorina---Born to dance (Avamar)
    First Class---First Class (Sugar Hill Records)
    Flashback Band---Same (Rocker Int)
    Gary Davis and his Professor---Got to get your love (Chocolate Star Records)
    Gaston---My Queen (Hotlanta Records)
    Goldie Alexander---Fool in love (CBS)
    Greg Clayborn---The G man from me to you (Greg Clayborn)
    Heaven Sent and Ecstasy---The greatest love story (Jamieko's)
    Hollygrove---New Orleans best kept secret (Home Brew)
    Homeboy & the C.O.L.---s/t---(Alwest)
    Ike Noble---Fresh start (Connowil)
    Johnny Mayes---Just a few facts of life (Mad May)
    JPQ---Quintessence (Jam-A-Ditty)
    Lee McDonald---Sweet Magic (Debbie Records)
    Lenard Lidell---Afternoon affair (Jara)
    Larry Dixon---Cant Price Love (LAD)
    Marvin Holmes---It's about time (Brown Door Records)
    Love Pillow--- ??
    Maxx Traxx---Maxx Traxx (Pulse)
    Minority Band---(keep digging)
    Network---I need you (Rams Horn)
    OT Sykes---First love (Fun city)
    Pam Todd and Love Exchange---Let's get together (Shyrlden)
    Patterson Twins---Let me be your lover (Commercial Records)
    Peoples Pleasure with Alive and Well (Brownstone Records)
    Perfect Touch---Touching you (Perfect Touch)
    Positive Change---Positive Change (Fortress)
    Positve Express---Changin times (Victory / Sugar Hill)
    Pulse---Pulse (Olde World)
    Rivage---Sittin on it (Tempus / Sun-Glo)
    Shake---Music is the only way we can communicate (Guess)
    Spaceark---Spaceark (Color World)
    Spice---Let there be spice (TSG)
    Stage Coach---Playing games (United Sound)
    Standing Room Only---Heart and Soul (YGB)
    Starfire---Get off with us (Dynamic Artists)
    Starvue---Upward Bound (MIR)
    Stone Free feat Cecil Lyde---Same (Aladdin)
    Superior Elevation---Get it don't stop (Black Satin)
    Sylk---Sylk (Earthquake)
    Tal Armstrong---The tallest man in love (Love Records)
    Tavasco and The Millionaires (Mid South)
    Tony Aiken and Future 2000---Unity Sing It Shout It (Kimsha Records)
    Trama---Trama (TK)
    Trilark---Trilark (Handshake)

----
    many of these have been reissued, even buying the re's will break you.

• Options

You have this, Tom. I kept on selling my copy while I was turning them up ont he regular....now I haven't seen one in 2 years

Great LP, K.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Chaz---Chaz (Zanzibar)

----

I got the Space Ark out here about eight months ago for $3.99. Eeeehhh. Flipped it on the bay. Wasn't crazy about it. There is one nice joint in particular - but I don't think I'd call this a modern soul lp - it's a fusion record if anything.

