The Shield

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Bizzo's Sopranos thread reminds me that "The Shield" cranks up Season 5 tomorrow night. I'm hyped...any fans? Forrest Whitaker on there this year should be That show delivers the goods week in and week out. it doesn't let up...ever.

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I was going to post about this as well. Those ads they're running are getting my hyped for Tuesday. Forrest Whitaker is a great actor. He's suppose to be Internal Affairs looking to bust Vic. Don't know if Glenn Close is still part of the line-up, but if she's gone I'm all for it. In a show where they killed a fellow cop because he was spying on them for their captain, the captain had to give head to a criminal at gun point, etc. to have Close play the new captain who is a good cop (i.e. shows up a victim's bedside after work) who tries to do the "good thing" did not go over well with me.

• Close is gone.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Bizzo's Sopranos thread reminds me that "The Shield" cranks up Season 5 tomorrow night. I'm hyped...any fans? Forrest Whitaker on there this year should be

That show delivers the goods week in and week out. it doesn't let up...ever.

u have good taste in tv!

• I'm totally looking forward to the new season. I've been a fan of the show since...well, Season 2, really. I picked up the Season 1 DVD set about a week before Season 2 started and went on a binge watching every episode so when Season 2 started I was good to go. The Shield is easily one of my favorite shows of the past few years. The Shield is one of those "pizza" shows to me -- even when it's not great it's still pretty damn good and better than most of what's on TV.

The thing that kills me with shows on FX along with HBO is how they have such short seasons so you'll get a fix of a show for a couple months and then it's like 9 months until you get more. I've been fiending for The Shield for a while now and I'm totally fiending for season 3 of Entourage. I think they're actually starting The Shield a month or two earlier than they traditionally have in the past since my birthday's in March and it's always seemed like the show premiered around my birthday.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    6 minutes and counting...

first episode was AWESOME!!!!!

don't eat the juicy fruit!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Based on just a single episode from the new season...

Not feeling Forrest. Dude plays the same character over and over - I kept getting flashbacks to his small cameo in "The Color of Money" here.

Liked everything else. "The Shield" is easily one of my favorite tv shows (not on HBO).

Dude plays the same character over and over - I kept getting flashbacks to his small cameo in "The Color of Money" here.

in my mind forest's defining roles are:
    panic room
    blown away
    crying game
    ghost dog
    (and honorable mention for battlefield earth)

hence, i've always thought he was a very diverse actor

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude plays the same character over and over - I kept getting flashbacks to his small cameo in "The Color of Money" here.

panic room
    blown away
    crying game
    ghost dog

And dude, he plays the same character every time. This is not a bad thing; some actors can milk that one role to death and still come off fresh. Look at Denzel Washington. Or Vince Vaughn.

"suspect"

alright its too late to argue about forests career

• Dude plays the same character over and over - I kept getting flashbacks to his small cameo in "The Color of Money" here.

panic room
    blown away
    crying game
    ghost dog

Dooooood. "Smoke".

I enjoyed the episode. Like how they're now playing Billings for comic relief after Dutch punked him last season. Vic's runnin the Barn obviously. It's hilarious, Ronnie is the Strike Team guy that always gets fucked over. Dood got half his face burnt off running to Vic's house to get Vic's funking checkbook!!! There he is now, gettin' cracked in the dome w/ a big metal crucifix. I have to laugh.

I wish I could argue the point about FW but I really can't. That being said, you can see him working w/ his new role, cos the lieutenant he plays is mad quirky and kinda weird.

I think this might be the last season.

"Thief" preview looked off the chain. Hopefully a return to form for the underrated and not-used-properly Andre Braugher. Plus it's set in N.O.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

panic room
    blown away
    crying game
    ghost dog

I can't believe you're ignoring his valuable contribution to Bloodsport. His scenes with Van Damme are like watching an acting masterclass.

• "Thief" preview looked off the chain. Hopefully a return to form for the underrated and not-used-properly Andre Braugher. Plus it's set in N.O.

You know, there's very few actors that fit under this heading, but Andre Braugher is one of those actors where I'll watch pretty much everything they do because, if nothing else, his performance alone will be worth it. "Homicide" is still one of my favorite TV shows ever and the Pembleton character was amazing. Hopefully this new show can utilize Braugher's talents as well as "Homicide" did, and considering the new show looks like it might have a bit of a darker edge to it I think it might just fit Braugher very well. Frank Pembleton had to be one of the most complex TV characters ever and I'd like to see something like that again from Braugher.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

panic room
    blown away
    crying game
    ghost dog

I can't believe you're ignoring his valuable contribution to Bloodsport. His scenes with Van Damme are like watching an acting masterclass.

don't forget one of my fave movies:

as the football star whose car Spiccoli wrecks

"Dude, my Dad has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it!"

Fucking awesome. The race riots between brown and black, wow, what an apocolyptic view of LA's future. And I'm a big fan of Forrest so I'm down with his character. Vic is going down! But with a fight.

• "Thief" preview looked off the chain. Hopefully a return to form for the underrated and not-used-properly Andre Braugher. Plus it's set in N.O.

You know, there's very few actors that fit under this heading, but Andre Braugher is one of those actors where I'll watch pretty much everything they do because, if nothing else, his performance alone will be worth it. "Homicide" is still one of my favorite TV shows ever and the Pembleton character was amazing. Hopefully this new show can utilize Braugher's talents as well as "Homicide" did, and considering the new show looks like it might have a bit of a darker edge to it I think it might just fit Braugher very well. Frank Pembleton had to be one of the most complex TV characters ever and I'd like to see something like that again from Braugher.

Cosign. I've finally started my H:LOTS rewatch. I'm showing it to my wife who'd never seen the series. What a great show. Top 5 of all time.

"Thief" preview looked off the chain. Hopefully a return to form for the underrated and not-used-properly Andre Braugher. Plus it's set in N.O.

cosign.

wish i could say the same for that cube show with steve carrell - black & white

i have a feeling doomsday may reappear... dude was a badass
    what's wrong with cch pounder?
    this season is shaping up very nicely

i have a feeling doomsday may reappear... dude was a badass
    what's wrong with cch pounder?
    this season is shaping up very nicely

I would take a guess that she's got cancer or something on the show.