Adventures in Folkways-land

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I have mentioned a couple of times on this board that my university has an entire archive of the Folkways label (both hard and digital). So, to do some strutters a favour, I made a trip down there to get some copies. Little did I know that through the department of ethnomusicology, there is an entire project dedicated to the Folkways label and its preservation of world culture through sound.So, I leave you with some pictures of my journey.The journey started at this buildingOn the way I caught an unsuspecting staff member posing in front of one of their display casesA foreboding entranceYOU SHALL NOT PASSThe lobby + listening stations (where almost the entire collection is backed on hard disk).This giant-sized version of the cover was one of the first things I noticed when entringMore display casesThe entire collection10" raer Help for you completionistsOde to Asch on the wallA bit about the art exhibit on the cover-art from FolkwaysMore unsuspecting staff and graduate studentsThat's it. I hope ya'll enjoyed the tour as much as I did. I even got a nifty little book on some of the covers and the "artness" about them. If anyone really wants these books, they are $15 and I'd be more than glad to do up a trade (you can PM me for pictures of the little books).Tell your university to step up their music game.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    totally fuckin rad. I must make a trek up that way at some point. Please PM me a pic of that book, I'm very interested. Thanks for the pic-tour.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dood, that shit is fucking bonkers!... i feel like david vs. golizillla seeing that. canonical is the hommie for realls. word up in this bitch!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    SICK!!!

Nice shots and an awesome contribution.

This one:

...is going to cause a few regulars on here to faint!

• SICK!!!

This one:

IKEA is past ?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Hey, does that book have a history of the Harry Smith Anthology covers? I've come across at least 4 variations, there's the version with the text cover, then there's at least 2 variations with the picture of the dude. There's some that are box sets and some that are folders (can someone say when Folkways were in boxes and when they were in folder type covers?) For example, I have a pressing of volume 1 of the anthology with a green cover in a folder cover, but in the box version it's orange.

How many different pressings did this go through???

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Hey, does that book have a history of the Harry Smith Anthology covers? I've come across at least 4 variations, there's the version with the text cover, then there's at least 2 variations with the picture of the dude. There's some that are box sets and some that are folders (can someone say when Folkways were in boxes and when they were in folder type covers?) For example, I have a pressing of volume 1 of the anthology with a green cover in a folder cover, but in the box version it's orange.

How many different pressings did this go through???
    I believe this book is unique in that it was created to accompany the art exhibit for the Folkways covers. Here are some pics of the book:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    holy fuck, that's my jam. i need that book stat.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    what a great photo essay. many thanks.

• melted
    off
    comp
    lete
    ly

• this thread is

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    this thread is

Thanks canonical.
    That's, by far, one of the best thread I've read.
    I NEED THAT BOOK TOO.

B.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Very interesting, thanks for the pics. I'd like to see that in real life.

• wow. need to get to alberta. do you know how long they're on display for?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    SICK!!!

This one:

IKEA is past ?

How many rows of that collection is Ella Jenkins LPs? Gotta be at least 2!

Seriously Cannon, this is tops. I need one of those books! Can they be obtained from the University itself? Not trying to skirt you, but not trying to tie you down to picking up several hundred copies for all the OCD mofos on this site!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    really great thread, I love those pictures. I would spend days there listening to stuff. They have an online catalogue too with sound samples of almost everything http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/BrowseBy.aspx?BrowseBy=genre

I would love one of those books too they look

As far as I know, that "office"/exhibit will be there until the funding stops, which I can't see happening any time soon.

I will inquire about the books. However, I don't mind purchasing a few and doing some trades!

I'll let ya'll know on monday.

Unil then...

This picture, and to quote ghostface on MTV's Cribs, "brings a lot of thoughts".

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Whoa! Nice one!

• One folkways rekkid that has eluded me:

Invocations 'richard kostelanetz' folkways frs 37902 1983

This dude took recordings for six different religious masses and spliced them all together, mixing in and out of them, inna tape slicing/cut-up style ala Steve Reich (but not as aggro, more ambient sounding). Really sick rekkid if you're into that sorta thing. I also like the concept of 'mixing' religions.

Anyways big up on that photo collage and the archive, Folkways is the shiznit.

$??

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Wasn't there a thread awhile back where a bunch of strutters were basically bragging about all the records they straight-up STOLE from their respective universities?

All I can say is I hope these folks beef up their security pronto.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    When are you gonna be visiting the offices of BAD BOY entertainment?

To everyone who PM'd about the book. A deal is in the making. Final details will be dispatched tomorrow (this has to go through the machinery first).

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i now have a boner

• One folkways rekkid that has eluded me:

Invocations 'richard kostelanetz' folkways frs 37902 1983

This dude took recordings for six different religious masses and spliced them all together, mixing in and out of them, inna tape slicing/cut-up style ala Steve Reich (but not as aggro, more ambient sounding). Really sick rekkid if you're into that sorta thing. I also like the concept of 'mixing' religions.

AP tried to get me to take this record when I first met him. I said no and then my roommate spilled coffee on it. I bought more direct from the artist to replace AP's copy and to sell. That record is bad energy but it's easy enough to get. Kostelanetz has about 500 grant proposals on his site... Read enough and you will hate the art world more than you already did.

Alright, so I came through with a very nice deal for all those interested in the book. They have a whole bunch, and where very happy that many people were interested. They even dropped the price a bit for you broke dudes. So here is how it is going to work, there will be two options:

OPTION A[/b]
    Just paypal me $10US and you will get the book (shipping will be covered). PM me for my paypal address.

OPTION B - Trades[/b]
    I prefer this option. I don't have much on the want list that is that low in cost, so we could do like a little secret santa type thing where you just send me a record or two that may be interesting after I list some preferences. I like this idea the best because then I can hear some shit I may not have heard before that may also be difficult to find owing to my location.

I can't go this route with everyone, but I figured most of you will chose option A out of ease. For those that wish to do option B, we can discuss more through PM.

Thanks a lot for all the interest. For any heads near Washington DC, the cover exhibit will be travelling there in April or June (I forget for which festival, it's something with 'folk' in the name I think).

And if you come in here on some bullshit...

... Projectionist Les will get you DEFROSTED.

PS - Sexy Greek co-worker does not come with book.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Vinyl Aquarium [color:white] TM [/color]

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    this site and it's members never cease to amaze
    Thaaaank you