The Chaz my boy just scored (and the Greg Clayborn at the same place) I think for $3.00 a pop. Already flipped em both on the bay (mainly because they're not worth keeping). The Chaz has one so so joint on it - but the Greg Clayborn is fucking awful.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Batiste Brothers Band---Freeze (Dynasty)
    Blue Velvets---changes (RSC)
    Burton Inc---LA will mkae you pay $$$ (Charli Barbara)
    Caress---Caress (P+P)
    Carol Douglas---Love zone (Next Plateau)
    Chaz---Chaz (Zanzibar)
    Chee Chee and Peppy---Super you (Branding Iron)
    Contrast---Tantalize (DAS)
    Crack Steppin---A comic book operetta in rhythm and blues (Get Down)
    Cult---The mail must go through (Starburst Records)
    Donna McGhee---Make it last forever (Red Gregg)
    Dreamscape---5 song ep (no label)
    Evans Pyramid---(keep digging)
    Everlife---#1 (Jibaro)
    Family Circle---Family Circle (Sky Disc)
    Fats Gaines Band feat Zorina---Born to dance (Avamar)
    First Class---First Class (Sugar Hill Records)
    Flashback Band---Same (Rocker Int)
    Gary Davis and his Professor---Got to get your love (Chocolate Star Records)
    Gaston---My Queen (Hotlanta Records)
    Goldie Alexander---Fool in love (CBS)
    Heaven Sent and Ecstasy---The greatest love story (Jamieko's)
    Hollygrove---New Orleans best kept secret (Home Brew)
    Homeboy & the C.O.L.---s/t---(Alwest)
    Ike Noble---Fresh start (Connowil)
    Johnny Mayes---Just a few facts of life (Mad May)
    JPQ---Quintessence (Jam-A-Ditty)
    Lee McDonald---Sweet Magic (Debbie Records)
    Lenard Lidell---Afternoon affair (Jara)
    Larry Dixon---Cant Price Love (LAD)
    Marvin Holmes---It's about time (Brown Door Records)
    Love Pillow--- ??
    Maxx Traxx---Maxx Traxx (Pulse)
    Minority Band---(keep digging)
    Network---I need you (Rams Horn)
    OT Sykes---First love (Fun city)
    Pam Todd and Love Exchange---Let's get together (Shyrlden)
    Patterson Twins---Let me be your lover (Commercial Records)
    Peoples Pleasure with Alive and Well (Brownstone Records)
    Perfect Touch---Touching you (Perfect Touch)
    Positive Change---Positive Change (Fortress)
    Positve Express---Changin times (Victory / Sugar Hill)
    Pulse---Pulse (Olde World)
    Rivage---Sittin on it (Tempus / Sun-Glo)
    Shake---Music is the only way we can communicate (Guess)
    Spice---Let there be spice (TSG)
    Stage Coach---Playing games (United Sound)
    Standing Room Only---Heart and Soul (YGB)
    Starfire---Get off with us (Dynamic Artists)
    Starvue---Upward Bound (MIR)
    Stone Free feat Cecil Lyde---Same (Aladdin)
    Superior Elevation---Get it don't stop (Black Satin)
    Sylk---Sylk (Earthquake)
    Tal Armstrong---The tallest man in love (Love Records)
    Tavasco and The Millionaires (Mid South)
    Tony Aiken and Future 2000---Unity Sing It Shout It (Kimsha Records)
    Trama---Trama (TK)
    Trilark---Trilark (Handshake)

----

now is this just a list of rare ones, or ones that you think are good. there are a couple of the more valuable ones on your list that I've heard and didn't like at all.

• Options
    Trilark is ass IMO. I erased the album off my computer.

k.

• i really need to hear the conrad benjamin thing again. it sounded like it could be great though.

this list is all across the board really, lot of 70's funk, lot of 80's boogie. there is plenty of stuff on this list that i've never heard or seen. the Stage Coach lp may very well be a flaming piece of shit. everyone i know that has it would trade or sell it for sometiing better.

i really need to hear that che che and peppy lp! anyone??

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Tom I got you. give me a call

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Ooh...You got Che Che and Peppy? Can it make an appearance plaese?... >

SG

• also pick up france joli on prelude from 82. essential dollar bin modern soul.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Ooh...You got Che Che and Peppy? Can it make an appearance plaese?... >

SG

SG, tragedy struck while I was uploading Herbie Hancock "Flood" for realheadz and my computer crashed.

no, no moder soul MP3's from Guzzo for a while

• SG, tragedy struck while I was uploading Herbie Hancock "Flood" for realheadz and my computer crashed.

no, no moder soul MP3's from Guzzo for a while

Plaese feel free to stop by and instruct me on how to use my computer in light of this tragedy.

Is this LP good? I had the opportunity to purchase this for a large-ish (but reasonable, based on raerity) amount a few months ago, but dropped loot on other LPs instead. Should I be kicking myself for passing it up?

SG

• Is this LP good? I had the opportunity to purchase this for a large-ish (but reasonable, based on raerity) amount a few months ago, but dropped loot on other LPs instead. Should I be kicking myself for passing it up?

SG

its an excellent record in my opinion if you are into the soulful side of modern soul (no synth, slapbass, handclaps, etc.) Nice mix of mid-tempo and a couple of upbeat steppers. So far it is the only record I truely regret selling. I sold this copy for $350.

Thanks for the description!

SG

• i got doubles of the touch of class sealed, in case anyone wants a crack....

i'm down for mint trades, but something goood.

• Homeboy & the C.O.L.---s/t---(Alwest)

Still, the best track isn't even on the Lp and his other lp with "i can make it on my own" on it isn't even the right version.. although this one has other highlights but nothing that even comes close to "love connection" (Alwest).

/L

• actually, HOMEBOY, is cecil lyde. and the tune you're talking bout is "i'll make it on my own" fucking killer tune. i want to hear all the versions! i know this is a MASSIVE northern/modern record on Alwest 7 under the artist name cecil lyde, but is that version any different than the one on the homeboy and col lp guzzo had in the avatar? and if it is on the other homeboy lp (with the fishnet booty) is that different as well??

anyone got that "stone free" lp?

• actually, HOMEBOY, is cecil lyde. and the tune you're talking bout is "i'll make it on my own" fucking killer tune. i want to hear all the versions! i know this is a MASSIVE northern/modern record on Alwest 7 under the artist name cecil lyde, but is that version any different than the one on the homeboy and col lp guzzo had in the avatar? and if it is on the other homeboy lp (with the fishnet booty) is that different as well??

Oh what i meant was that "i'll make it.. " is on Alwest 7" and on Cecils Alwest lp where the version is different to the single and as Homeboy i meant that his absolutely fantastic "love connection" only is on Alwest 12", great artist i must say and yes "i'll make it " is one of my favs aswell..

/L

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    actually, HOMEBOY, is cecil lyde. and the tune you're talking bout is "i'll make it on my own" fucking killer tune. i want to hear all the versions! i know this is a MASSIVE northern/modern record on Alwest 7 under the artist name cecil lyde, but is that version any different than the one on the homeboy and col lp guzzo had in the avatar? and if it is on the other homeboy lp (with the fishnet booty) is that different as well??

Oh what i meant was that "i'll make it.. " is on Alwest 7" and on Cecils Alwest lp where the version is different to the single and as Homeboy i meant that his absolutely fantastic "love connection" only is on Alwest 12", great artist i must say and yes "i'll make it " is one of my favs aswell..

/L

so how many versions are there of "I'll make it on my own"? The one onthe album I posted in realheadz is a pretty long version (6 minutes or so) I think Bruce Fisher did a version too

actually, HOMEBOY, is cecil lyde. and the tune you're talking bout is "i'll make it on my own" fucking killer tune. i want to hear all the versions! i know this is a MASSIVE northern/modern record on Alwest 7 under the artist name cecil lyde, but is that version any different than the one on the homeboy and col lp guzzo had in the avatar? and if it is on the other homeboy lp (with the fishnet booty) is that different as well??

/L

so how many versions are there of "I'll make it on my own"? The one onthe album I posted in realheadz is a pretty long version (6 minutes or so) I think Bruce Fisher did a version too

Nah, Bruce Fisher did a disco funk version of Homeboy's/Lyde's "Money's Funny" on the "Red Hot" album.

SG

• Nobody has mentioned Leroy Hutson "Closer to the Source".. best cheapie

Curtis Mayfield 80s records! "We Need Peace.." this is a modern soul remake of 'move on up'.. really great if you can stomach a bit o' sax...

/L

I've only heard album/single version and must say i preffer the 45 although it could be a little bit longer, what does the 45 command in price these days?

/L

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Side A iz

• rahni harris "s't" ?? lp with "syncopated love" on it. this whole record is pretty sick.

any DAYTON lp.